Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Since I’m at a desk most days with my phone near a charger almost all the time, I love this feature. I just wish there was a quick button to press to charge to 100% when needed.
Yes, a Control Center button (maybe incorporate it into the same button that is used to enable low power mode?) would make this feature MUCH more useful. As it stands now, I leave mine on 80% because I work from home most of the time and this is way more than enough to get me through a day. But if I know I'm going to have a work day out in the field, or will be doing recreational stuff, and want 100%, it's quite a few taps into the settings to switch it.

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Resurrecting this thread, because I've been searching for exactly this functionality.

On 15 Pro 80% is more than enough for a whole day, except when traveling, out shooting more photos, etc. It would really be nice to have an (automation) shortcut to enable 100% charge for "this charge only" and then revert back to 80%.

Yes, you can dig into settings and do it manually and then back, but since it was a "new featur", I expected Apple would improve it through iOS updates.

Reactions: F308gt4

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
THIS is the best article I’ve seen on the subject (see 1st & last paragraph for TL;DR), plus other credible/corroborating data. 80% peak limiters are better than nothing, but an automated custom charge optimization (shortcut app + smartplug) would be far better. Does it work? Here’s my results after 4yrs (note: my usage pattern is unusually efficient w/ mostly wifi, lite apps, and tuned settings).

Why do you think creating an automation + smart plug is better than using native charge limiting? They do the same thing, with the difference that the first option is more laborious and requires a smart plug.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Yes, a Control Center button (maybe incorporate it into the same button that is used to enable low power mode?) would make this feature MUCH more useful. As it stands now, I leave mine on 80% because I work from home most of the time and this is way more than enough to get me through a day. But if I know I'm going to have a work day out in the field, or will be doing recreational stuff, and want 100%, it's quite a few taps into the settings to switch it.

Use AlDente. It’s a really nice app that manage the charge of the Mac. Works like a charm 👍

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Yes, I've used it for years, love it... but we're talking about iPhones, not Macs! :)

Yeah, exactly... like AlDente. 80% limiter is great, but just needs that final touch, like being accessible via shortcuts or via Control panel.

"Siri, charge to 100%." or something like that...

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2020
Resurrecting this thread, because I've been searching for exactly this functionality.

On 15 Pro 80% is more than enough for a whole day, except when traveling, out shooting more photos, etc. It would really be nice to have an (automation) shortcut to enable 100% charge for "this charge only" and then revert back to 80%.

Yes, you can dig into settings and do it manually and then back, but since it was a "new featur", I expected Apple would improve it through iOS updates.

I was wondering the same thing. On my apple watch, if I need to charge to greater than 80%, I just click on the little circle thing while it’s on the charger and it gives me the option to charge to full now. It would be nice if there was a way to do this on the phone.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Noticed there is a battery setting on new iPhone 15 Pro of 80%. May be the new software rather than the new phone ? Anyone know what the point of only charging battery to less than 100% ?

I only use about 20-25% of my battery each day so way force it to 100% when I only need 20-25%?

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Yeah, exactly... like AlDente. 80% limiter is great, but just needs that final touch, like being accessible via shortcuts or via Control panel.

"Siri, charge to 100%." or something like that...
Definitely... takes like 5-6 taps to get in there and make that change, should be more readily accessible.

blaugrana69

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
It's for people who are more worried about selling their iPhone, than using their iPhone.
I think that's me ! However, when trying to sell my 14 Pro Max some potential buyers didn't believe it was the original battery 😂(100% at 12 months)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.