Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado

Alright. It did end up coming at WWDC. I was wrong :(

I have been trying to avoid leaks and rumors a lot, but I keep accidentally seeing more than ever
M2 MacBook Air at WWDC!!!

Reason 1: Not out of stock​

Now one of the first reasons people said were, the M1 MacBook Air is out of stock.
I quickly went to Apple, and:
1654291258138.png

1654291538513.png

All the Apple Stores in Colorado has the base model.

Now what about the one with 8 core GPU? Could that be out of stock?
1654291314840.png

1654291564531.png

Only 1 Apple Store in Colorado (The 2nd farthest one from me) in Colorado had it.

So that means nothing.

What about delivery dates?
1654291401793.png

Better than what we had...

And if I were to make the higher model go higher:
1654291471849.png

It remains the same.

In conclusion, I guess the leakers dont have it in stock in their area, and I expect them to all be in stock again June 28.

Reason 2: Colors mean nothing.​

One of the marketing for WWDC looked like this:
1654291944339.png

After people saw this for the first time, they immediately said "M2 MacBook Air", since it is rumored to receive a redesign and get some new colors.

I thought the March 8th event would have a colorful M2 MacBook Air, because of (You guessed it), colors!
Here is what the March 8th marketing was:
1654292042655.png

I doubt the colors mean anything, and it is just Apple trying to be fun with their logo. It could be the same this year with Apple trying to be fun with their Memojis.

Reason 3: People would forget it was revealed before getting it​

I know a few people who like to watch Apple Events to know what products Apple will start selling.

Most of the time, they forget all about the Macs, as they only use iPhone and with the occasional Apple Watch.

Seeing that the trash can Mac Pro, the cheese grater Mac Pro, AND the iMac Pro was released all in December, I wouldn't see Apple leak a consumer product 6 months after they release it.

Yes, we had the Developer Transition Kit at WWDC2020, but is that even a product? People had to return it once Apple said it was time to return it.

Reason 4: There has never been a MacBook Air released at WWDC​

There has never been a MacBook Air revealed at WWDC. The reason is that it is a consumer product.

Reason 5: The transition is not complete​

We still have one more product that needs to be transitioned to M1. That is the Mac Pro. I can see Apple using UltraFusion technology with 2 or 4, or even 8 or 16 M1 Ultras (Wow, that would be expensive)... To get the 1.5 TB of Ram that no one needs. Or, Apple could add regular Ram, and the M1 Ultra chip, as well as the RTX 3090 (and 4090) GPU's in it, to keep it upgradable. I also expect Apple to somehow allow you to upgrade storage and Ram, but not so much the GPU.

And that is why Apple will not be releasing the M2 MacBook Air at WWDC. I could be completely wrong, but in the past, I have predicted the following things perfectly:

- M1 in the iPad Pro
- WWDC21 not having a Mac
- Very fast MacBook Pros at October 2021
- No MacBook Pro M2 at March 8
- iPhone SE 3 having A15 rather than the rumored A14

(You may notice these are all from 2021-2022, that is when I started to care about Apple Events.)

If you don't agree with me, feel free to reply down below.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think anyone objectively thinking about it would have realized a while ago there won't be a MacBook Air at WWDC.

The stock is a very reliable indicator. I previously predicted changes to the iMac 27-inch and MBP 16-inch just by looking at the shipping lead times. In all cases, I've been 100% accurate.

The launch of MBA would create a lot of noise - leaks from certification agencies like UL Demko and CCC regarding battery, EEC filings, 13.6-inch display resolution info in macOS, etc. None of this is happening.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I get what you are saying, but, COVID and supply chain chaos that still continues means the normal plans/cycles are all out of kilter. Apple had a lot of plans for the ARM transition which are not going that well vs what they originally intended. It is possible that they will use WWDC as an opportunity to announce/launch hardware this year. It would be very unusual given past WWDC events but we are still in unusual times.

We will find out soon enough. Maybe it will be more about what you can buy, but in the coming months rather than what will be available to buy from Monday.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I get what you are saying, but, COVID and supply chain chaos that still continues means the normal plans/cycles are all out of kilter. Apple had a lot of plans for the ARM transition which are not going that well vs what they originally intended. It is possible that they will use WWDC as an opportunity to announce/launch hardware this year. It would be very unusual given past WWDC events but we are still in unusual times.

We will find out soon enough. Maybe it will be more about what you can buy, but in the coming months rather than what will be available to buy from Monday.

The stock level really doesn't let Apple hide much. If there was a new machine coming, assembly would focus on producing those models, which means less capacity building old models, and we would see higher levels of stock-out. It doesn't make sense for Apple to paper launch an MBA three months out as it forces a price cut on existing M1. It would be like paper launching iPhone 14 today. Well, iPhone 13 would be forced to get a $100 haircut three months early.

Reactions: iAppleOrchard

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Reason 2: WWDC has never had a MacBook or consumer level product​

WWDC is mainly known as a software event, and there is a rare occasion that there's hardware. Like in 2013 with the reveal of the trash can Mac Pro, 2017 with the revealed of the iMac Pro, and 2019 with the revealed of the cheese grater Mac Pro. Now look at the name of all of the Macs that were revealed at WWDC. They all have the word Pro in their names. Apple has never released a customer product at WWDC, and I expect it to remain this way.

WWDC 2008: iPhone 3G was introduced.
WWDC 2009: iPhone 3GS was introduced.
WWDC 2010: iPhone 4 was introduced.
WWDC 2012: MBA and MBP introduced.
WWDC 2017: iMac, MacBook and MBP Introduced, along with iMac Pro and 10.5" iPad Pro.

Point being, WWDC has been home to both consumer level products and professional products. This entire headline is incorrect.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
WWDC 2017: iMac, MacBook and MBP Introduced, along with iMac Pro and 10.5" iPad Pro.

Point being, WWDC has been home to both consumer level products and professional products. This entire headline is incorrect.
I have updated my original post. I have not watched those WWDC's. I just heard that they never had a consumer product.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma

A minor spec bump for the MacBook Air was also released alongside the WWDC 2017 Mac updates.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
MacBook Air got a big update at WWDC in 2013 when it got an enormous improvement in battery life with a new generation of Intel chips.

Ah yes, forgot about that! Everything else announced there was completely overshadowed by iOS 7 in my mind, haha

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Apple had a lot of plans for the ARM transition which are not going that well vs what they originally intended.
In what way? I know of the Ultra chip issue, bluetooth issue on M1 and of some programs/apps that remain unoptimised or even problematic. Is there something with the bigger picture? (I'm asking out of genuine curiosity)

Reactions: AlexMac89

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I have updated my original post. I have not watched those WWDC's. I just heard that they never had a consumer product.
Never said never when you didnt watched all WWDC then
your facts means nothing, only Apple knows better, stop trying to be an "analyst" or a "leaker" . If Apple consider that an new MBA should be announced at WWDC they will. Developers can code on an MBA also since the M series become so powerful for its price
Also there were devices announced while still on stock several days earlier

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.