Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Is there any reason for Apple to be releasing their products in September? Probably, and I can think of a couple (back to school, Christmas...)

But really who's aching to don their Apple Watch and go run in the cold November rain ? Not me. I also take most of my pictures on holiday in the summer, so to me a Spring release like they used to do them up until the iPhone 4 would be ideal.

It would also make sense to stagger their releases, since I'm not buying a Watch and an iPhone at the same time anyway, but I might upgrade the same year if they released different products every 6 months.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
It's probably because we are moving into the holiday shopping season and all of these things go on kids/adults Christmas lists.

Well it's like summer 9 months out of the year in Texas and other parts of the US have mild/warm weather year round too.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
You know the products are on sale longer than just September?
Who forces you to buy everything in September, and/or iPhone and watch at once?

Just buy them in spring, right before your vacation. Or any other time of the remaining 11 months of the year.

Really, there are some questions I just don’t understand o_O

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
- rewarding/motivating kids/students after midterms
- Christmas
- end of year for fiscal maths
- good distraction as we descend into winter

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Could have had the X75 modem and Wifi 7 chips if they had waited just 2 more months

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But really who's aching to don their Apple Watch and go run in the cold November rain ? Not me.
One can dream…

I live in Phoenix, AZ. Temperatures in November will be in the 70s and 80s with lows in the 60s. It doesn't get cold until February and we have maybe a week or two of below 32º weather then (in the morning only). I've been here 23 years and there has been no snow.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
September is the beginning of the Holiday Shopping Season. So people are not only shopping for others they’re shopping for themselves.
In the Spring people are spending money on vacations and other summer activities. Also there’s always IPhone Christmas ad campaigns in late fall that can influence people to buy a new iPhone.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Personally, I wouldn’t want to buy a brand new product before vacation. Just take a look at all the new threads on here. Lots of people having trouble with their new phones, watches, activations, and/or OS. It happens every year, and I’d hate to be one of the unlucky people and have to spend my vacation time troubleshooting or dealing with issues that haven’t been ironed out yet.

Also, it isn’t cold everywhere. The southern hemisphere is entering spring and summer, and vacation season is starting there.

Point is…there’s not going to be a date that will make everyone happy.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
who's aching to don their Apple Watch and go run in the cold November rain ? Not me. I also take most of my pictures on holiday in the summer, so to me a Spring release like they used to do them up until the iPhone 4 would be ideal.
Well, it’s a worldwide release, so your weather in November isn’t the only factor Apple considers.

Reactions: eyoungren

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Fewest number of global holidays in July and August, enabling a September launch.

You have to remember this is a product that needs to be manufactured, assembled, and shipped from China. Apple ramps to over 1M units per day. Recruitment happens in early summer and production ramp happens by July.

If it were about "holiday shopping," it would launch after October.

Ariel32

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
But really who's aching to don their Apple Watch and go run in the cold November rain ? Not me.
You'd be shocked to discover that some people actually work out all the time and AW is actually a real fitness device for them.

Compote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
You'd be shocked to discover that some people actually work out all the time and AW is actually a real fitness device for them.
I use it for fitness, why would anyone use it for anything else ? But I wouldn't go splashing in the mud by 6 degree celsius.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Is there any reason for Apple to be releasing their products in September? Probably, and I can think of a couple (back to school, Christmas...)

But really who's aching to don their Apple Watch and go run in the cold November rain ? Not me. I also take most of my pictures on holiday in the summer, so to me a Spring release like they used to do them up until the iPhone 4 would be ideal.

It would also make sense to stagger their releases, since I'm not buying a Watch and an iPhone at the same time anyway, but I might upgrade the same year if they released different products every 6 months.
Many countries in the world mandate 13th month pay.

That excess income goes to holiday spending.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
You have to remember this is a product that needs to be manufactured, assembled, and shipped from China. Apple ramps to over 1M units per day.
Apple's 4Q22 Shipment Volumes was 72.3 million.

So it is likely it peaks to around 1M units per day within the last 90 days of the year.

In total they ship 226.4 million.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.