Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I expected the power button to be on the back right, like it's been on all of my mac mini's since .. 2012? So I wasn't surprised that it wasn't on the front. But I was surprised and annoyed that it's on the back *left*, not on the back right where I keep looking for it.
I made a smart ass remark, and now I realize you guys might actually be right.

Reactions: Jrshelby

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Do you know whether there's a thread or discussion about this somewhere? The only time I've had to force power-off my machine is when running certain games which crash WindowServer, and I'm wondering whether it's the same issue with ESO.

I haven't seen much discussion other than a random reddit comment about an occasional launcher crash. Every so often the launcher will hang up before you get to the login point, essentially right after you press "Play". I can press the power/fingerprint button to get MacOS back to the login screen, but the launcher somehow still steals both keyboard/mouse input, so there's no way to do a proper restart or force quit the launcher. It doesn't happen often, and it never happens after the machine has been restarted. It very well can be related to the WindowServer.

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
what if a Studio is on 24/7 and not in sleep mode (display is off though) .....
My Studio is ON 24/7 since day one same as every Mac I have owned in the last 15 years. Before that I used to do the same with every Windows PC and NEVER had a single issue. In fact, none of my Mac nor my Windows computers go to sleep ever. Even if I go out of town or out of the country I leave them ON in case I need to access them remotely.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
My Studio is ON 24/7 since day one same as every Mac I have owned in the last 15 years. Before that I used to do the same with every Windows PC and NEVER had a single issue. In fact, none of my Mac nor my Windows computers go to sleep ever. Even if I go out of town or out of the country I leave them ON in case I need to access them remotely.
Same here.

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
Yes and it was concave so as to guide you now the Mac studio is contoured to the rounded corner and can no longer be distinguished from the body. And I’ll add I put my Mac studio under my desk and more then an arms reach away. With an iMac the button is always right within arms reach. And that’s besides the fact that if you touch the studio slightly it slides like it’s on ice.
put 4 of these on the bottom of your Studio .... it won't move unless you pick it up

Reactions: wdhpgx

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
dmr:
"It's been awhile since I've owned a desktop Mac, but does anyone fully power down their machines anymore?"

Yes.
I do.
Not only that, but...
... My Mini (and peripherals) are plugged into a surge suppressor.
At night, after I shut down the Mini, I also TURN OFF the power strip.

How's that hit ya?
(and before you go callin' me "a troglodyte", I choose the avatar very carefully...)

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
put 4 of these on the bottom of your Studio .... it won't move unless you pick it up

I have these and they work just fine and won’t slip.

Attachments

• 8FC3B4EF-0712-4B62-B810-0F721BABF390.jpeg
    8FC3B4EF-0712-4B62-B810-0F721BABF390.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: wdhpgx

HazardousT

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2022
I've had the occasional lockup requiring a shutdown via power button on the iMac. The location has always been a pain but it is what it is.

The only time I find it necessary is you need to turn it back on rather than shut it off for any reason.

Reactions: bobcomer

dork

macrumors regular
May 24, 2004
San Francisco
Wouldn't turning on/off the mac studio would be much easier to just press a button next to the front LED power indicator? instead of blindly reaching to the back and figuring out where the power button is among bunch of intertwined cables?

I get that design might inherited from Mac mini, but Mac mini was 1) small and can be easily flipped up to find the button; 2) Also with the small area on the back to be explored, one can easily find the power button blindly. Both of which are not the case on Mac Studio
There is a company that makes rack mount brackets for the MacStudio that include a mechanical button that allows you to shut down and restart from the front once the Studio is secured in the bracket.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 6.12.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 6.12.11 PM.png
    596.9 KB · Views: 67

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Remember the button on the back will shut the computer down but not truly turn it off, otherwise how would it know how to restart?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Well, yes, the computer is truly turned off.
But, the power supply will have voltage available whenever the power cord is plugged in to the mains.
Not accurate to say it is turned on, and there is (virtually) no power drain of any kind, until the power button is pressed.
Power on boot does not happen until that occurs.
Pressing the power button connects a circuit which will sense if there is power available to the power supply. If the response is "yes", then the boot sequence will begin - and only then is power truly on.
If you want "no power available", then you have to unplug the power cord, or turn off the mains power, usually at a surge protector of some kind.

Reactions: Adult80HD

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Your post made me curious about the power consumption of a Mac Studio while asleep, and a little searching came up with a data point of 1.5W. Not sure how accurate that is, but it's a pretty small number.

I have a sense energy monitor on my house and when my Mac Studio and Studio display are sleeping they use 3 watts. I use this Mac every single day for at least 10 hours most days and it has used 13.6 kWh for the entire month of March. It's a very efficient computer.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The mini and Studio power buttons are on the back. The iMac power buttons are on the back, at least for the old 27 inch models that I have. It's on the front of my PowerMac G5. I have to go behind my table if I want to use the power switch on my Studio, and, yes, it's a bit of a pain to do.

Reactions: bobcomer

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
I don’t like to leave my desktop on 24/7. We have brownouts around here
we installed a whole house genny for just that circumstance.
worked great when a light aircraft crashed into the power lines and power was bouncing up and down
for several hours during the rescue attempt

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Your post made me curious about the power consumption of a Mac Studio while asleep, and a little searching came up with a data point of 1.5W. Not sure how accurate that is, but it's a pretty small number.
Thing is, mine is plugged into a multi-way adapter along with two displays and a stack of other wall-warts (none of which have 'hard' power switches) that I'd rather unplug at the wall overnight or when I leave the house. I try to keep the things that need to stay on 24/7 (router, network etc.) on another adapter, and since the Mac boots from cold in a few seconds its not on the "needs to be running 24/7" list.

It's not a deal-breaker but the power switch is awkward and if it couldn't be on the front at least it could be more concave so it was easier to find by touch - having it flush on a curved surface is a definite form-over-function mistake. Still, at least we now have a power indicator light so I can check that it's really shut down before yanking the power (looking at you, iMac...)

Reactions: dmr727

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I don’t like to leave my desktop on 24/7. We have brownouts around here

I don't either and sort of wish the Studio could sleep like MacBook Pros as I don't care about instant on waking.

The power lines are underground in my area so a generator is overkill.

I have a few strategically placed UPS units (batteries typically last 3-4 years) to cover short term sags/surges.

Lightwater

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2024
Would it be that difficult to have some form of texture on the button. It's not as if it's on the front.

I have stuck something on it to avoid doing my back in any more reaching over to find it.

At least with my 2009 Mac Mini I can find the button, just, but aggravating my arthritis in the wrist.

My earlier 1990s Macs the button was where one could find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.