Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
As a recent cord-cutter I'm trying to reduce the clunkiness for access to local news. I know how to use Airplay to get local news that's streamed over the web onto the TV via the ATV, but the ATV is a serious computer with serious capabilities. Why should I need yet another computer simply to run a web browser and push the screen onto the TV (yet another computer) via the ATV? It's probably unrealistic to expect each local station to provide an ATV app to stream their content, but many of them already stream it online, so why is there not an app on the ATV that allows me to tap into what's already there??? Yes, Airplay, blah blah, but why? And while I can do the Airplay linkup, my wife is tech challenged and Airplay is right out. So, why, or more exactly, why not? (I do get local stations over the air using an antenna, but at times the signal is problematic. Again, why a clunky fix when a 21st century option should be available?)

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Probably because if they added a browser, combined with mouse and keyboard support … they’ve made a device that would legit cannabalize a huge swath of the base model Mac sales.

For 1/9th the cost (or better)

A lot of base model users just need a browser and they are good to go

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
A browser has been on my tvOS wishlist before tvOS was a thing.

I don't think it will ever happen.

As for why, my guess is that it has to do with Apple's bottom line.

Flamingdeathbolts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2023
I use a HD antenna from BestBuy to watch local news and football. I am in the suburbs and get all the local channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and few other stragglers.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Probably because if they added a browser, combined with mouse and keyboard support … they’ve made a device that would legit cannabalize a huge swath of the base model Mac sales.

I don't expect Apple to do this because $$$. It will probably require a jailbreak and sideloading, if that's possible. I don't "speak" tvOS.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
My recollection (theory?) is that originally it was because Apple wanted developers to create tvOS apps, and not just port web apps to tvOS, which might lend towards a sub-par experience on the platform.

However, due to low consumer demand (at least compared to the iOS App Store) we now see that they allow the major players (Amazon, YouTube, etc.) to upload web application ports, so I don't know why we see this restriction in place today...

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014

I don't know... most "base model" users are mainly doom-scrolling Instagram and Facebook, or shopping online - all activities that work best on a mobile device.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
I’d just think a browser would be clunky to use on the ATV. Airplay is hardly challenging as tech goes.

Reactions: Rnd-chars

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Uh, sure, that sounds fun. Just seems like a bother to me. Airplay is so damn easy.

Not sure why you are bringing up Airplay?

A ton of folks could have a full fledged computer out of an ATV with BT accesories.

It's kind of incredible we got here, but we did, and a lot of folks basically just need a browser.

Heck, even iClouds website is great and fully functional for all that stuff.
I use it all the time on Windows (in the browser) for my Notes. I used to pluck from my Apple photos on there also, but I've since synced up my Apple photos with the Windows 11 Photos App (which works great -- kudos to all involved)

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Not sure why you are bringing up Airplay?

A ton of folks could have a full fledged computer out of an ATV with BT accesories.

It's kind of incredible we got here, but we did, and a lot of folks basically just need a browser.

Heck, even iClouds website is great and fully functional for all that stuff.
I use it all the time on Windows (in the browser) for my Notes. I used to pluck from my Apple photos on there also, but I've since synced up my Apple photos with the Windows 11 Photos App (which works great -- kudos to all involved)
The OP brought up Airplay, and said their partner was tech challenged. If one wants to use the TV screen for browsing, Airplay can cast your iPad Safari browser for example. Different strokes, if you want it, no objection here, I usually have 3 other devices in the living room with browsers I can cast if need be but I personally don’t have the need.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The OP brought up Airplay, and said their partner was tech challenged.

Gotcha - My apologies

I've always come at this one from the perspective of my relatives in their 80's who do nothing but use a browser.

They are on a budget and so they use some pretty cheap PC hardware but I'd love to have them on something Apple to keep them out of trouble a bit ... even a Mac can be too much and when we tried a Mac Mini, macOS still didn't allow the scaling flexibility they wanted (HUGE TEXT in places - LOL).

I'd always dreamed of a pretty locked down desktop OS of some kind and an ATV with accessories seems like the holy grail of a simple, safe, "just a browser" experience for them.

Oh well - doesn't seem to be in the cards

Reactions: Edd70

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Cause it would open the flood gates of what users expect. Give them a browser and they want all the plug-ins, and more Ram, and external storage option to download stuff and access it, and browser apps, and etc. Apple doesn't want to deal with that.

Reactions: Rnd-chars
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.