Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
How come on both Android and IOS platforms there is not an app that can record a phone call to local storage? Is this something that is not allowed by both systems? Thanks

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
I believe this is due to varying wiretapping and phone recording laws between different regions. Even within different states/provinces and cities in in a single country, those laws can vary greatly.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
I believe this is due to varying wiretapping and phone recording laws between different regions.
This sounds like it could be some form of reason. However, it does not explain the plethora of apps that can record it and store it on a server. Thanks

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
I don't know of any applications, at least on the iOS App Store, that are able to even access the audio of a phone call.

From a quick search on the App Store, it seems the applications that do exist for iOS rely on workarounds where you either merge a call with their service or just dial out straight out using their application, neither of which would be working through the phone application itself. I would imagine it is a similar situation for most Android phones, as well.

I'm guessing these applications are allowed on the App Store since the liability would be on the side of the service provider, not with Apple.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.