Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Convert from solid or liquid phase to vapor. Fog floats on air, water falls to the ground. You can add mass, more of the substance, but by altering that state lower the effective weight.
I was actually thinking of one of the simplest but still quite dramatic examples.

Inflating a balloon with helium.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
My wife doesn't enjoy eating paella with any kind of sea life, specially shrimp. She would also freak-out if I use rabbit. Even the times that I borough home moose during the Alaska moose season, she always told me that, "whatever you do make sure that I don't see eyes, head, nor anything that resembles a moose. If you can cut it and wrap it out there, that is even better" 😅 She's a sweetheart, so I try to please her (done this for over 40 years already).

During the summer I sometimes bring home several Copper River salmon. These are wild salmon, most coho and a king or two, and always remove the heads and tails before putting then in ice chests.

That's the reason why I sometimes prepare dishes that are similar to the Spanish paella, except for only having small squares of pork, or beef (usually some good steaks I find locally), or chicken. There are some very flavorful canned tomato juice that I sometimes add to the rice, plus a little of the somewhat expensive saffron.
If you look past the fluffy little bunny part it doesn't taste that different from chicken, a bit leaner but that's it. Especially compared with home chickens which also have a bit more taste and are a bit harder than the supermarket type.
One of my grandmothers used to have rabbits and remember watching the little things and sometimes would ask were one had gone? Ran away. Ah and on a totally unrelated matter, lunch will be chicken.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Surely neither scale is more accurate? That would only mean anything when using the values as, say, integer values only.

And the most precise and accurate measurements will most likely be within science and in Kelvin. (Yes, I know C is just a displaced zero from K.)

Each scientific measuring device has three properties -- Accuracy, Repeatability and Precision.
Accuracy is a property of the instrument you are using to measure with, how close it gets to the real value.
Repeatability is also a property of the instrument, does it give you the same measurement each time, or does it vary each time.
Precision is simply how close the markings on the scale are to each other. Fahrenheit markings are closer together on the same thermometer than Celsius. However, Celsius better relates to the physics of heat and temperature.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
As well it is absolutely useless in calculations involving heat, energy, pressure, etc.

As is Celcius in those calculations.

You can convert Farenheit temperatures to Rankine by adding 460(459.67) and you have a perfectly valid temperature scale to use for thermodyamic calculations. Rankine is an absolute temperature scale, just like Kelvin.

This is fundamentally no different from adding 273(or 273.15) to ºC to convert temperatures to Kelvin.

Any constant with a reference value that includes Kelvin has an equivalent value in Rankine. As an example, R, the gas constant, which is often given as .0812 atm-L/mol-K or 8.314 j/mol-K could just as easily be given as 10.73 ft^3-psi/ºR-mol or 1.986 BTU/mol-ºR.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Well until everyone knows about them! Until then there secret identities will remain just that.
View attachment 2347969
Some are a little less diligent about the secret identity part
IMG_6733.jpeg

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
If you look past the fluffy little bunny part it doesn't taste that different from chicken, a bit leaner but that's it. Especially compared with home chickens which also have a bit more taste and are a bit harder than the supermarket type.
One of my grandmothers used to have rabbits and remember watching the little things and sometimes would ask were one had gone? Ran away. Ah and on a totally unrelated matter, lunch will be chicken.
😅 That's true about most of us, but it won't pass unnoticed by my wife. But you are correct about home-grown chicken. The same can be said for non-farmed pigs, including ones the grow in the wild. Wild pig taste delicious compared to the supermarket's. It is the same for farmed salmon compared to the wild Copper River salmon that I "net" during the summer. The flesh of coho and king salmon is of a bright crimson (bright red) color and firm, while the flesh of farmed salmon is sort of a very light pink, almost pale, and somewhat soft.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
😅 That's true about most of us, but it won't pass unnoticed by my wife. But you are correct about home-grown chicken. The same can be said for non-farmed pigs, including ones the grow in the wild. Wild pig taste delicious compared to the supermarket's. It is the same for farmed salmon compared to the wild Copper River salmon that I "net" during the summer. The flesh of coho and king salmon is of a bright crimson (bright red) color and firm, while the flesh of farmed salmon is sort of a very light pink, almost pale, and somewhat soft.
Is this how to catch fresh salmon

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've been eating o-sushi and sashimi for a long time.

Back in the late 1980s when it started at Japanese restaurants in the U.S.A., I would go into the restaurant, make sure that they spoke Japanese, and talk to the "chef". If he was not licensed in Japan to know what bad stuff to remove, I would leave, as it wasn't safe.

Fast forward to 2014 and California. There is a flash freeze rule to save people from themselves.

