Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Well I imagine it’s because it doesn’t fill up your internal drive for an optional extra. I have mine internal but on iMac so having permanently attached fast SSD for more storage isn’t a problem.

Reactions: maflynn

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Well I imagine it’s because it doesn’t fill up your internal drive for an optional extra. I have mine internal but on iMac so having permanently attached fast SSD for more storage isn’t a problem.

I don't know what happened between 2016 and now. Before that, I just installed Mac OS and Windows on the same internal drive. I don't remember exactly what happened but I seem to recall that some people installed Windows to an external drive since they had difficult installing Windows internally due to the T2 chip. This does not seem to make sense since Apple provides Bootcamp drivers.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
I don't know what happened between 2016 and now. Before that, I just installed Mac OS and Windows on the same internal drive. I don't remember exactly what happened but I seem to recall that some people installed Windows to an external drive since they had difficult installing Windows internally due to the T2 chip. This does not seem to make sense since Apple provides Bootcamp drivers.

I had the problem the other way round - there are workarounds to install on non-internal drive, Bootcamp installer natively tries to not let you do that. Internal repartition and install worked ok.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I just successfully installed Windows as a dual boot mbp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.