Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I think I now understand why. The reason is that those models that officially get Power Nap do not use solid-state storage.

Why does the storage type matter? Because solid-state drives need electricity to run, and other flash drives do not.

Edit: meme1255 posted a different answer, and I want to quote it here.
meme1255 said:
I believe that it has something to do with power modes supported by CPU - That's the reason why only newer Macs support it. And why not HDD? Because it makes noise and it consumes more power - And might be a bit of marketing too, because Apple could ask*additional $*for optional SSD which was required by Power Nap.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Looks like you added the word "other", but that does not make your conclusion any more correct.
All SSDs, (and any flash drives, too) need power to function.

Power Nap is not affected by the storage type in use (SSD, PCIe flash, spinning HD).
It's use is limited to specific Macs, and will have some differences when Mac is plugged into AC power, or just using battery.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
I believe that it has something to do with power modes supported by CPU - That's the reason why only newer Macs support it. And why not HDD? Because it makes noise and it consumes more power :) - And might be a bit of marketing too, because Apple could ask*additional $*for optional SSD which was required by Power Nap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.