Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is there a need for a phablet?

• Phablets would be wonderful

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • They are completely unnecessary.

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Yes, I get it. Holding up your iPad to your ears is extremely ridiculous. I have seen some people putting their phablets on their ears and it's so oversized.

But who ever said it has to be that way? Speakerphone and microphone can work. For privacy, use Apple's earpods.

Won't fit in the pocket? There's a backpack for that.

For someone like me, this is something I've always been looking for. I'd totally dump my iPhone in a heartbeat if there's an iPad mini phablet.

What do you think?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
For someone like me, this is something I've always been looking for. I'd totally dump my iPhone in a heartbeat if there's an iPad mini phablet.

What do you think?

I think you should rename this thread "Why I need..."

The phone format is already the lowest common denominator. Selling a tablet that requires a cellular plan will appeal to some, but doesn't have mass appeal (it would fall into Apple's "hobby" category).

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Rather than push for these sorts of devices, we should be demanding interoperability between apps like Skype and FaceTime, or between the various instant messaging programmes, or perhaps a standard protocol that all video/audio apps *must* adhere to. Imagine that world instead, all your tablets would instantly become phone capable devices (assuming proper connectivity of course). AT&T and others would hate it, but we would all benefit in major ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.