Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
I have a Gmail account setup on my phone. I've enabled push in settings and i have IMAP support on in Gmail. In the push settings on the phone, when you click "advanced" it lists all of my mail accounts and what setting I have for push or fetch. My yahoo and .mac accounts are set for push, but the Gmail account does not allow for push. Only selections are fetch and manual. What's up with that?

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Gmail does support Push, in the form of the IMAP IDLE command, which is the industry standard. Go look it up :)

However Apple and Yahoo (they have a "special" relationship as they both hate M$) insist on their own proprietary "P-IMAP" protocol. Mail.app on the Mac supports IDLE and so you get push on Gmail (try it!) but the iPhone version doesn't.

As to why, depends how cynical and pissed off at Apple you are. Right now I'm thinking they deliberately left out IDLE support because then Gmail Push would work and Google's FREE service (which also offers server side filtering, and even offers From address changing if you use Google Apps) would be quite some considerable competition...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.