Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are device icons after installing apps stupid?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
That's something I'm curious about. When I install certain apps, there are "device" icons created on the desktop. I need to Eject them manually and they disappear. Why does that happen? Why would I need these "devices" for anything?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
That's something I'm curious about. When I install certain apps, there are "device" icons created on the desktop. I need to Eject them manually and they disappear. Why does that happen? Why would I need these "devices" for anything?

Where are you installing apps from? If it's stuff from the internet (as opposed to the Mac App Store), you are probably seeing the .DMG files, which are disk image containers. The .app file is stored inside the .dmg file, and then you have to eject the .dmg file after the .app file has been installed.

Reactions: MacDawg

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
It's not a .dmg file that I'm talking about. Some apps, perhaps utility apps mostly, create something else on the desktop. You download the .dmg file, install an app, and the "device" icon appears on the desktop. One of these apps is Vagrant.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The .dmg is, as @dwfaust indicates, a disk image. In order for the app to install from that disk image, the image must be mounted. When the image is mounted, it shows up on the desktop. I've had a couple actually ask me if I want it unmounted when the install is complete, but it doesn't actually work so I need to manually unmount it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.