Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesignTime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2021
I don't understand why Apple hasn't provided a simple setting to limit how full to charge the battery. I know they have the charge to 80% feature, but that doesn't work all the time. I was using it for a couple of weeks and then after one night of unusual charging the feature stopped working and I can't get it to work again. So now I have to manually monitor the charging of my devices which seems dumb in 2024. I don't understand why we can't have a simple toggle switch to charge to a max 80% and be done with it.

Reactions: TMax and Basic75

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Tim Apple knows better than poorman @DesignTime, duh. /s

But…also sort of serious (at least from Apple's perspective). Best you could do is make a Shortcut which cuts power to a smart plug, but obviously that only works if you have a smart plug. Not really a solution in my book. https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts/comments/kifsuf
If you had fully implemented automation tasks, like on many Android phones (like Samsung's Routines), you could do that, but this is iOS.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Works most of the time, but every so often Shortcuts flips out and won't run automations or shortcuts properly without a reboot.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
I don't understand why Apple hasn't provided a simple setting to limit how full to charge the battery. I know they have the charge to 80% feature, but that doesn't work all the time. I was using it for a couple of weeks and then after one night of unusual charging the feature stopped working and I can't get it to work again. So now I have to manually monitor the charging of my devices which seems dumb in 2024. I don't understand why we can't have a simple toggle switch to charge to a max 80% and be done with it.
Because the device needs to fully charge every now and then to get proper battery percentages, also turning it on and off constantly when it charges to 100 is a surefire way to **** up the algorithms and such, just put it at the 80 limit toggle and forget about it and don't start changing **** just because it charges to 100 some days.

JemTheWire

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
As stated above, Apple states that with the 80% charge limit enabled, it will on occasion, still charge to 100%. They say it is to help recalibrate the battery level measurement.
Having said that, before I got an iPhone 15 PM which has this feature, I used an App called BATTERY. You could set it to sound an alarm when the battery charge level had reached a point that you set. It doesn't stop the charging process (unlike the new Apple feature) but it does let you know to unplug it. I also created a Shortcut to automatically run the app whenever I plugged my device into a charger. That way I never forgot to set it. I actually still use the app on my iPad Pro.

blotchy-veil

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2024
As stated above, Apple states that with the 80% charge limit enabled, it will on occasion, still charge to 100%. They say it is to help recalibrate the battery level measurement.
Having said that, before I got an iPhone 15 PM which has this feature, I used an App called BATTERY. You could set it to sound an alarm when the battery charge level had reached a point that you set. It doesn't stop the charging process (unlike the new Apple feature) but it does let you know to unplug it. I also created a Shortcut to automatically run the app whenever I plugged my device into a charger. That way I never forgot to set it. I actually still use the app on my iPad Pro.
FYI, there is now an automation that triggers on battery level rather than just plugged/unplugged, so you don't even need an app.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
FYI, there is now an automation that triggers on battery level rather than just plugged/unplugged, so you don't even need an app.
unfortunately shortcuts is quite buggy and i've had more than few times had to reboot to get the automations working again with my smart plugs. but for the most part it does work and the accidental occasional charge to 80 or 100% isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: blotchy-veil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.