Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
I still dont understand why nobody even mentioned how ******** pencil is. Perpendicular and horizontal strokes are fine but diagonal strokes are wobbly unless you do a fast stroke as you can see on the video. Other than that pen tip is too thick and pen is too heavy for a longer period of work..also useless features like double tap cause you loose grip while doing so. This issue is present since 2019, the device I tested below is M2, I didn't have a chance to test new M4, so if anyone can do the test, that would be nice. Just make sure you try different materials as ruler in order to not to effect the screen and tip.

Everyone still goes for a piss contest between M2 and M4 devices based on how new screen is "tad brighter" or "a bit sharper" than before or no blooming on pitch black room, which is a use case of watching Netflix in bed.
Those are no pro usage scenarios or set backs for a pro user to get creative.
Nobody is actually saying what kind of productivity and creativity they were unable to execute with previous series until M4.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
This is a known issue; it has been discussed since the first gen Pencil and is a problem for most digitizers in the industry except, apparently, Wacom.

I am not an expert by any means, I just remember this being brought up when the first Pencil was released by several reviewers. If you Google it, you’ll find lots of discussions about it on sites like Reddit.

EDIT: Here’s an example from four years ago for you: https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/s/5hhJZzk9lc

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I think it’s possibly because most artists that want to draw a diagonal line (or any perfectly straight line, really) are going to draw from one point to another, and then hold for a second and have the iPad draw the line. It’s a fairly well known way to draw perfectly straight lines on iOS/iPadOS.

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
This is a known issue; it has been discussed since the first gen Pencil and is a problem for most digitizers in the industry except, apparently, Wacom.

I am not an expert by any means, I just remember this being brought up when the first Pencil was released by several reviewers. If you Google it, you’ll find lots of discussions about it on sites like Reddit.

EDIT: Here’s an example from four years ago for you: https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/s/5hhJZzk9lc
Thanks for that, I was mostly looking at video reviews for the issue. Well after 5 years still present. Someone said the new m4 doesn't have it but I have to test it myself of course.
Also there is no excuse for a device runs around $1300-$2100 price tag with the Pro attached to its name.

Reactions: maxoakland

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
I think it’s possibly because most artists that want to draw a diagonal line (or any perfectly straight line, really) are going to draw from one point to another, and then hold for a second and have the iPad draw the line. It’s a fairly well known way to draw perfectly straight lines on iOS/iPadOS.
It's not about drawing straight line. This is a hardware issue effecting any kinda stroke that does not go perpendicular or horizontal, they will have some wobble in them. so lines will never be smooth but have some jitter. on the thickness of the line. Which I mostly notice while drawing.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
Does this work on all drawing apps?

Reactions: emrelee

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
So far I checked all for the last 5 years, especially iPad notes since it native app. I can't recall any works better unless you get some software support activated for smooth lines. I haven't tried new updated versions since last year or Photoshop iPad version for that matter. Infinite painter was kinda better handling the issue so far I can recall. But at the end the goal is to achieve natural behavior of pencil/pen/brush on digital environment. yet it can't even achieve the basic stroke.

This slow stroke jitter should be tested on M4 on most apps to make sure issue is resolved with newer pencils and new screen.
Especially on native note app.

Last edited:

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
So far I checked all for the last 5 years, especially iPad notes since it native app. I can't recall any works better unless you get some software support activated for smooth lines. But at the end the goal is to achieve natural behavior of pencil/pen/brush on digital environment. yet it can't even achieve the basic stroke.
Natural behaviour of a brush would also not be a dead straight line unless you’ve got a very steady hand. The apps I’ve seen also have a ruler, this ensures a straight line at any angle

Reactions: G5isAlive

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I just tried Procreate and it’s there, too, but Pixelmator doesn’t do it (unless it’s a setting). I’m assuming it’s an API level thing that any app that wants to can do the same. Apple’s apps, of course, does it.

UPDATE: Apparently, Pixelmator HAD it
But it doesn’t work anymore.

Last edited:

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
Natural behaviour of a brush would also not be a dead straight line unless you’ve got a very steady hand. The apps I’ve seen also have a ruler, this ensures a straight line at any angle
I am not sure if you are in the field, drawing, designing or any other visual art related field, but to draw a slow steady line why would I need a ruler? lines does not wobble in real life like it did on the video. lines doesn't get super straight but still doesn't wobble. unless your hand and pencil gets different frictions on the surface.
Here is a classic pencil drawing I attached.
In digital art you can't use slower strokes without getting wobble. therefore strokes are kinda faster. Also, Wacom doesn't have it. Apple has no excuse for a device $1k-$2k price tag

Attachments

• 0024.jpg
    0024.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 54

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Plenty of pro artists use ipads to create amazing art even with this limitation..
I used a ruler in Apple’s FreeForm and I couldn’t get a wobble anywhere near that dramatic. What was interesting, though, was that it was hard to hold the ruler to the screen due to my darned fingers. :) I ended up having to use something non-conductive to hold it firm. :)

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It’s not just straight lines, it’s also when working with curved stencils:

3 x gebogene Schablonen zum Zeichnen, Zeichnen, Zeichnen, Nähen, Basteln Wie abgebildet

• Wow
Reactions: emrelee

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
I am not sure if you are in the field, drawing, designing or any other visual art related field, but to draw a slow steady line why would I need a ruler? lines does not wobble in real life like it did on the video. lines doesn't get super straight but still doesn't wobble. unless your hand and pencil gets different frictions on the surface.
Here is a classic pencil drawing I attached.
In digital art you can't use slower strokes without getting wobble. therefore strokes are kinda faster. Also, Wacom doesn't have it. Apple has no excuse for a device $1k-$2k price tag
Friction is one thing, but drawing a dead-straight line freehand is something many people struggle with. I only draw as a bad hobby but one of my close friends is a tattoo artist and has used an iPad for years to do all of his drawings, he’s never mentioned this being any sort of problem

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
It’s not just straight lines, it’s also when working with curved stencils:

3 x gebogene Schablonen zum Zeichnen, Zeichnen, Zeichnen, Nähen, Basteln Wie abgebildet
I haven't tried those. but I can always notice the wobbly lines waiting to be formed when the speed of stroke drops. or when there is no any kind of smooth line support activated.

