Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneMoreFling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2024
I’m not really getting the iPad with a (Magic) keyboard trend. The iPad has a touchscreen and the pencils and smart folio covers make so much sense. Using that small trackpad when you have the touchscreen?? The keyboard might actually make you forget to use the touchscreen.

Would 98.4% of people not be better off buying a MacBook and maybe an entry level iPad? Or even just the MacBook?

Every device has its purpose, but many want to have everything in one device leading to many compromises (MacOS anyone?)

Reactions: Mrs. Jobs

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I didn't follow this hype trend. I have love and hate relationship with MK couple years before, lol. Now, I use MK more than other cases, due to (other than the keyboard functionality):
  • It protects the ipad from bending (with its solid and thick metal)
  • Compared to other keyboard case (like logitech), its less bulky and less weight
  • It keeps the screen clean - without footprint of keys or case
  • It can be detached and use the ipad as tablet reader in its lightest form
  • It can be use also as iPad holder with flexible view points - very useful for group photo or just watch the movie on car dashboard during vacation
  • For light task, iPad can replace macbook. Even for particular applications, the iPad version is better than its Mac counterpart and for some even the Mac version are not exist at all.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I didn't follow this hype trend. I have love and hate relationship with MK couple years before, lol. Now, I use MK more than other cases, due to (other than the keyboard functionality):
  • It protects the ipad from bending (with its solid and thick metal)
  • Compared to other keyboard case (like logitech), its less bulky and less weight
  • It keeps the screen clean - without footprint of keys or case
  • It can be detached and use the ipad as tablet reader in its lightest form
  • It can be use also as iPad holder with flexible view points - very useful for group photo or just watch the movie on car dashboard during vacation
  • For light task, iPad can replace macbook. Even for particular applications, the iPad version is better than its Mac counterpart and for some even the Mac version are not exist at all.
I agree! I just got mine today, but after spending a little time with it I’m finding it hard to open. I usually open from the top of the encased iPad Pro M4’s Magic Keyboard case. But I’m afraid I’m going crush/damage the top of the case with my finger nails.

Any recommendations? I don’t remember my M1 iPad Pro’s Magic Keyboard case was this hard to open.

Reactions: carbphrek

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I agree! I just got mine today, but after spending a little time with it I’m finding it hard to open. I usually open from the top of the encased iPad Pro M4’s Magic Keyboard case. But I’m afraid I’m going crush/damage the top of the case with my finger nails.

Any recommendations? I don’t remember my M1 iPad Pro’s Magic Keyboard case was this hard to open.
Have you tried:
1. Position the iPad (with MK) vertical such that the hinge is on the bottom (and the other edge/lip to open is on the top)
2. Open the keyboard while in that position (open the edge which was on the top)

The above is always work for old MK. Hopefully it worked for the new version too.

Sorry for my bad English.

Reactions: jazz1

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
I didn't get the Magic Keyboard, but instead I picked up the Logitech Combo Touch. I agree with most of your points - but I do have times when I want to get something typed out quickly, etc.

I went with the Combo Touch over the Magic Keyboard because it weighs less, costs less, and I can completely snap off the keyboard and still have a protected iPad with a great kickstand. Currently I have my iPad next to my MacBook as a second monitor while working. It makes my "on-the-go" productivity shoot up since I can use the MBP keyboard and trackpad to control the iPad too. The Combo Touch's keyboard is currently disconnected and sitting on a nearby table.

I'm honestly thinking about returning the Combo Touch and getting something like the Smart Folio, but I can still think of a few times I might be away from my Mac, but still want to send a lengthy email, etc. Other than that though, I want to use my iPad as a touch first device too.

I agreed with all of your points besides the bulky and less weight part. The new Combo Touch keyboards weight almost 100g less than the Magic Keyboard at the same size.

Reactions: Isamilis

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I’m not really getting the iPad with a (Magic) keyboard trend. The iPad has a touchscreen and the pencils and smart folio covers make so much sense. Using that small trackpad when you have the touchscreen?? The keyboard might actually make you forget to use the touchscreen.

Would 98.4% of people not be better off buying a MacBook and maybe an entry level iPad? Or even just the MacBook?

Every device has its purpose, but many want to have everything in one device leading to many compromises (MacOS anyone?)

Have you used the new MKB? It's fantastic.

In general, these accessories help make the most of built-in multitasking features. Plus they're nicer for longer sessions in writing apps, not to mention being a more flexible stand for watching videos.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

I like having an iPad - no desire for a laptop. I have an iMac when I want a computer.

Using the keyboard makes it much easier when I want to type, as in the forums here, and also folds up nicely for travel. I do not have an issue forgetting to use my touch screen. In fact, I tend to try and touch the screen on my iMac sometimes because I’m so used to touch screens.

When I want to use it without the keyboard, it’s easy to pop off and hold in my lap to use my pencil.

Reactions: doolar

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
ive been a Logitech combo keyboard user since the M1 Pro. This time with the 13 M4 Pro I did buy the Magic Keyboard along with the Smart Folio case.
What are your impressions so far? I had both the Combo and the Magic Keyboard for my M1. As I’ve reported several times the rubber like frame near the iPad’s glass would stretch and thin out. I didn’t take it in and out of the Combo that much. Some say the newest version addresses that issue.

Also the Combo isn’t really rest well on the lap due to the flap. Of course the Magic Keyboard had lap balance issues.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The MK is both the best and the worst iPad accessory IMO. It is the best, as it enables the iPad to become a laptop. But that is also the reason that it is the worst - because it makes the iPad become primarily a laptop.

I've stopped using the MK on my M2 iPad Pro because it made me basically never pick up my iPad. In every case my macbook air is the better choice for getting a job done. And because of the additional weight and extra step of "opening" the keyboard to extract the iPad - I never used the iPad for iPad things. I'd just grab my phone out of my pocket. I went back to the old Smart Keyboard and now I am using my iPad again, as an iPad, because using it is one smooth action - you fold back the case. Also you can open the iPad one handed if need be, which is quite a feat for the MK.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed that Apple didn't take the design further to add easier opening or a "non-keyboard" mode where you can fold the iPad on top of the keyboard.

Reactions: OneMoreFling
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.