Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
One of the bigger issues that come up is that a group of us, seems to be a number of reoccurring names, seem to have the biggest problem with iOS/iPadOS. This includes both Public and Betas. I am one of these. It has gotten to the point that I have moved my main device from iOS to Android. Call it a lack of consistency with iOS.

As you go through this and have comments and questions/suggestions, please post them.
I am looking to solve or identify some items that may be adding to this bug issue.

For a better understanding if you are not familiar, search for my name (dk001) in any thread that involves betas.

I have a 13 ProMax that has a fairly basic setup with a minimal number of apps added. I did a major overhaul and scratch reinstall during iOS 15 in an attempt to solve this.

First my basic setup:
iPhone 13 ProMax - 512GB - Space Grey
Have all default Apple apps installed.

Wifi 2.4/5/6/6e
Cell 5G Auto - roaming on with WiFi Calling
Private Relat and IP Address Tracking Off
Geekbench scores: 2427 Single / 6030 Multi
Backup to iCloud just basics (data)
Manual full backup to MBP weekly
VPN connected only when travelling
Location Service On
Tracking Off
Notifications for Critical Apps only - no sound
Use iCloud + - 50GB
Apple ID is a Dev ID
Widgets:
Weather
Stocks
Battery - Health 93% Low Power Mode is off. Percentage is on.
Lockscreen is Time with Weather/Date above the time
Apple Apps - Mail and Calendar are currently only linked to iCloud Mail.
Contacts are from iCloud account

Added Apps:
Adobe Acrobat
Aetna Health
Blink
Capital One
Chase
ChatGPT
Citi Mobile
Credit One
DClock
Developer
Discover
DoorDash
Fidelity
FireFox Focus
Freeform
Geekbench 6
Gmail
Google Home
Google Maps
Google Translate
Grubhub
Halide
HBO Max
Heckfire
Hiya
HP Smart
iRobot
Jersey Mike's
Jimmy John's
Keynote
Kindle
Lightroom
Mapaper
Mint Mobile
Mother of All Battles
MyQuest
Net Analyzer
Netflix
Nothing X
Numbers
Pages
Panda Express
Pap Johns
PayPal
Pdf Expert
Pizza Hut
Proton Mail
Proton VPN
Status
Telegram
Word
X
YouTube
YouTube Music

Last edited:

Arxr

macrumors member
May 8, 2023
What would be the two most prominent problems that you are experiencing?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
What would be the two most prominent problems that you are experiencing?
These are the current two biggest pitas.

All iMessages into my iPhone are forwarded to my iPad Pro 11 and MBP. All iMessages via my Apple ID show on all 3 devices. Contacts are via iCloud.
1. Reading or deleting an iMessage on one device has no effect on the status of the same message on any other device.
2. On the MBP and iPhone I see the name if in Contacts. On the iPad I see only the number.

A close runner up - After the latest update, all my deleted voicemails have the same deleted date. Even VMs that are old. At the same time I get a badge on my VM that has no number and no pending VMs. Carrier - Mint (TMobile Network).

These are just the latest in a long string.

Reactions: Arxr

Arxr

macrumors member
May 8, 2023
These are the current two biggest pitas.

All iMessages into my iPhone are forwarded to my iPad Pro 11 and MBP. All iMessages via my Apple ID show on all 3 devices. Contacts are via iCloud.
1. Reading or deleting an iMessage on one device has no effect on the status of the same message on any other device.
2. On the MBP and iPhone I see the name if in Contacts. On the iPad I see only the number.

A close runner up - After the latest update, all my deleted voicemails have the same deleted date. Even VMs that are old. At the same time I get a badge on my VM that has no number and no pending VMs. Carrier - Mint (TMobile Network).

These are just the latest in a long string.
I wonder if it would help to have all the devices do an iCloud backup at the same time.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I wonder if it would help to have all the devices do an iCloud backup at the same time.

I can definitely try that. 🤞

Update: I went ahead and backed up all three devices to the iCloud - triggered manually all within a minute.
Sadly there was no change even after doing a reboot of each.
Thanks for the idea! It was worth a shot. :)

Update 2: I removed all current backups in the iCloud and manually backed up all. No change :(.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Spent a bit more time this weekend on the iMessage / Contact issue and noticed one oddity.
Contacts that work correctly in Messages on both the iPhone and iPad have "Downtime Contact" showing when I open their file in Contacts.
I have neither Screentime or Downtime turned on on either device.

More digging ...

Arxr

macrumors member
May 8, 2023
Spent a bit more time this weekend on the iMessage / Contact issue and noticed one oddity.
Contacts that work correctly in Messages on both the iPhone and iPad have "Downtime Contact" showing when I open their file in Contacts.
I have neither Screentime or Downtime turned on on either device.

More digging ...
The contacts listed as "Downtime Contacts" - are they also listed as your emergency contacts?

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.