Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tosui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I think there's an issue that we, as customers of the App Store, need to raise a fuss about. Specifically, I'm wondering why when I purchase (for example) OmniFocus for iPhone ($19.99), the only way I can synchronize with my mac is to purchase the desktop version ($79.95). So what should be a $20 item is really $100!

What annoys me is that if I had purchased an earlier copy of the same product I would only need to pay a reduced price (e.g., $59.99). So why aren't software companies offering discounts for existing users on either operating system?

I think perhaps we need to start voicing our concerns about having to pay full price for the same product, when they're **intended** to work with each other!!

(I should mention, the only reason I use OmniFocus as an example is because I like the product and use it. However, there are numerous examples - especially in the Getting Things Done arena - where we want our iPhones to sync with data on our Macs, and vice versa. This is not a dig at Omni.)

T

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I agree with you on some form of discounted service. I have the desktop (which I bought for 59 in the prerelease) and I am very interested in the touch version. 20$ is high, but I guarantee, it's probably one of the best got to have apps out there. The thing that sucks for me, is to be able to use it and sync in real time, I have to now buy MOBILE ME! So really a 20$ product is going to cost me somewhere around 100$. Ouch.

erickg

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
I agree with you on some form of discounted service. I have the desktop (which I bought for 59 in the prerelease) and I am very interested in the touch version. 20$ is high, but I guarantee, it's probably one of the best got to have apps out there. The thing that sucks for me, is to be able to use it and sync in real time, I have to now buy MOBILE ME! So really a 20$ product is going to cost me somewhere around 100$. Ouch.

Check http://www.icalx.com/ and sign up for a free account. They're usually for publishing iCal calendars online, but they use a WebDAV server, so there's no reason it wouldn't work with Omnifocus. If it works, please let me know! :)

Jeffrey903

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
Apple has not provided a way yet for developers to give discounts, coupons, or free licenses. They are still working out the payment systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.