All of the fish I've tried is mushy. It tastes okay, but isn't worth the price, to me. Having had fish before the flash freeze rule, there is such a total difference that I really don't want to waste my money.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Another thing I never forgot is the distinctive smell of burned pig skin just after it being slaughtered. Nowadays I think you can't do that (slaughter your own pigs) without having a veterinary and other regulations.
Although we have a lot of sea food it is almost all literally from the sea, salmon is usually imported from Norway of the farmed variety with its pink colour as you mention.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I've been eating o-sushi and sashimi for a long time.

Back in the late 1980s when it started at Japanese restaurants in the U.S.A., I would go into the restaurant, make sure that they spoke Japanese, and talk to the "chef". If he was not licensed in Japan to know what bad stuff to remove, I would leave, as it wasn't safe.

Fast forward to 2014 and California. There is a flash freeze rule to save people from themselves.

All of the fish I've tried is mushy. It tastes okay, but isn't worth the price, to me. Having had fish before the flash freeze rule, there is such a total difference that I really don't want to waste my money.
I feel the same way about salmon flash-freezing. The skin may be tough, but the flesh is quite delicate. Freezing like that turns the flesh mushy. Copper River salmon is extremely expensive, most so at the start of the fishing season. What I do with the salmon I catch, after cleaning, is to pack them with ice in large ice chests. But some other times my friends and I fillet and vacuum-pack them, then place them in the ice chests.

I don't know it this is allowed in CA anymore, but what sometimes I do with salmon fillets is to BBQ in a charcoal grill as follows: before lighting the charcoal, I soak a cedar board (sold at the supermarkets) in clean cold water for about an hour, then place the fillet skin down on the wet cedar board, and season the salmon with your favorite spices, including lemon pepper. I place the board and fillet on the grill, and BBQ until done. As it burns, the smoke from the cedar board gives the salmon a very nice flavor. The board will prevent the salmon from burning, but you may have to prevent the edges of board from catching afire.

Another thing I never forgot is the distinctive smell of burned pig skin just after it being slaughtered. Nowadays I think you can't do that (slaughter your own pigs) without having a veterinary and other regulations.
Although we have a lot of sea food it is almost all literally from the sea, salmon is usually important for Norway of the farmed variety with its pink colour as you mention.
The most delicious pig skin/meat is the one from wild or free-ranging pigs. I have read about pig farms in Italy and Spain where the pigs aren't penned, but roaming in large parcels of land. Chicharrón is one of those Spanish foods that are made of pig skin a portion of meat, and sometimes rib, attached to it. In the the Caribbean islands, Argentina, and so on it is common for people to roast an entire pig that has been seasoned with spices. The pigs are roasted for over 10-14 hours in large ovens that are made of fire-bricks and covered with a lager of clay. Charcoal is used for roasting.

Last edited:

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Don't know about Italy but we share the same breeds with Spain, particularly the Ibérico pig or as it's commonly called here, black pig.
They roam the southern countryside and feed themselves mostly on acorns.
The meat is considerably better than regular pigs, even those raised freely.
When raw the meat has a distinctive look somewhat similar to Kobe beef marbling.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Don't know about Italy but we share the same breeds with Spain, particularly the Ibérico pig or as it's commonly called here, black pig.
When raw the meat has a distinctive look somewhat similar to Kobe beef marbling.

There is a farm in Tennessee I think that raises free-range hogs and they feed almost exclusively on acorns.

Their bacon is sold all over the country to high end restaurants who have to have the best bacon available.

Something about acorns and pigs.....

But not a fan of Kobe or Waygu beef. It is too marbled and is almost like getting a pre-chewed steak. I'll stick to a regular filet thank you.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
There is least one farmer in Sicily that grows "free-range" black pigs. I guess that the farming laws are very strict in the EU, so i have no idea how the average small farm can survive.
There is a farm in Tennessee I think that raises free-range hogs and they feed almost exclusively on acorns.

Their bacon is sold all over the country to high end restaurants who have to have the best bacon available.

Something about acorns and pigs.....

But not a fan of Kobe or Waygu beef. It is too marbled and is almost like getting a pre-chewed steak. I'll stick to a regular filet thank you.
These farms are becoming a lot more popular in recent years, specially the ones producing organic foods of various kinds. I too don't like much marbling in steaks. In fact, I even trim most of the outer layer of fat, too :) I season the steaks and grill them in an electric grill to an internal temperature of perhaps 142 degrees, and let them sit covered for about 8-10 minutes before serving.

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Kobe Beef is not just the cow's meat. They would give the cow beer and massage them to make the best beef in the world.

