Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
I was just watching Monarch and I had to stop at 30 minutes. I just couldn’t stand the whole family drama. I got an overdose of it, every single shows on Apple TV+ put way too much emphasis on family drama or petty, pointless people issues while not focusing on the main story. Every show is filled with the father that lost his son or daughter or the opposite, the single mom who struggles, the addict to alcohol or drug who gives up, the racism that’s bad for the society or the necessity to show homosexuality or transsexuality but without advancing the plot but just to tick a case (tokenism). On that point, one show managed to really serve the cause: Billions with the character of Taylor Mason.

I’d like to understand how it resonates with the audience: is this really what users want to see? Like if I was a single mom, how would I react to see a single mom struggling? How to watch without feeling a bit voyeuristic?

If I want real and epic family drama, I’d watch Yellowstone with great story and well built characters.

On Apple TV+, it seems that we stay on the surface of these. It feels like character development = accident of life.

Anyone works in the fabric of these shows or has some articles that explain why this is nowadays how a show is made? Don’t they do screen testing or do they just sit on the data collected from all their users?

I’d like to see more representation of characters with disabilities and more Asians, too.

• Haha
Reactions: MacManiac76

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Apple TV+ is a disaster that is clearly failing across the board. Apple threw away tens of billions of dollars that could have been used for technological investments that drive change across the world. Instead, they bought mindless drivel that empty headed cretins stare at and do nothing.

Tim Cook wrecked Apple.

• Haha
Reactions: MacManiac76

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
I get the point, everyone is different or as we say in my country: tous les goûts sont dans la nature.

And correct, I always liked antiheroes, my personal favorite shows are Banshee & Breaking Bad.

I’m just very surprised we find the same plot elements in every Apple show about family. It’s like one philosopher said, once: “…because family”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.