Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Well, if my math is correct, here goes...

Right now, I'm going to make the specs of the 2.1ghz equal to that of the 2.4ghz:

2.1ghz ($1099)––––––––––2.4ghz ($1299)
13.3"------------------------13.3"
2.1ghz–––––––––––––––––2.4ghz
combo drive––––––––––––superdrive
2gb–––––––––––––––––––2gb
160gb HD–––––––––––––160gb hd

________________Total:

$1,249.00––––––––––––$1299.00

Notice the $50 difference, and for $50, you get a super drive, and .3ghz more of performance, and the heck of saying "I got the middle model":rolleyes:

And I certainly doubt that the $50 is for combo drive and .3ghz more performance

the 2.1ghz seriously needs to drop like $150, cuz now, its a rip off.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
That is, of course, assuming one needs 2 GB RAM and 160 GB storage space. If that is the case, then yes, it is wiser to chose the middle model; however, if the base model has everything you need, then you've saved $200.

the 2.1ghz seriously needs to drop like $150, cuz now, its a rip off.
Or raise the price of the 2.4 GHz model. ;)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I don't buy Apple RAM or hard drives. I don't see why anyone else should if they can use a screw driver and can post here on MacRumors.

fewture

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
yes i agree with you (the op).

I cant believe Apple still has the nerve to offer a combo drive on a laptop for that price.

But why in your sig does it say you are getting one?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Show me where I can get a middle model MB for $999, and I'll accept our argument. Until then, the el-cheeps model is amazing for college students like myself who just need a computer and don't have a lot of cash to spend.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Show me where I can get a middle model MB for $999, and I'll accept our argument. Until then, the el-cheeps model is amazing for college students like myself who just need a computer and don't have a lot of cash to spend.
The refurbished 2.2GHz 160GB Meron/SR blackbooks are going for $1049, some are even coming with 2GB RAM installed instead of the advertised 1GB. Same warranty, same Apple Care option, exactly like a new laptop except for the box.

Stokes

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Or E Gun
In late 2007, I bought the entry model Santa Rosa (at that time, it was a 2.0, 1gRAM, 80gHD, w/COMBO). I figured I'd upgrade the RAM immediately, and the HD as needed. I didn't need the Superdrive.

It made sense to me.

I guess I got lucky, as I had a couple of warrentee issues, so this last week they exchanged that machine for me for a brand new mid-model... a Penryn 2.4, 2gRAM, 160gHD, w/Superdrive. That was a lucky stroke for me, but I'd still have never used a burner before (in my Life!), so the extra for the Superdrive still wouldn't sway me.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
In late 2007, I bought the entry model Santa Rosa (at that time, it was a 2.0, 1gRAM, 80gHD, w/COMBO). I figured I'd upgrade the RAM immediately, and the HD as needed. I didn't need the Superdrive.

It made sense to me.

I guess I got lucky, as I had a couple of warrentee issues, so this last week they exchanged that machine for me for a brand new mid-model... a Penryn 2.4, 2gRAM, 160gHD, w/Superdrive. That was a lucky stroke for me, but I'd still have never used a burner before (in my Life!), so the extra for the Superdrive still wouldn't sway me.

yeah, but for $200, you get 2gb ram, 160gb HD, and $50 for more speed and a superdrive. doesn't make sense.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I've ordered a refurbished 2GHz MacBook Combo. For $906 with tax, it's pretty much a steal. Same with the refurbished 2.2GHz BlackBook with SuperDrive. Most people don't want or need a SuperDrive, and (like myself) have never burned a DVD in their life. Plus, you can upgrade memory from Crucial to 2GB for $50 and get a 250GB HD on NewEgg for $120. That's what i'm doing to mine eventually.

Refurbished, the way to go.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I got the entry level model for College. It's all I needed (don't need 2GB of ram, 1GB is good enough for me at the moment. Don't care about CPU speed, 2.1GHz is faster then my desktop at home. 120GB HDD is good enough for me, still have 57GB available). Costs $1049 in CDN with Educational Discount. I saved myself $200 that can go towards software I need, Apple Care or 2GB of ram if needed (which I can get for half the price that Apple charges when it's a BTO).

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
i see the middle model as the best value, but i hate white so got a blackbook :eek:

Stokes

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Or E Gun
yeah, but for $200, you get 2gb ram, 160gb HD, and $50 for more speed and a superdrive. doesn't make sense.

$200 is a lot of money what you get. It made sense to me to do it the way I did.

I was able to find a fellow that had just bought a MBP, and he harvested 2gRAM and the 160gHD out of his machine. I traded him for his stuff for a knife that I valued at $75 but had paid $40. It was suplus equipment to him, and a cheap upgrade to me. Given that I really have no use for the SuperDrive over the Combo drive, this was a no brainer. So, I wasn't willing to pay an extra 16% more money for just getting a 10% faster processor and a worthless to me Superdrive.

Back in the earlier days of PCs, I paid a $300 premium to move from a 233mhz machine to a 266mhz machine. That was wasted money! Finding real differences in processor speeds for me is near impossible. The most complicated thing I ever do is some minor photo editing... the rest is email and net surfing.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The refurbished 2.2GHz 160GB Meron/SR blackbooks are going for $1049, some are even coming with 2GB RAM installed instead of the advertised 1GB. Same warranty, same Apple Care option, exactly like a new laptop except for the box.

yup, that's what I did. :)

I can't believe nobody has said this yet, but of course the low end is a bad deal relative to the others. Have you ever heard of upselling? First they convince you to buy a macbook for the very reasonable sum of $1100. Then they show you how much more you can get by spending just a little more. And presto - you're suddenly getting the mid-range when you never planned to spend that much to begin with.

That, and, as people have said, some people are fine with the less amount of HD space and RAM, so it's nice to have that option.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
i see the middle model as the best value, but i hate white so got a blackbook :eek:

i agree with you there. i spent 2 hours in the apple store trying to determine which laptop was right for me and finally settled for the middle MB. i actually like the white because it looks cleaner. on the first day of ownership, i went out and bought 4gb of memory to install in my new MB heh

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
i agree with you there. i spent 2 hours in the apple store trying to determine which laptop was right for me and finally settled for the middle MB. i actually like the white because it looks cleaner. on the first day of ownership, i went out and bought 4gb of memory to install in my new MB heh

i was originally going to buy a base model then 4gb of ram and a 200gb 7200rpm seagate drive, but then i thought of how 'cream' the old keyboards go, so i went with a black one, and also cant be bothered messing around with the machine.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
What actually sucks is: if you want a MacBook with the super drive, you have to buy the middle model, and thereby also paying for more memory, larger hd, faster cpu.

jonswan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
Yup, the base model doesn't seem necessary at all when considering the benefits of the middle model. The fact that the base model still has only a combo drive is a bit insulting. However, I have never burnt a CD - but I reserve the right to sometime in future:D

priller

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Yup, the base model doesn't seem necessary at all when considering the benefits of the middle model.

Not everybody wants to spend £170 extra when the base model does everything they want.

The biggest rip off in the macbook line is the black one.

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
Not everybody wants to spend £170 extra when the base model does everything they want.

The biggest rip off in the macbook line is the black one.

YEP :D but atleast they dont turn cream... i looked at an ex-display white one. ugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.