Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Now I keep getting the “Some files were not available during the last backup”. It’s like it’s trying to back up but runs into that error. I turned off all the apps for backup so I don’t know what files are causing this problem.
[doublepost=1538175473][/doublepost]
I just checked my iCloud backup (I do at least a couple times a month because Apple).

Even though I put my phone on charge ever night, it says my last back up was 4 days ago. The hell?
Yep same here. Plugged in, WiFi and locked every night

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Now I keep getting the “Some files were not available during the last backup”. It’s like it’s trying to back up but runs into that error. I turned off all the apps for backup so I don’t know what files are causing this problem.

iCloud drive?

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Same problem here. Noticed the phone didn’t back up for like 4 days a couple of weeks back. Did a manual backup and waited. Then it would sometimes backup. I just checked and last backup was 2 1/2 days ago, I clearly plugged in the phone with WiFi on and locked several times during that period. I’m resorting to doing manual backups until the issue gets resolve.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I had that "Some files were not available during the last backup" problem intermittently with my X.

The support engineer had me do the following:
1) Set Auto Lock to never
2) Run a manual backup and let it finish successfully
3) Keep Auto Lock set to never and see if the next iCloud backup works automatically in 24 hours
4) If it does, then you can set Auto Lock back to whatever you had it on

Just make sure you remember to manually turn your screen off, especially with an X.

I thought he was ******** me with those instructions but it worked for me.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
there are a ton of icloud issues right now with people complaining about music sync issues and messages missing a ton of data/not syncing to other devices etc. I recommend reaching out to apple support on the phone

Yeah something was definitely going on yesterday, maybe still today, I was having issues signing into FaceTime and other misc things, can’t remember. And the other day I had to re-enter my iCloud password on iPhone to reconnect iCloud. Fortunately it didn’t delete all my local music (it will do this if iCloud is signed out)

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Apple support will be able to help you, but if you go in with the attitude that you’ve tried everything and that you know more than they do and don’t listen to them or try what they ask, then you’re just going to get frustrated with them and give up and get nowhere.

It’s quite possible that you do know more than them and it’s quite possible that you’ve already tried everything that they have suggested, but they don’t know that and they need you to try again before they can escalate the issue. They can’t escalate based on your statement “I already tried all that and it didn’t work”

What I would suggest is calling apple back and explaining the problem to them. They’ll have you try everything you’ve already done, but that’s OK. Lose the attitude and walk through the settings with them over the phone. That way they will know that everything is configured correctly. Then leave it plugged in, locked, and connected to WiFi overnight. The next day, when it didn’t work call back and let them know that it’s still not working. They may have a few other things for you to try (that you may or may not have tried before). Humor them and try those things as well and let it go another night, then call back and tell them that it didn’t work again.

Eventually when the front line of support runs out of options they will have no choice but to escalate this case to the engineers who can actually look at the logs and see what’s happening and why it’s failing. It will probably take several days to get to that point (because you’ll need to wait overnight to see if it starts backing up after each iteration of changes) but as long as you keep working with apple you will get there. If you just shut them down and keep the attitude that you’ve already tried everything and they are useless then you’re just shooting yourself in the foot here.

I get that it’s frustrating when you do know what you’re talking about and have to go back to the basics with support, but along the same lines, more often that not issues like this are caused when someone who does know what they’re doing misses a step or overlooks a setting, so it’s important for the support person to go back to step one and go over all the settings that you’ve already checked 30 times. There are certainly cases where everything is configured correctly and it’s still not working, but they need to start at the beginning and be absolutely certain that is what’s happening before it gets escalated.
Agreed with you. I had an issue with messages not syncing properly for a month's worth of conversations. Escalated to a senior advisor who had me go through all the troubleshooting steps (yes, it was frustrating, but I did it), and eventually she had to escalate it to engineering. Still waiting to hear back from them.

It's annoying, but I have faith they're doing what they need to do behind the scenes to analyze the issues I've been having. If you go through the process, they'll do the same for you.

It may seem like support advisors are clueless/going by a script, but as much as we hate it, we gotta trust the process.

Hopefully this helps a bit, OP? :)

RickCMC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Agreed with you. I had an issue with messages not syncing properly for a month's worth of conversations. Escalated to a senior advisor who had me go through all the troubleshooting steps (yes, it was frustrating, but I did it), and eventually she had to escalate it to engineering. Still waiting to hear back from them.

It's annoying, but I have faith they're doing what they need to do behind the scenes to analyze the issues I've been having. If you go through the process, they'll do the same for you.

It may seem like support advisors are clueless/going by a script, but as much as we hate it, we gotta trust the process.

Hopefully this helps a bit, OP? :)
Im actually scheduled to have a phone call with a Sr. Advisor so we will see how that goes

Daryl125

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
So since May your phone hasn’t backed up automatically at all? Something isn’t right.
It automatically backs up randomly. Sometimes after two days. Other times it's a week. No rhyme or reason. You seem to be obsessing over this issue. I get it - it should work - but it really isn't a major concern for me as I can force a manual back-up without a problem. I can't be bothered going back and forth with Apple for such a trivial matter.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
It has been like that - random sometimes 24 hours and sometimes 72 for my phone and iPad for several years now through many IOS releases

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
My automatic backups are failing most of the time since upgrading to iOS 12 (now 12.0.1) with the reason given that some files were in use. Manual backups work fine.

I already deleted the iCloud backup and tried again. Manual backup succeeded, but automatic backups almost always fail.

For example, last night I plugged my iPhone in and it didn’t automatically backup and has the messages about not being able to backup because files were in use. I restarted the phone, plugged it back in and the automatic backup succeeded. To be proactive, I restarted my iPad before plugging it in, but when I checked in the morning, the automatic backup had failed because files were in use. I manually backed up without issue.

Of note under iOS 11, I saw that files in use message every now and then, but in iOS 12, it happens nearly all the time.

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Same issue here right now. No solition over the whole internet works. It doesnt happen automatically qhen conmected to power-wifi-lock as it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.