Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Why do carriers discriminate against the iPad and not offer unlimited data, preferably T-Mobile and Sprint? Couldn't one just pop their T-Mobile sim card into the iPad to get unlimited data?

Andd with the 200mb free data, how does that work? What's an active T-Mobile internet account?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
T-Mobile will block data from working in the iPad if you drop in a sim card from a phone.

Carriers like AT&T and Verizon used to offer unlimited data plans for the iPad but that was when the iPad first came out. Many people still have those plans active today.

You could probably buy one of those plans on eBay but you will likely pay several hundred dollars for one.

I can take my T-Mobile unlimited phone sim card and put it in my Nexus 4 and tether all day long to my iPad. You could do something like that. You just need a phone like the Nexus 4 that allows tethering and it will not count towards the tethering allotment.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
most carriers have got away from unlimited data because of jailbreaking and teethering, people were paying for data on one devicve and using it to connect every device they own

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
T-Mobile will give you unlimited data on an ipad if you have a postpaid plan. So switch to postpaid from prepaid if that's important to you. Just as with the phones it's 2G data once you've used your allotment of high speed data.

As for high speed data -- I believe every carrier will give you as much data as you wish to buy.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
People would abuse the data. iPad uses data like a PC whereas phones typically consume less data than tablets.

Not sure about Sprint, T-Mobile technically does offer unlimited iPad data. You just get slowed to 2G speeds after consuming your allotted data like the person said above. If you need extra, they're happy to sell you more high speed data.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
People would abuse the data. iPad uses data like a PC whereas phones typically consume less data than tablets.

Not sure about Sprint, T-Mobile technically does offer unlimited iPad data. You just get slowed to 2G speeds after consuming your allotted data like the person said above. If you need extra, they're happy to sell you more high speed data.

T-Mobiles data plans are not unlimited. Only the data plans for phones are unlimited.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
T-Mobiles data plans are not unlimited. Only the data plans for phones are unlimited.

I have a 3gb/mo T-Mobile data plan on my iPad rMini. If I exceed the 3gb/mo allotment, I have 2G-speed unlimited data for the remainder of my billing period.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have a 3gb/mo T-Mobile data plan on my iPad rMini. If I exceed the 3gb/mo allotment, I have 2G-speed unlimited data for the remainder of my billing period.

I have the $30 2.5GB plan. When I use it all, the data stops. I have also tried the $40 3.5GB plan. The data stops on that one as well when I use it all.

They don't have unlimited data on the data only plans, it's just the phone plans. They prompt you to buy another month when you run out.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I have the $30 2.5GB plan. When I use it all, the data stops. I have also tried the $40 3.5GB plan. The data stops on that one as well when I use it all.

They don't have unlimited data on the data only plans, it's just the phone plans. They prompt you to buy another month when you run out.

My apologies, I meant to say 2.5gb.

From T-Mobile's tablet/hotspot mobile data site:

What happens if I go over the limit of my high-speed data?

At T-Mobile we don't charge overage fees. Once you have used all the high speed data allotted on your data option, your data speed will automatically convert to up to 2G web speeds for the remainder of your billing cycle. At the beginning of your next billing cycle youll be back to nationwide 4G data.

link: http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/mobile-internet.html

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I wish it worked that way but it hasn't in the seven months I've been using them on my iPad.

You may want to give them a ring? It's been working that way for me -- once I hit my allotment (after getting the 80%, 90% used warnings) the speed gets throttled to virtually useless. That being said, it's sufficient for bare-bones background updating, etc.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
You may want to give them a ring? It's been working that way for me -- once I hit my allotment (after getting the 80%, 90% used warnings) the speed gets throttled to virtually useless. That being said, it's sufficient for bare-bones background updating, etc.

That must be for the auto renew that you go to 2G once the data runs out. I have never done the auto renew.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
T-Mobile will give you unlimited data on an ipad if you have a postpaid plan.

That must be for auto renew. I have never done the auto renew.

That must be for the auto renew that you go to 2G once the data runs out. I have never done the auto renew.

There's the difference we were looking for :)

As I stated earlier, it's for the postpaid plans. (and thus by implication, it's not for the prepaid data)

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I've got the 200 MB from T mobile and it was pretty easy to set up. I got a free SIM card from their site during a special offer. I technically have an account with them, but I'm not paying anything.
It sucks that the free 200 is only good for a year. After that, I'll probably just buy data as needed.

yoshimeow

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I've got the 200 MB from T mobile and it was pretty easy to set up. I got a free SIM card from their site during a special offer. I technically have an account with them, but I'm not paying anything.
It sucks that the free 200 is only good for a year. After that, I'll probably just buy data as needed.

its free 200mb for life of the tablet

Jasonkrick

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
I tether my phone to my iPad and other devices for an additional $30/month on my unlimited data plan.

I called and realized I use about 25gig of data a month…the overwhelming majority of it from tethering.

I have asked verizon if they have unlimited data for tablets and got a pretty fast 'No'.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Why do carriers discriminate against the iPad and not offer unlimited data, preferably T-Mobile and Sprint? Couldn't one just pop their T-Mobile sim card into the iPad to get unlimited data?

Andd with the 200mb free data, how does that work? What's an active T-Mobile internet account?

They do not offer it as people would abuse it and hog the bandwidth. Plus the carriers would like to make money!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why do carriers discriminate against the iPad and not offer unlimited data,

ATT and VZW do not offer unlimited data, they have grandfathered plans but no new plans are unlimited. While sprint has jumped on the unlimited data bus, I didn't think T-Mo did though I could be wrong.

If you want to use sprint with unlimited data, tether your phone and use it that way, granted not an ideal situation but its doable

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
AWhile sprint has jumped on the unlimited data bus, I didn't think T-Mo did though I could be wrong.

What T-Mobile offers is unlimited 2G (EDGE) data once you've used your allocation of high-speed (LTE/4G) data for the month. Note this is only for postpaid accounts and doesn't apply to prepaid.

Neat concept really; you're not completely cut off and can still get email and so forth.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Why do carriers discriminate against the iPad and not offer unlimited data,?

Money.

They feel that iPad users would use more data and thus cost them more so it's not worth it to them. Whereas the phone generally doesn't use that much data, they believe, so it's worth the PR bonus to have those plans to look good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.