Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
If they dropped the price by $100, they would actually sell them.

Apple is insane for trying to charge $299 for this device (32gb sucks) when you can buy a new iPhone SE for $399.
They start at $199, but I agree, it's likely because not many people are buying iPod touches anymore, so few would get sent to become refurbished. I would imagine they'd sell a lot more to younger kids or people just wanting another iOS device if they lowered the base price to $149 or something.

Reactions: Elitegate

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Apple is insane for trying to charge $299 for this device (32gb sucks) when you can buy a new iPhone SE for $399.

I don't get that logic, though it seems to be absolutely necessary for many people to complain about things they don't actually use. It's literally half the price of the SE for the 32gb model, which is great for use in home automation and other ancillary iOS duties.

Maybe these are solutions particular to people who actually take full advantage of the iEcosystem but for what I do with them at home I'd rather buy two dozen Touches instead of SE's.

Reactions: Slix

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
I don't get that logic, though it seems to be absolutely necessary for many people to complain about things they don't actually use. It's literally half the price of the SE for the 32gb model, which is great for use in home automation and other ancillary iOS duties.

Maybe these are solutions particular to people who actually take full advantage of the iEcosystem but for what I do with them at home I'd rather buy two dozen Touches instead of SE's.

It's really not half as the 32gb storage is worthless. So you are forced to spend $299 for storage space for your apps and music, the cost difference is $100 at that point for a FAR better device that will get longer IOS support.

This is why I feel the 128gb model should be $199 or at the least make the starting storage space 64gb for that price.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
It's really not half as the 32gb storage is worthless. So you are forced to spend $299 for storage space for your apps and music, the cost difference is $100 at that point for a FAR better device that will get longer IOS support.

This is why I feel the 128gb model should be $199 or at the least make the starting storage space 64gb for that price.

Shoulda woulda coulda.

I mean, all my Touches are 32Gb and they do their job just fine.

I don't doubt they'll do that eventually but on their own schedule.

Reactions: Slix and Elitegate

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Shoulda woulda coulda.

I mean, all my Touches are 32Gb and they do their job just fine.

I don't doubt they'll do that eventually but on their own schedule.

They work for you, but clearly not for all (which is why more storage is available). I have 30gb of music on my iPhone, the 32gb won’t work and I don’t want to spend $100 more because of it.

The SE made sense to me, especially at $200 off msrp by upgrading at Walmart. Paid $349 for a 256gb SE vs $299 for an iPod touch 128gb. $50 more for a WAY better device.

Reactions: LizKat

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
OK, whatever works for you - I don't doubt that most regular people will make the same decision.

Like I said, if you're actually taking full advantage of the iEcosystem (Match, Music in terms of music, 2Tb iCloud in terms of storage), even if I wasn't using each Touch as basically a remote base storage is not really going to be a problem for most uses. But again, I doubt most people have a daily end-to-end Apple device experience.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney

The thing is... no A10 device has 64GB of storage (unless apple ditch’s the 32GB version which is unlikely).

but yeah at least that price for 128GB or reduce the 32GB price even lower

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
They work for you, but clearly not for all (which is why more storage is available). I have 30gb of music on my iPhone, the 32gb won’t work and I don’t want to spend $100 more because of it.

It doesn't work for you. For other people it's enough. Now on my iPhone 32 or even 64 GB is nowhere near enough, but for an iPod touch 32 GB is plenty if you just use your iPod touch for music (and not for games for example which fill up storage). You have a 30 GB music library, my music library is only 4 GBs for example. That's still ~650 Songs. And you also get to use Spotify / Apple Music to download songs to your iPod for offline listening because the iPod doesn't have cellular obviously.

An iPod touch in 2020 will not be anyone's primary device, those times are over.

Most people use it as a music player for the gym or for the car, in which case 32 GB should be enough because who has 30GB+ of music at all times? Maybe at home on your computer, but on the go?

Or for home automation, to use with HomePod etc... it's also popular in bars and restaurants to take orders and send them to the kitchen (Wi-Fi is there anyways and 32 GB is enough for one simple app), or for the kids so they get to enjoy some games on long car rides etc... 32 GB is also enough for a few titles that are graphics-intensive.

I get that it's a no-brainer if you need more than 32 GB. 299$ 128 GB iPod touch or 399$ 64 GB iPhone SE. Obviously you pick the SE.

Reactions: Slix

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
It doesn't work for you. For other people it's enough. Now on my iPhone 32 or even 64 GB is nowhere near enough, but for an iPod touch 32 GB is plenty if you just use your iPod touch for music (and not for games for example which fill up storage). You have a 30 GB music library, my music library is only 4 GBs for example. That's still ~650 Songs. And you also get to use Spotify / Apple Music to download songs to your iPod for offline listening because the iPod doesn't have cellular obviously.

An iPod touch in 2020 will not be anyone's primary device, those times are over.

Most people use it as a music player for the gym or for the car, in which case 32 GB should be enough because who has 30GB+ of music at all times? Maybe at home on your computer, but on the go?

Or for home automation, to use with HomePod etc... it's also popular in bars and restaurants to take orders and send them to the kitchen (Wi-Fi is there anyways and 32 GB is enough for one simple app), or for the kids so they get to enjoy some games on long car rides etc... 32 GB is also enough for a few titles that are graphics-intensive.

I get that it's a no-brainer if you need more than 32 GB. 299$ 128 GB iPod touch or 399$ 64 GB iPhone SE. Obviously you pick the SE.

The iPhone SE can be had for $199 at Walmart.
The thing is... no A10 device has 64GB of storage (unless apple ditch’s the 32GB version which is unlikely).

but yeah at least that price for 128GB or reduce the 32GB price even lower

That’s all I’m saying 128gb iPod touch for $199 and Apple would be selling through these things. Instead they charge way too much and they sit because most people need more than 26gb of actual storage.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010

That’s all I’m saying 128gb iPod touch for $199 and Apple would be selling through these things. Instead they charge way too much and they sit because most people need more than 26gb of actual storage.
Except the iPod touch comes without a contract or anything, and that $199 price for the SE requires a contract.

I don't disagree that the SE is a bad deal (I just bought one too), but there are definitely people that don't need that kind of power, or storage, or physical size for a device. Or a phone plan.

I think the iPod touch will probably sadly live on life support for a while longer, but I hope they upgrade the specs and storage at some point, or at least lower the price. It still is a great device for what it is.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014

For 199$ it's a steal, but that price is limited and a special offer.

I know, Apple likes their upselling strategy.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Except the iPod touch comes without a contract or anything, and that $199 price for the SE requires a contract.

I don't disagree that the SE is a bad deal (I just bought one too), but there are definitely people that don't need that kind of power, or storage, or physical size for a device. Or a phone plan.

I think the iPod touch will probably sadly live on life support for a while longer, but I hope they upgrade the specs and storage at some point, or at least lower the price. It still is a great device for what it is.

The SE doesn’t require a contract at that price. I know because I purchased one already.

tiger2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Apple no longer has 6th generation refurbished touches on their website. Perhaps a sign 7th gens will come soon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.