Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hamster747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Co. Meath, Ireland.
Hi guys,
Just wondering why you bought the MBA and what attracted you to it? The looks? The attention? Do you use it for it for work, School/College or Personal use? Do you regret buying it?

bainesajay

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
Canada
The weight

The weight and thinnest was a huge feature for my wife. She is not that much into computers and was starting nursing school which would involve lots of note taking and presentations.

Unlike many computer geerks i define value as the amount you actually use something divided by how much you paid for it. So there has to be a balance. If you bought a mac book or a cheaper pc laptop that is big and clunky and do not use it as often, then you did not good value? however if that has no use for you then you probably should not get a MBA.

So to summarize, she loves her MBA because the size makes it easy for her to take it school, on the bus, and bring it out in a cramped lecture hall. She never hauls the charger as it lasts about six hours in classes with wifi and brightness. The $300-400 CDN premium was worth it to her for this value. As for the missing connectivity stuff, it has never been a problem since the campus is all wifi and no ethernet. We installed snow leopard easily with remote disc. I heard USB flash drive works well too.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The weight. The flash drive. The quietness of operation (since I rarely stress the graphics processor, I hardly ever hear fan noise). The backlit keyboard. The quickness to read data. Aside from surfing for news and email, I use mine mostly to read data files (and movies) that I load on there or partly refresh once a week or so and I create only small files on it during daily operations. Mostly it's about the light weight, since I carry it up and downstairs dozens of times a day.

I have used the USB ethernet adapter, the external CD/DVD drive and the USB modem made for the MacBook Air, and they all work great. I have actually not had any issues with the machine at all, except that the battery seemed to take forever to charge up the first five or six cycles. I have the Rev. A machine. I remember talking with a tech about it and once resetting the PMU, I think, but anyway now it seems to take less time. It's hard to say because I don't actually run it down very far most days. When I watch a movie on it in the evening sometimes, I usually plug it in anyway. It's been a joy to use.

machacker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I love my air because I take it to work and to School. I am a Junior in College, so at this point I have a more powerful desktop back at my apartment, and I have the air with me at all times. The fact that it is so thin and light that I don't even notice it in my backpack makes it the best machine for me. The speed of the SSD also makes it amazing for schoolwork. I can create documents and save them incredibly fast and on the go.

I love my MBA. It fits my needs perfectly and the price was well spent.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Most definitely the weight and size. I had been lugging around either a 15" PowerBook G4 or MacBook Pro for the better part of the last 3 and half years, and it was getting old. The MacBook Air just disappears into my back pack as it is much smaller, thinner and lighter. Plus, the thing is really a nice platform and is well suited to my usage patterns.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Let's go back to Microeconomics... MARGINAL UTILITY
I get this much ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) from my MBA.
I got this much ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) from my MBP.
I got this much ;) from my PC.

The MBA makes me the happiest. It's light and fun. It does everything a full size Mac notebook can do!

bainesajay

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
Canada
Re:

I agree with the above. Its so much fun for my wife. She loves using her computer now and it just goes every where. Its like a netbook with a big screen and it has more than enough power to do tons. Absolute perfect balance of features vs size.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I got mine because I am a gadget freak. When the Air first came out last year, I knew that one day we would meet. That day came about 2 weeks ago. I have never used a Mac, but planned on getting an MBA and putting windows 7 on it. I figured that would be the best of both worlds. I tend to be a bit thrifty as well, but usually don't hold back much when it comes to gadgets (of the electronic kind). I have used a Dell XT (convertible tablet) for quite some time as my thin and light main PC. I have had about 4-5 netbooks over the last year in an attempt to have a super small light unit for travel and basically internet anywhere (I have software on my cell phone that allows it to become a wifi router). But the MBA has always been in the back of my mind. About a month ago, I found out the MBA can run windows, so I started scanning ebay for a good deal. 2 weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger on a used (in very good shape) rev A that I thought was a great deal. When I got it, I was thrilled! I loved it, caressed the aluminum body (I know that sounds wrong, but I KNOW you all did, and probably still do, don't deny it!). During the 3 days I had it, I became thrilled with the OS as well. Fast, looks good and very functional. Now I say "during the 3 days I had it" because I quickly realized the rev B had better graphics, bus speed, no hinge issue, and larger HD. Once I found out the rev B was as cheap as a used rev A at Best Buy on clearance, I went and got one. So since then, I have purchased the following accessories (I already had a Pioneer USB DVD burner):

1. Time Capsule (coming next week and I can't wait!).
2. Extra magsafe charger for work.
3. UPB70 external battery (thin and light) with Magsafe connector for 2-3 times the battery life when traveling.
4. Saitek round dome mini travel USB hub.
5. Leather lawyer's portfolio that will hold the MBA and UPB70 battery when needed.
6. Leather portfolio with shoulder strap for travel.
7. Pleather slipcase with felt lining for daily use.
8. Snow Leopard.
9. Parallels ( and installed windows 7).

So in the last 2 weeks I have gone from Windows Vista and 7, to MBA with SL, and loving the change. The following are what converted me:

1. Ambiant light sensor (I had no idea Macs had this).
2. Backlit keyboard (what a thrill to see that come on for the first time in combination with number 1!).
3. Form factor- spectacular!
4. Leopard OS (fast and simple)
5. Touchpad- I love this thing! I have yet to find a windows machine with a pad like this.
6. Magsafe- just a cool little connector. High on the gadget scale.
7. Aluminum body- No cheesy plastic here.
8. Time machine- what a sweet backup system! I quickly saw the advantage of getting a Time Capsule and hope mine arrives tomorrow.

And to think all this simplicity and joy could have been had over a year ago (but at a MUCH higher cost, which eliminated the possibility). So if anybody feels the cost is still too high, consider the following:

1. Rev B MBA brand new for $840
2. Time Capsule for $150 online
3. External battery to double or triple run time when traveling for $46 (now this one is questionable, but battery was used on ebay for $22 with shipping, plus Magsafe adapter from China for $25, but I dont have this yet, so have not tested yet.
4. Nice slip case for $25.
5. Extra charger for $27 (ebay).

A complete MBA with all the accessories needed to fully enjoy, on the road, at home or at work for around $1100 (including automatic backups, wirelessly even!)! I got my gadget fix for this month!

mackhydr4

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
When I got it, I was thrilled! I loved it, caressed the aluminum body (I know that sounds wrong, but I KNOW you all did, and probably still do, don't deny it!).

Ahermm...speak for yourself- :D:D:D

'just checking for dings or dents, hehe.

machacker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I walk around the house with mine just for fun. I love the thing. When people see me carrying it around, everyone has to comment.

I like that, everyone and their mom has a Unibody MBP. But mine really sticks out. And I like that. And it just fits my needs so well.

The rev C is so fast. I was surprised. I expected to see some loss of speed, but I really haven't.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I walk around the house with mine just for fun. I love the thing. When people see me carrying it around, everyone has to comment.

I like that, everyone and their mom has a Unibody MBP. But mine really sticks out. And I like that. And it just fits my needs so well.

The rev C is so fast. I was surprised. I expected to see some loss of speed, but I really haven't.

Mine really sticks out (blushing), because I am the only person I know that uses Mac, let alone an MBA. I was in the local Mac store the other day (for the first time), and started talking with the counter guy there. I asked how many MBA's he has sold, and his response was "about 6 since it was released last year". I was amazed, but then this is a small New England area. I expect not many people around here know what an MBA is. My netbook used to get plenty of attention, but I expect this will get more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.