Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
When I purchased my iBook, I also purchased Keynote. I was excited to use as I use PowerPoint frequently. However, I find that it totaly, well to put it bluntly, sucks.

I thought at first it was because I was too used to PowerPoint, but I cannot get it to do what I can get PowerPoint to do. It just does not seem as professional as powerpoint, and I need my slides to look scientific professional.

The things I like about Keynote are the transitions and image shadowing. Yet, the transitions only show up on my projector if they are set at 800X600 resolution....and that does not let me use all of the space provided---chemical structures take up a lot of room and I need ALL my space.

Am I missing something? Everyone raves about Keynote, but I feel like I just am not getting that same feeling. I can see that if I knew nothing about PowerPoint, that my Keynote presentations would be scores better...but I do know PowerPoint fantastically, so either I am missing something or Keynote is just not up to par.

:)

Help! I really want to keep it as I love Apple software, but I cannot keep somethign I cannot use.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Hmmm, I've used Powerpoint in the past but I find Keynote miles and miles better. And yes I can get it to look very professional. have you tried the higher res mode? When you start a new presentation you can select what resolution to use, 800x600 or 1024x768.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well thats odd, i have never had anyone complain about keynote. what i usually do is make a excellent keynote presentation and then export it to powerpoint and then show it, thats enough to sell it to people. i would recommend swinging by your local barnes and noble if you have one and read some books on keynotes to see if your missing anything.

iJon

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
As a scientist who has used powerpoint extensively...

I prefer to use keynote. However, powerpoint is a much more mature application. Keynote is still in its infancy, and is missing a lot of important features (slide-sorter view, control of movie playback, pointer control, etc.).

Nonetheless, what keynote does, it does much better than powerpoint. Graphics and text are handled much better (transparency, anti-aliasing, etc.), layout is easier, and the eye-candy (transitions and themes) are way better.

I've given several scientific presentations (ranging from 1 hour seminars to 15 minute platform talks at symposia) using keynote, and have been approached by several people after my talks with questions along the lines of "how did you do that?!?" "That wasn't PowerPoint, was it? Can I get that software for my PC?"

I'm hoping a MWSF will launch Keynote 2.0, with many of the gaping holes in this otherwise excellent presentation software filled. I'm also hoping that those of us who've purchased Keynote, and suffered though it's growing pains, will enjoy a reasonable upgrade path.

Cheers

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I like Keynote a lot.

I think it conforms to Apple's simple philosophy quite well. I was able to start making presentations right off the bat whereas PowerPoint confuses me with so many options.

I can't wait to see what improvements Apple has in store for it.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Originally posted by 5300cs
I like Keynote a lot.

I think it conforms to Apple's simple philosophy quite well. I was able to start making presentations right off the bat whereas PowerPoint confuses me with so many options.

I can't wait to see what improvements Apple has in store for it.

I think Powerpoint is hard to use as well,it is to complicating I have to do PPT on a stupid Toshiba Laptop every week and would love to trade for a Powerbook running Kenote

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.