Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Hey, I know the site has to make a buck.

But still, it seems a little odd to me...

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
It's perfectly targeted.

It's not unreasonable to expect people to browse this site using a PC. Maybe they are interested in macs but don't own one yet, use PC's at work or college or maybe just following Apple's news because they work in that sector.

I'd be interested to see some stats on what browsers hit this site.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Macs R Us said:
It ok, there mught be some dunmb Windows user here too:)...

Not sure if "dumb" was the most appropiate term there. Maybe "unwise" would have been a little less harsh ;)

Anywho, I find it funny when I see an ad for spyware removal apps that have the GUI Windows XP when I'm on OS X. Makes me laugh really.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
tech4all said:
Anywho, I find it funny when I see an ad for spyware removal apps that have the GUI Windows XP when I'm on OS X. Makes me laugh really.

My point (sort of) exactly...

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
What about the XP MCE ads that were up yesterday?

I know there are PC users here, I'm on one at work right now, but if I'm looking at Macrumors am I really interested in XP?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
hulugu said:
What about the XP MCE ads that were up yesterday?

I know there are PC users here, I'm on one at work right now, but if I'm looking at Macrumors am I really interested in XP?

It is quite possible that someone could be both a Mac fan and a PC user, so could be interested in both topics. Heck, a lot of IT guys need to be versed in Windows, even though they also like Macs, and may own them.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
Not exactly targeted is it?

Spend one hour browsing through lyrics over at http://www.lyricsstyle.com and count the number of spyware, adware, infection, virus-detection ads that pop-up. For each such ad, count the number of them that have a Windows-like interface. The ratio of the number of spyware/infection/etc. ads to the number of such ads with a Windows-like interface should be exactly 1:1 at the end of one hour.

Point is: Those ads are abundant and are on a plentiful number of genres of websites. So not only are they targeted, but they are targeted on here as well for economical purposes, as others have suggested before.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
tech4all said:
Not sure if "dumb" was the most appropiate term there. Maybe "unwise" would have been a little less harsh ;)

or maybe a little on the ignorant side?....

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I got one today on MacBytes advertising some tool that makes faster websites. The ad took longer to load than the rest of the page content :rolleyes:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Me = IT Guy, Windows Free for life. <cheer>

What amuses me most is when I hit a site with a pop-up the tells me:
"We've scanned your computer, and your Windows install is definitely infected! Click here to find out how to remove it and protect yourself!"

Sheesh. What a shotgun approach. :rolleyes:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
yellow said:
What amuses me most is when I hit a site with a pop-up the tells me:
"We've scanned your computer, and your Windows install is definitely infected! Click here to find out how to remove it and protect yourself!"

Especially when you're browsing on a Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.