Last edited:

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
Friction is one thing, but drawing a dead-straight line freehand is something many people struggle with. I only draw as a bad hobby but one of my close friends is a tattoo artist and has used an iPad for years to do all of his drawings, he’s never mentioned this being any sort of problem
so you are saying there is no wobble caused by iPad but I am doing it myself? what's your point? People can even draw with microsoft paint, I even used to color artworks with mouse back in '97. That has nothing to do with the shortcomings of the tech provided by the biggest tech company out there for the pro artists.
Point here is having iPad Pro delivering a steady pencil rather than chip upgrades or 1 mm thinner devices than previous version or tad brighter screens.. that' has nothing to do with being able draw but pencil behavior is.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
so you are saying there is no wobble caused by iPad but I am doing it myself? what's your point? People can even draw with microsoft paint, I even used to color artworks with mouse back in '97. That has nothing to do with the shortcomings of the tech provided by the biggest tech company out there for the pro artists.
Point here is having iPad Pro delivering a steady pencil rather than chip upgrades or 1 mm thinner devices than previous version or tad brighter screens.. that' has nothing to do with being able draw but pencil behavior is.
No im not saying that at all. Im just not sure how big of a problem it is when so many professionals use it and make great art with it

Reactions: G5isAlive

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
No im not saying that at all. Im just not sure how big of a problem it is when so many professionals use it and make great art with it
Well it's not a problem to stop you doing any artwork..after all nothing is. u can even draw with etch a sketch.

After all there was no problem with the 1,5mm extra thickness in M2 devices vs M4, or image production of the micro led screens vs oled as well.
Real issues were with screen glossiness, pencil weight, ineffectiveness of pencil touch gestures, thickness of pencil tips and unable to use shortcuts with keyboard while drawing cause there is no drawing angle on the Magic Keyboard. terrible pencil placement on device while carrying it around which falls down a lot.
if they were handing out iPad Pro's for free or for $349, then I wouldnt even bothered to check any of these. But they ask $2100 for a nano coated version which is the bare minimum requirement for drawing pleasure, so I do for sure roast and question their devices that I have been using since 2003 starting with Powerbook g4.

They bash the real art tools trying to point out their device is superior in every way, yet it can't even create a straight line. If there were no other devices to do that, I wouldn't be roasting them but Wacom can do it.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Pretty much my experience with pros who use iPad for artwork. if it was a big deal, there would be 24X7 media coverage and artists going after Apple. I don’t think many would consider upgrading even if Apple fixed it for M4.

OP if it is a big deal for you, look for alternatives or better file a defect/enhancement request with Apple.

emrelee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2021
Pretty much my experience with pros who use iPad for artwork. if it was a big deal, there would be 24X7 media coverage and artists going after Apple. I don’t think many would consider upgrading even if Apple fixed it for M4.

OP if it is a big deal for you, look for alternatives or better file a defect/enhancement request with Apple.
Many artist in the field working for a decade doesn't work solely with iPad Pro, perhaps use it as a side device mostly for fun purposes. Whoever just only uses iPad Pro are probably don't have much of a digital artwork background prior to iPad Pro release in 2018. Top artist like head of design and concept art in Marvel even uses regular tablets of Wacom or perhaps Cintiq models larger than 16" with adjustable base, cause flat screens doesn't allow you to work long hours due to poor ergonomics.

So back to my point: there is nothing serious to talk about how bright or slim the device is as a pro art tool. No Mac OS, No keyboard shortcut usage, no matte screen under $2100. Not even a suitable drawing angle option on Magic Keyboard.
I hope at least they solved the pencil response issues with this new screen and pencil.

They should have bashed wallets and bank accounts rather than art tools and instruments in that giant press.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
So back to my point: there is nothing serious to talk about how bright or slim the device is as a pro art tool. No Mac OS, No keyboard shortcut usage, no matte screen under $2100. Not even a suitable drawing angle option on Magic Keyboard.
I hope at least they solved the pencil response issues with this new screen and pencil.

They should have bashed wallets and bank accounts rather than art tools and instruments in that giant press.
While I agree Apple should try and fix this issue (especially since Wacom appears to have done so) it's not worth getting emotional or invested into it.

Buy what works for you - if it doesn't, best return it. It's up to Apple to improve the product to a point where it's actually viable. If not, you don't have to buy it. Just get a regular iPad Air that satisfies basic tablet needs (or a different tablet brand if that suits your budget / needs better).

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Many artist in the field working for a decade doesn't work solely with iPad Pro, perhaps use it as a side device mostly for fun purposes. Whoever just only uses iPad Pro are probably don't have much of a digital artwork background prior to iPad Pro release in 2018. Top artist like head of design and concept art in Marvel even uses regular tablets of Wacom or perhaps Cintiq models larger than 16" with adjustable base, cause flat screens doesn't allow you to work long hours due to poor ergonomics.

Hope you feeling better after getting it off the chest. Apple or any other company/product isn’t worth stressing, and getting too emotional. Enjoy life, if iPad isn’t to your liking or needs, use something else.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Funny. I tried drawing a straight line on the M4: no problem. I use a physical ruler to draw a straight line: wobble! Weird. It must have something to do with the effect of pressing the pencil against an edge that confuses the detection of the pencil.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.