Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Really annoying, when you forward a text message grouped with a picture it often leaves a space above the text in the chat bubble. This basically tells the other person that they are receiving forwarded content and not as important.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
This is an annoyance that I would love to know myself ??‍♂️
I can’t believe no one is talking about this, extremely irritating as it lets the other person know you forwarded it, it’s embarrassing.

Reactions: max2

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Would you be able to show us an example of this?

If you’ll notice in this instance it inserted a space before AND after the two text bodies inside each bubble above and below the link.

Attachments

• 1025A8BA-E939-4325-8C2A-BE2211B88A06.png
    1025A8BA-E939-4325-8C2A-BE2211B88A06.png
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 224

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can’t believe no one is talking about this, extremely irritating as it lets the other person know you forwarded it, it’s embarrassing.
Out of curiosity, even if it does something to show that something is forwarded how is that in itself embarrassing? Emails have been forwarded and identified as such for what can be considered ages now, even in professional/business environments, and that's not really seen as something embarrassing (short of the email itself that is being forwarded being embarrassing or pointless somehow).

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Out of curiosity, even if it does something to show that something is forwarded how is that in itself embarrassing? Emails have been forwarded and identified as such for what can be considered ages now, even in professional/business environments, and that's not really seen as something embarrassing (short of the email itself that is being forwarded being embarrassing or pointless somehow).
We are talking about TEXT messages, nothing like emails. Texts are personal and intimate. I’m not talking about work related stuff.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I just manually go through the text and use backspace to remove those spacing issues before hitting “send” but, yes, this has bothered me for a long time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
We are talking about TEXT messages, nothing like emails. Texts are personal and intimate. I’m not talking about work related stuff.
Still not sure what the embarrassing part is in relation to what was described.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I just manually go through the text and use backspace to remove those spacing issues before hitting “send” but, yes, this has bothered me for a long time.
I always delete all spaces, it does it anyway.

Reactions: max2

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I always delete all spaces, it does it anyway.

When composing your text message, there are spaces where it appears that there won’t be.

Next time you try to send an image with text underneath it, place your curser at the beginning of the text and hit backspace, even though it looks like hitting backspace will delete the image.

This is just what has to be done to get rid of the “invisible” space.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
When composing your text message, there are spaces where it appears that there won’t be.

Next time you try to send an image with text underneath it, place your curser at the beginning of the text and hit backspace, even though it looks like hitting backspace will delete the image.

This is just what has to be done to get rid of the “invisible” space.

Hope that works, either way really stupid and unnecessary glitch.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I forward text messages all the time. If I am writing to three friends confirming dinner, they sure as hell know I'm going to either forward or copy and paste, not write a custom message to each one saying "Hi Friend, I just wanted to confirm that we are still on for dinner tonight at...".

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I forward text messages all the time. If I am writing to three friends confirming dinner, they sure as hell know I'm going to either forward or copy and paste, not write a custom message to each one saying "Hi Friend, I just wanted to confirm that we are still on for dinner tonight at...".
Ok? There are exceptions to every rule. Doesn’t change the fact that this is an obnoxious glitch that should’ve been fixed by now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok? There are exceptions to every rule. Doesn’t change the fact that this is an obnoxious glitch that should’ve been fixed by now.
There are likely quite a few bigger issues that are of higher priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: vivid2 and StarShot

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
I haven't a clue as to what you're referring to. Plus, why would you care?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Like what?
Pretty much almost any iOS update release thread in these forums can give a fairly good idea of different issues that are around.

Last edited:

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Maybe Apple wants you to know that a text message was forwarded and therefore this is intentional?
Judging by the abundance of other similarly annoying glitches I’d say odds are that is extremely unlikely. Why would they need to remind you, the person who literally just forwarded it, to know it was forwarded??

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Judging by the abundance of other similarly annoying glitches I’d say odds are that is extremely unlikely. Why would they need to remind you, the person who literally just forwarded it, to know it was forwarded??
Well, this would be in the sense of the recipient knowing, not so much the sender (who would already know anyway).

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Well, this would be in the sense of the recipient knowing, not so much the sender (who would already know anyway).
Again, why would you want the recipient knowing they are getting second hand content?? I already explained that these are texts not work emails. This is ridiculous, apple users will die before they acknowledge a flaw in their design.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Again, why would you want the recipient knowing they are getting second hand content?? I already explained that these are texts not work emails. This is ridiculous, apple users will die before they acknowledge a flaw in their design.
Seems that the comment was made not in the context of you wanting to know or wanting the recipient to know, but potentially Apple wanting to identify it as such.

Whether it's likely to be something like that or more of a bug of some sort is kind of up in the air. Ultimately no one here can really do anything about it either way.

Seems like that was simply a possibility that was brought up and has nothing to do with any Apple users (one of which you appear to be as well) saying anything about something being good or bad or anything like that.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Seems that the comment was made not in the context of you wanting to know or wanting the recipient to know, but potentially Apple wanting to identify it as such.

Whether it's likely to be something like that or more of a bug of some sort is kind of up in the air. Ultimately no one here can really do anything about it either way.

Seems like that was simply a possibility that was brought up and has nothing to do with any Apple users (one of which you appear to be as well) saying anything about something being good or bad or anything like that.
Honestly it just seems like any time I bring up any kind of flaw or glitch people fall on their faces defending apple

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Honestly it just seems like any time I bring up any kind of flaw or glitch people fall on their faces defending apple
Seems like a lot of the time simply discussing things seems to get interpreted as some sort of act of attacking or defending -- not everything is one or the other.

Reactions: TH55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.