Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
UK
I have no idea why people are so hostile to multitasking.

It's not like the device isn't capable of it, and users heads won't explode when they try to do more than one thing at once.

It's not like people want to do 30 things, i guarantee most of the people whining about multitasking want to do 3 things.

Chat, Browse, Youtube. And I for one would like to be able to flick between them, i don't want my chat session wiped out because i happen to want to check out a website, or watch a video thats linked to me.

These are not "power user" purposes, they are not GEEKLOL purposes, they are reasons practically everyone should identify with.

...What the heck, you know, i want one of these because i know the jailbroken results will be spectacular, and with jailbreaking apple might realise what users really want.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I have no idea why people are so hostile to multitasking.

It's not like the device isn't capable of it, and users heads won't explode when they try to do more than one thing at once.

It's not like people want to do 30 things, i guarantee most of the people whining about multitasking want to do 3 things.

Chat, Browse, Youtube. And I for one would like to be able to flick between them, i don't want my chat session wiped out because i happen to want to check out a website, or watch a video thats linked to me.

These are not "power user" purposes, they are not GEEKLOL purposes, they are reasons practically everyone should identify with.

...What the heck, you know, i want one of these because i know the jailbroken results will be spectacular, and with jailbreaking apple might realise what users really want.

I've gone back and forth between surfing the web and texting friends without either application getting "wiped out." I've even copied and pasted URL's in text messages.

I'm not familiar with the YouTube app, but I know I can listen to my iTunes while I do a number of other things such as surfing, texting, and e-mails.

It would be nice to "dock" a couple apps and quickly go to them with a single touch of the finger. Maybe this will be available in an upcoming OS update, matbe not. It is by far not the the end of the world and surely not the death of this product. I think for most users if they can copy and paste something from one app to another app, then they have successfully multi-tasked, at least in their mins because they crossover to another program.

marcopolo007uk

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
Push makes the lack of Multitasking slightly easier on the iPhone.... but it's going to be missing on the iPad. (Can't see a WiFi connection being up all the time)

Multitasking will be missed on the iPad for many users.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've not noticed any hostility towards the multi-tasking question.

I think the consensus here is that its a mistake by apple, like its a mistake by apple not having flash. Yeah they have their reasons why and in some twisted way they have a point, but that doesn't we agree with them.

I don't get recent apple decision on stuff like this, you have a great device with awesome potential and then you hamstring it by artificially limiting its ability (both flash and multi-tasking)

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
heres my gist:
you want to use youtube and safari. Fine. Congrats. You don't need multitasking to achieve this. Just open youtube boom boom pow, if you want safari, go to safari. The ipad will be so quick you would lose 1 second maybe..maybe. You dont lose anything just doing one app at a time.

i get it if you want to listen to pandora in the background and surf the web, but the trade off between the risk of something going wrong and removing multitasking is apparently leaned towards more stability but going with no multitasking.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
UK
It would be nice to "dock" a couple apps and quickly go to them with a single touch of the finger. Maybe this will be available in an upcoming OS update, matbe not. It is by far not the the end of the world and surely not the death of this product. I think for most users if they can copy and paste something from one app to another app, then they have successfully multi-tasked, at least in their mins because they crossover to another program.

What would be really great is if a chat app could dynamically link to the youtube application, since linking to youtube itself would be fairly pointless.

It could be implemented through the home button really, Tap for some variation of expose, or alt-tab. Hold to go to home?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.