Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I go Pro or save my money?

• Go Pro!

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • Save your dough!

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
My main computer uses are web browsing, Netflix, Spotify, DVD's, email, LibreOffice, GarageBand recording, and minimal photo editing. I prefer laptops because I like to be able to work in different places around the house, but I rarely need to travel with my computer, so I'm not concerned with size or weight. A bigger screen would be nice for watching movies, but I could also take the money I saved and buy an external display for that purpose.

I can afford to buy a Pro, but given my uses, wouldn't it be overkill? Is it worth the $500 or so (based on Refurb pricing) to go Pro? Would I ever notice the extra speed given what I'm using it for? Are there other considerations?

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I voted Go Pro and my main reason is the screen..

Look at this this way. Everything we see content wise is HD these days. You use your phone a lot and it's probably got an HD screen and you probably watch TV in HD.. Having everything you see in HD and then going to the low res screen on the Air would be painful, to me at least..

Reactions: Virgo and keviig

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Screen and to a lesser degree speakers. I was waiting for a MBA refresh for the screen. The ntb 13 is essentially the air now. That screen is worth it alone. Once you go retina you can't go back.

Reactions: ocgirl

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
The Air is Apple's "budget" computer that will likely get phased out entirely in the not too distant future. It's got some outdated specs that will likely never see an update. If price is not the driving factor, get the Pro. It's a far better matching that will have a longer supported lifespan.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
The screen itself would be the biggest reason but I would not get the 2016 model especially if price is an issue. Go for 2015 or refurb. Definitely worth it over the air.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
2015 MBP not really a MBA replacement. MBA buyers prioritize size and weight.

OP is not concerned with size or weight and rarely needs to travel, so for their case 2015 would be just fine and save them a good chunk of money.

I believe most people buy a MBA because of the cheaper price, not because of how slim it is. If they want a slim computer, the ideal one would be a 12 inch MacBook.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
But since I plan to use this machine at home 98% of the time, why not buy an Air and put the savings toward a display?
Oh, and I don't use the built in speakers either- I have a good stereo.

Any other reasons?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
But since I plan to use this machine at home 98% of the time, why not buy an Air and put the savings toward a display?

Any other reasons?
Do you tend to connect your computers to TVs or monitors regularly? I think you already have a plan

Last edited:

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013

Any other reasons?

Then get the MBA + 1080p display.

If I were you I'd just buy a refurb iMac 21.5" with 1080p screen. More power and the price includes a keyboard and a mouse. The graphics card 6200 blows the 6000 on the MBA away, that's if you plan to do gaming/video editing.

Can you compromise on the moving the laptop around the house part? I can't work unless I sit on my work desk, and if I need to watch a movie, browse the Internet or read an eBook on my sofa/bed I have an iPad Air 2.

Reactions: ag29

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014

Any other reasons?

Are you going to be using it through the external display more than 50% of the time?

I have a laptop that I also use a desktop and I use it about 40% of the time through an external display. As for the other 60% of the time it makes a pretty noticeable difference to have a gorgeous screen when it's not hooked up to a display.

The Pro is also more powerful in terms of specs.

Screen and power are going to be the main differences but you'll definitely save money sticking with a MacBook Air so it's a win win either way.

I agree with the above poster about just getting a desktop ^^^^, if you are going to be connected to an external display most of the time anyway.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
OP is not concerned with size or weight and rarely needs to travel, so for their case 2015 would be just fine and save them a good chunk of money.

I believe most people buy a MBA because of the cheaper price, not because of how slim it is. If they want a slim computer, the ideal one would be a 12 inch MacBook.

You are right. That's what OP said.

i'mnewhere

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012

Any other reasons?
so you said a bigger screen would be nice... that would mean getting a 15inch pro right? . Conversely you're thinking of getting a display to watch movies better... for that purpose why dont you just stream to a new TV. You could do this with an Air.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
My main computer uses are web browsing, Netflix, Spotify, DVD's, email, LibreOffice, GarageBand recording, and minimal photo editing. I prefer laptops because I like to be able to work in different places around the house, but I rarely need to travel with my computer, so I'm not concerned with size or weight. A bigger screen would be nice for watching movies, but I could also take the money I saved and buy an external display for that purpose.

I can afford to buy a Pro, but given my uses, wouldn't it be overkill? Is it worth the $500 or so (based on Refurb pricing) to go Pro? Would I ever notice the extra speed given what I'm using it for? Are there other considerations?

Pro, you never know what your future holds ;) better to have more than not enough!

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

Any other reasons?

