Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberbiker6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
• Why is there is a location setting associated with the iOS Voice Memos app?

• Where does one find the location from which a Voice memo was recorded, if the location setting is on for the Voice Memos app?

• Does the location setting for the Voice Memos app also apply to the voice recordings made within iMessage?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Locations for memos is used to name the memo. So if at a business that Apple knows about, memo will be named after the business. Worst case, named for general area or city name.

Believe no way to show in a map. And no Shortcut method that I know of to extract the information.

I rarely use voice memos, so, have not seen all the permutations that a memo name will take with locations on.

In anticipation of next question of "why", probably, for example, for say a salesperson visiting clients. Get in the car, record memo, saved with name of business just left. Rinse repeat for remainder of businesses visited that day.

Reactions: cyberbiker6

cyberbiker6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
...Believe no way to show in a map. And no Shortcut method that I know of to extract the information.
Thanks. I could find no explanation for collecting location metadata in the iOS user manual or Apple support site.

cyberbiker6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
I have been searching for a good location tracker app. Which location tracker app do you use guys?
I use Google Maps when I’ll be navigating in an area or route with good cell data reception. That is often not the case in the SW US.

When in Northern Canada, Mexico and the rural West I use Navmii World. It downloads complete maps of a state or country so you can leave cell data off, but Locations On. That way you can follow a route or just see your location on the map. Navmii is a real money saver when not in the US where you are using a local SIM card with limited data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.