Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Clearly Apple is separating iphone and ipad OSes which is great, but I wonder why they didn't rename iOS to iPhoneOS? That is how it was originally called anyway. It would have been great if they called it that - it would make more sense as people do not know what iOS is, but would know iPhoneOS. The new name would also nicely fit in line with the rest of the lineup - watchOS, tvOS, macOS etc.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
Clearly Apple is separating iphone and ipad OSes which is great, but I wonder why they didn't rename iOS to iPhoneOS? That is how it was originally called anyway. It would have been great if they called it that - it would make more sense as people do not know what iOS is, but would know iPhoneOS. The new name would also nicely fit in line with the rest of the lineup - watchOS, tvOS, macOS etc.
I can think of at least one reason: the iPod touch that they released last week.

Reactions: StevenRCE0

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I can think of at least one reason: the iPod touch that they released last week.
That, and iOS is the original Apple mobile operating system. The others have all been spun out from it for their own specific class of devices, so it makes sense to have the original retain the name iOS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That, and iOS is the original Apple mobile operating system. The others have all been spun out from it for their own specific class of devices, so it makes sense to have the original retain the name iOS.
Well, they did have iPhone OS before they went with iOS.

Reactions: MisterSavage

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why do they have to have their own names? I get that iPad needs to be more than a blown up iPhone interface but why does it need its own OS name? Why not just call it iOS for iPad, iOS for iPhone, iOS for iPod Touch. Apple’s marketing team is horrible with names.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Why not just call it iOS for iPad, iOS for iPhone, iOS for iPod Touch. Apple’s marketing team is horrible with names.

That sounds like the __same__ OS for different devices vs. a discrete OS flavor with device specific support and features - plus the need to version the device specific versions independently with separate development roadmaps (see tvOS and watchOS ...)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Why do they have to have their own names? I get that iPad needs to be more than a blown up iPhone interface but why does it need its own OS name? Why not just call it iOS for iPad, iOS for iPhone, iOS for iPod Touch. Apple’s marketing team is horrible with names.

THOSE are names, too. iPhoneOS = iOS for iPhone; iPadOS = iOS for iPad, etc... a rose by any other name...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That sounds like the __same__ OS for different devices vs. a discrete OS flavor with device specific support and features - plus the need to version the device specific versions independently with separate development roadmaps (see tvOS and watchOS ...)
iPadOS is iOS, right? What’s different about the OS on iPad this year vs iOS 11? Seems to me the name change is nothing more than marketing, maybe Apple marketing employees listened to various Apple-centric podcasts wishing for iPadOS.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
iPadOS is iOS, right? What’s different about the OS on iPad this year vs iOS 11? Seems to me the name change is nothing more than marketing, maybe Apple marketing employees listened to various Apple-centric podcasts wishing for iPadOS.

They are adding iPad-specific features to the iPad version of what was previously iOS and calling it iPadOS... I am sure that part of the goal was to simplify the coding within the monolithic iOS... split out iPad specific features and streamline the code.

You can argue against it all you want, but (1) it makes sense and (2) Apple is doing it regardless of your opinion.

That's just the way it is.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I am sure that part of the goal was to simplify the coding within the monolithic iOS... split out iPad specific features and streamline the code.

Yep. There's several reasons from a software engineering standpoint - and I say this as a software engineer :D

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
iPadOS IS iOS13, they just changed the name to be fancy, but its still the same mobileOS. Only macOS has earned its right to have its own name.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

True. I actually didn’t see that coming last week with the update with the iPod refresh 7th Gen, especially being it only received the A10 fusion/storage increase, anyways, I gather iOS is just fitting for those specific devices, but Apple also trying to use marketing in the same respect. [Kinda like how Force touch on the Apple Watch and 3D Touch on the iPhone almost exactly the same thing, but just different terminology to separate the functionality for both devices.]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.