It's the most dated machine on the market regardless of manufacturer. The screen is unusually low resolution harkening back to the iPhone 3GS-era. If you're never going to look at the display or use it as a notebook more than 2% of its total life, just get an iMac 4K 21.5 and call it a day.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012

the screen alone is what will convince you. I've had an Air and side-by-side with a retina screen, the Air was an embarrassment. Any Apple retina screen is light years ahead of the Air's sad 1440x900 TFT screen.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Who cares if those are your only needs? I hate the idea that we have to constantly justify ourselves when it comes to Apple products. Often, at the Apple store, or even on here, there is the vaguely confrontational, loaded question of "Well, what do you plan on using this for?" Sure, this can be an equally practical question but tone and intent are paramount.

My situation was very similar to yours, and, let's be honest, for our purposes, we could easily get by with a machine from 2010 but why? What's the point? My advice is to get the best experience you can afford. I went with the 2016 MBP and I'm very glad I did. Why continue to use a TN panel in 2016 when there are far better options available?

Last edited:

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Who cares if those are your only needs? I hate the idea that we have to constantly justify ourselves when it comes to Apple products. Often, at the Apple store, or even on here, there is the vaguely confrontational, loaded question of "Well, what do you plan on using this for?"

My situation was very similar to ours, and, let's be honest, for our purposes, we could easily get by with a machine from 2010 but why? What's the point? My advise is to get the best experience you can afford. I went with the 2016 MBP and I'm very glad I did. Why continue to use a TN panel in 2016 when there are far better experiences available?

I forgot that it was a TN panel, too. Just the low res alone is enough to make it terrible, but now I'm remembering the terrible color shift and limited viewing angles and am cringing. It's an entry level computer for businesses and the like to buy for the lowest possible cost.

Seriously, OP: if you're hellbent on saving that $500, get a used 13" MBP from somewhere other than Apple for $1000. I'd rather use a 2013 rMBP than a 2015 Air.

Great Late 2013-2014 models can be had all day for a grand:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...537473?hash=item3f70de0281:g:OGEAAOSwcLxYCsTk

Egally08

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
Queen City
I forgot that it was a TN panel, too. Just the low res alone is enough to make it terrible, but now I'm remembering the terrible color shift and limited viewing angles and am cringing. It's an entry level computer for businesses and the like to buy for the lowest possible cost.

Seriously, OP: if you're hellbent on saving that $500, get a used 13" MBP from somewhere other than Apple for $1000. I'd rather use a 2013 rMBP than a 2015 Air.

Great Late 2013-2014 models can be had all day for a grand:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...537473?hash=item3f70de0281:g:OGEAAOSwcLxYCsTk

Exactly. I have a late 2013 15" I bought from ebay in early 2015. I made sure the one I got had low battery cycles. It's been a great machine, great screen and still very fast. Running Premier, PS, and multiple remote desktops, I still get a solid 6hrs. I paid about $1900, but you can pick them up much cheaper now, especially base models.

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
Definitely go with the Pro, if for the screen alone. It's gorgeous, and is generally considered to be the best screen Apple has ever released.

Plus, my MBP absolutely flies. Much faster than my 2015 iMac with SSD.

With the Touch Bar or without, the screen quality and the speed are 2 no-brainer reasons to go MBP over Air. And I loved my Air.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Definitely go with the Pro, if for the screen alone. It's gorgeous, and is generally considered to be the best screen Apple has ever released.

Plus, my MBP absolutely flies. Much faster than my 2015 iMac with SSD.

With the Touch Bar or without, the screen quality and the speed are 2 no-brainer reasons to go MBP over Air. And I loved my Air.

Feel like I need to say I loved my Air too. In 2010. I went the 11-inch Air + Mac Pro route for awhile and it was awesome - but things have changed a lot since then.

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
My wife now has my 2013 13" MBAir. I loved that thing-considered it the best computer I had ever owned. Still do, in many ways.

But after getting my 2015 27" 5K iMac, and now my tbMBP, when I use her Air, all I see is pixels. It drives me nuts. I simply could not live that way any more. I'm not a savage.

Reactions: Dick Whitman

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I created a photo gallery in PowerPoint on my 2015 MacBook Pro. the slide deck, titling and of course the images were so sharp and crisp! I made and copy and put it on my 2011 HP EliteBook with Windows 10. It was depressing to look at in PPT 2016. If there is one reason alone to spend the money on a MacBook Pro, its the retina display. Its night and day. If you don't need all the ports, maybe the retina MacBook might an option to consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.