Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fate0311

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
Is this for those who actually need a fresh install or is their some other benefit versus upgrading?

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
You can upgrade if you want to, and chances are it’ll be fine(I believe a majority of users will just hit the update button, which Apple expects) but freshly installing MacOS just takes away possible problems, you might receive otherwise, from upgrading.

NastyNatex

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Yeah I noticed on Mac OS. Clean install doesn't really matter much. I went from High Sierra to Mojave Beta to Mojave Release Build and no problem whatsoever.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I noticed that HS was significantly less stable than Sierra and also came with increased battery drain during sleep.

I did a clean install to help ensure that those issues were not carried to Mojave.

Too early to comment on stability but in terms of battery drain while sleeping it’s actually far worse than even High Sierra.

VJ12

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2017
Any time a new OS comes out you should always reformat and start fresh, it's to ensure the drivers and data are clean. II tried Mojave overlaying HS. I just finished a fresh install and it's night and day!

I do the same with Microsoft products!

Reactions: HenryDJP

markieG84

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2016
Any time a new OS comes out you should always reformat and start fresh, it's to ensure the drivers and data are clean. II tried Mojave overlaying HS. I just finished a fresh install and it's night and day!

I do the same with Microsoft products!
You have too much time on your hands

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.