Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mystixman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
USA
Here are a few reasons I came up with that shows we will get new computers ( processor ) in January. This will also not use the Motorola Proccessor.

1) Mac OS 9 will not be bootable, Mac OS 9 runs on Motorola Chips only. Mac OS X can run on different processors since it is Unix based.

2) AMD has mentioned a partnership with Apple.

3) Its time for an update.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
All of those are good reason for speculation, but it remains just that, speculation and hopefulness. Just because its possible doesn't mean its going to happen.

Apple wants to move on from OS9 - you don't need a new processor to justify not being able to boot to OS9

AMD is a posibility, but delivering in that time scale is something different.

And we've needed new processors for years, nothing new there.

All that said - I would *love* to see new machines, but I don't think it will happen.

D

Paladin

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2002
Houston, TX
Let's see...

1)I have an IBM G3 in my 700 MHz iBook, and it runs OS 9. Therefore, OS 9 runs on non-Motorola processors.

2)AMD has not mentioned or announced a partnership with Apple, despite a large number of rumors.

3)Yes, we do need faster machines.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Where's Waldo

Is this some sort of trick question/statement? For the life of me I can't find the rumor in this post.

Looks more like an opinion to me, a poorly though out one, but and opinion nonetheless.

[Note: we're just giving you a hard time, everybody spouts x86 nonsense without any decent links to back it up - we're just waiting on some real news. The dog coughing up a Bill Gates shaped hairball routine is a little old. :)]

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I don't see what OS 9 not running on future hardware is supposed to prove. G4 towers can't boot up from System 6 even though System 6 runs on a Motorola chip. This is pretty commonplace in the Mac world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.