In 1985, my friend's father in Kobe rented his friend's French restaurant for eight of us. When they got to the meat course, they brought a huge steak, slightly cooked for each of us.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Kobe Beef is not just the cow's meat. They would give the cow beer and massage them to make the best beef in the world.

In 1985, my friend's father in Kobe rented his friend's French restaurant for eight of us. When they got to the meat course, they brought a huge steak, slightly cooked for each of us.
I order a steak filet while in Katmandu, Nepal (in the 1980’s) what I received was the largest steak filet I’ve ever seen. It was the size of a large porterhouse steak but it was just the filet. It filled an entire large dinner plate. It was as tender & flavorful as any filet minion I’ve ever had. Later I found out that it was a water buffalo steak not a beef steak.

Katmandu also had the best chocolate cream pie I ever had too (not at the same meal though)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I order a steak filet while in Katmandu, Nepal (in the 1980’s) what I received was the largest steak filet I’ve ever seen. It was the size of a large porterhouse steak but it was just the filet. It filled an entire large dinner plate. It was as tender & flavorful as any filet minion I’ve ever had. Later I found out that it was a water buffalo steak not a beef steak.

Katmandu also had the best chocolate cream pie I ever had too (not at the same meal though)
There isn't a thing wrong with water buffalo, unless you're trying to plow a field and it's in the kitchen being cooked.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon

I was just saying as a reference that visually the marbling looks similar.

Here it's even not that expensive. It's around 20 euro/kg depending on the cut. Or according to Google 9.71 USD per pound.
There is least one farmer in Sicily that grows "free-range" black pigs. I guess that the farming laws are very strict in the EU, so i have no idea how the average small farm can survive.

These farms are becoming a lot more popular in recent years, specially the ones producing organic foods of various kinds. I too don't like much marbling in steaks. In fact, I even trim most of the outer layer of fat, too :) I season the steaks and grill them in an electric grill to an internal temperature of perhaps 142 degrees, and let them sit covered for about 8-10 minutes before serving.
Regular pork is a lot cheaper. A quarter more or less again depending on the cut.

But it is also incomparable.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Neither do we. In fact we generally buy Choice over Prime cuts for this reason.
The local Costco store has some excellent steaks. I just choose a pack of steaks that don't have lots of fat other than the edges. Otherwise I but a large piece of ribeye roast and cut it into steaks. It doesn't matter if it is expensive or not, since I don't eat beef every week, so I take my time and choose beef that isn't too fat toward the middle.
I was just saying as a reference that visually the marbling looks similar.

Here it's even not that expensive. It's around 20 euro/kg depending on the cut. Or according to Google 9.71 USD per pound.

Regular pork is a lot cheaper. A quarter more or less again depending on the cut.

But it is also incomparable.
$9.71 USD is not bad at all. Sometimes I buy steaks that cost around $20.00 USD. For is cheap in the US, probably because of the big farms (?), but some local farmers sell both beef and pork that are grown with organic feed, and costs more. But again, there is not comparison between free-range pork like the Ibérico or wild pigs.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
ece4732c3d6418fea7f02b1c9e0a1949.jpg

I’m a member of a Facebook group where this was posted - just yesterday February 22, 2024, it’s related to an area of southeast Michigan.
I graduated high school 1980, in the mid-1970s I saw this exact chart when they were trying to re-educate us going from the traditional system to the metric system.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
That's a cool pocket calculator but it does make the metric system seem something alien that nobody would use.

It translates single digit practical to use and remember numbers into weird decimal scale odd numbers.

It would be like we buying a sugar packet (which is usually sold in 1 Kg packets) and having it translated to 2.205 pounds. Everybody would just scratch their heads.

I would guess that in the USA you have stuff sold on two pound bags. That makes sense.

Reactions: polyphenol

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
That's a cool pocket calculator but it does make the metric system seem something alien that nobody would use.

It translates single digit practical to use and remember numbers into weird decimal scale odd numbers.

It would be like we buying a sugar packet (which is usually sold in 1 Kg packets) and having it translated to 2.205 pounds. Everybody would just scratch their heads.

I would guess that in the USA you have stuff sold on two pound bags. That makes sense.
Surely, if you are using US Customary, you'd actually convert into 3 lb 3 ounces 3 drams? (Or thereabouts.) Rather than decimals.

When we changed from 2 lbs to 1 kg for sugar, few of us really noticed. Doesn't feel much different in the hand, nor look much more. If pouring into a sugar bowl, or weighing out a few ounces or grams for a recipe, who cares? The only real issue for most of us was whether price went up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.