Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukenorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Why did the stores not have enough iphone 3Gs in stock for the first day? I am sure they more than knew they'd quickly sell out. I really don't wanna hear supply and demand idea or the "we gotta create hype" sorta thing. They knew this would sell like hot cakes. Why have people waiting? If they can make enough ipods, they can surely make enough iphones!

I see the reverse happening. Some people are going to be tired of waiting to get theirs then talk themselves out of buying it all together. I see lost sales for Apple.

Any thoughts?

ramblintoad

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
I'll make this as simple as possible

Last year on June 29th iPhone was only released for the U.S. All the phones they made then went straight there.

Today, was a worldwide release, all on the same day. iPhones don't magically appear, they have to be produced. There were a lot more iPhones today compared to last year, but not in your area.

So, in conclusion: The laws of supply and demand answer your question

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
$199 compared to $499 and all the hype the first one brought to Apple. This time around people had a chance to try out the iPhone and to see what Apple has to offer in the cell phone industry. The cheaper price brought in a lot of new customers for AT&T. The same day worldwide release also didn't help matters as mentioned above. I would love to see first day figures.

Edit: BTW depending on where you located there are many stores still with iPhones. Check Apple's website, there are only four stores in California that are completely out of stock.

lukenorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I'll make this as simple as possible

Last year on June 29th iPhone was only released for the U.S. All the phones they made then went straight there.

Today, was a worldwide release, all on the same day. iPhones don't magically appear, they have to be produced. There were a lot more iPhones today compared to last year, but not in your area.

So, in conclusion: The laws of supply and demand answer your question

I still think they had plenty of time to produce them... But it now looks like Apple stores had enough, ATT stores did not. So looks like Apple dropped the ball on stores other than theirs.

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
I still think they had plenty of time to produce them... But it now looks like Apple stores had enough, ATT stores did not. So looks like Apple dropped the ball on stores other than theirs.

God. An Apple Store gets first dibbs on an Apple product? Color me surprised.

This happened last year too, this problem isn't new.

DWrightsGirlx26

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
I agree, I'm almost ready to talk myself out of this crazy game of trying to find an iPhone, much less paying for it $105/month, I could by 12 iPhone 8gbs by then. Apple had enough time to produce them, I don't want to hear this whole worldwide release. All they want to do is make themselves look good by saying it's been sold out for days/weeks/however long.

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
If I was apple I would have done the same thing...stock my stores to the gills! And that is just what apple did. Only about 10 Apple stores sold out...but the ones in the bigger cities have stock..

Go to the apple store if you can. I know it sucks to live in a small town. In texas in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston...there are at least 2 apple stores per city. Apple aint playing around in Texas. San Antonio just opened up a second store a few weeks ago.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
Apple hoarded their phones at their stores and left AT&T stores with very few...screwing over a lot of existing AT&T customers.

Apple is the one at fault here...not AT&T...AT&T is at the mercy of what Apple is sending them. And Apple just isn't sending them enough.

DWrightsGirlx26

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
A bit off topic, yes, but does anyone know why Philadelphia has no Apple? I believe we're currently the sixth largest city in America, yet we still have to travel at least a half hour or so to get to one! We also only have less than 10 or so AT&T stores in the city that stock iPhones..I don't get this!! :confused:

Apple hoarded their phones at their stores and left AT&T stores with very few...screwing over a lot of existing AT&T customers.

Apple is the one at fault here...not AT&T...AT&T is at the mercy of what Apple is sending them. And Apple just isn't sending them enough.

Boo Hoo, most Apple fans don't even care about AT&T but that's who they picked, what can you do? :p

Of course Apple will care about Apple FIRST, I wouldn't have it any other way! Shoulda went to an Apple store I guess! :eek: ;) :)

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
Boo Hoo, most Apple fans don't even care about AT&T but that's who they picked, what can you do? :p

Of course Apple will care about Apple FIRST, I wouldn't have it any other way! Shoulda went to an Apple store I guess! :eek: ;) :)

I'll refrain from the rude comment I first typed in.

Some people don't have that option due to the nature of their account situation. Upgrade Eligible? Apple can't help you...gotta go to AT&T. Have a corporate or student discount...again...Apple can't help you. If they would have made it so that everyone could go to either Apple or AT&T then your comment would be appropriate.

You can take your iPhone and shove it up your ass Apple fanboy.
(different comment I decided to use)

lukenorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I'll refrain from the rude comment I first typed in.

Some people don't have that option due to the nature of their account situation. Upgrade Eligible? Apple can't help you...gotta go to AT&T. Have a corporate or student discount...again...Apple can't help you. If they would have made it so that everyone could go to either Apple or AT&T then your comment would be appropriate.

But you are still going to buy one. I see it in your signature!

height="344"></embed></object>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxq90xmYUs

Hahaha, are you serious? Yes, I am proud to be an Apple fanboy for over 15 years! I don't have an iPhone yet, and I'm not bitching that I didn't get one today either...

I'm sorry you didn't get one on day ONE, tomorrow's a new day! Apple makes great products, and I really feel bad that you didn't get one today, but if you want it that bad you will come back. That's the price of a GLOBAL re-launch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.