Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I’m wondering why there is no default Notes app on the Apple Watch. Is it because it would be cumbersome to write a note? If that is the case then I would heartily disagree. I use Siri and dictation on my iPhone XR to the point that I rarely ever use the included keyboard anymore. And, I add new Reminders on my AW using dictation and I almost never have to make any corrections. Does Apple not have enough faith in their voice recognition system?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I doubt it’s that, can’t you use Siri to take/update notes now as it is?
Nope. Adding milk to my Groceries note on my iPhone XR is as simple as making the request via Siri on the phone. However, this is not possible on Apple Watch series 4, even though the watch is paired to the same iPhone XR. See the below screenshot:

251F605E-22C1-4C19-930B-AC95E1795698.png

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
your best option is to integrate those into the reminders app. Then Siri can add to them.
Nice idea! I could change half of my Notes content into Reminders lists and that would be a big help. Thanks for the idea!

Now, you watch, as soon as I get comfortable doing this Apple will add Notes capability to watchOS. Murphy’s Law :rolleyes:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
You can use a free app called SnipNotes that works great on the Apple Watch.
The SnipNotes description contains this note near the bottom of the app description: “You can try the app free of charge for 7 days”.

No worries, I dislike using 3rd party apps anyway.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Yeah, I also created a list in reminders named grocery. Then when I’m out running I’ll ask Siri to add something to my grocery list and it usually works.
Yeah, I’ve created a number of lists that can serve to replace my notes. It seems to be working well.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I agree OP. I would like to be able to access my existing notes and make new ones (via Siri) right from my Apple Watch. This is actually one of the only things that the Apple Watch doesn’t do that I want.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
You can use voice memos on the Watch.

For shopping/to do lists, try ‘Grocery’ by Conrad Stoll. Very nice, synchs via Reminders, and free.

Reactions: revmacian

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I’m wondering why there is no default Notes app on the Apple Watch. Is it because it would be cumbersome to write a note? If that is the case then I would heartily disagree. I use Siri and dictation on my iPhone XR to the point that I rarely ever use the included keyboard anymore. And, I add new Reminders on my AW using dictation and I almost never have to make any corrections. Does Apple not have enough faith in their voice recognition system?

An odd decision not to have a notes app, even if it was read-only and just for viewing notes. Like the lack of weather and calculator apps on the iPad, I guess there is some stubborn manager at Apple who thinks it's not needed.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I started looking more into what Notes can do. It appears that Notes can display so many thing besides just text and this may be why it isn’t available in the Apple Watch. I have manually converted most of my notes into lists in the Reminders app and they are now available on my Apple Watch.

It may be worthwhile to others to find a plain basic notes app that has an AW component and use that on the AW.

nolajoins

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
this has been my biggest issue with Apple for the last year. Bear will do all of this if you get the pro version but why they chose to integrate a way to see notes (even if you had to have a typed notes only folder) is beyond me. That is the single biggest thing I would use my watch for if they would add it and as it is I hardly wear the thing. One of the main reasons I have all Apple products is to not have to turn to third parties for such things.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
this has been my biggest issue with Apple for the last year. Bear will do all of this if you get the pro version but why they chose to integrate a way to see notes (even if you had to have a typed notes only folder) is beyond me. That is the single biggest thing I would use my watch for if they would add it and as it is I hardly wear the thing. One of the main reasons I have all Apple products is to not have to turn to third parties for such things.
Apple is more likely to hear your request if you make it through their Feedback system: https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

Of course, there's no guarantee that they will act on every request/suggestion, but the probability does increase when those requests/complaints are posted in a way that goes directly to Apple's inbox.

Reactions: nolajoins

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
You can now use a shortcut to create a note from the Apple Watch. Not found a way to view them yet, however.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
You can use voice memos on the Watch.

For shopping/to do lists, try ‘Grocery’ by Conrad Stoll. Very nice, synchs via Reminders, and free.

Just added this app on watch and phone and it works great. Need to use for a while and see how it goes. A couple of test items added via Siri and it works great. See it does have some paid features and want to see how theses work to see if I want them. So far the free part looks good enough!! Thanks for the recommendation!!

nolajoins

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
Actually since I discovered this thread I’ve been playing around with the reminders app and find it suits my needs pretty well. Here forth I will likely just use notes to store temporary pictures I don’t want to archive. Thanks for the ideas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.