Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
I have an iphone 7+ 32gb phone. I wanted to take a picture today and it told me I'm out of storage. I deleted several video over 8mb in size, which should have freed up enough to take one photo, but after doing so, it still said storage is full. Why would that be? By my naive reckoning, it should have let me take a photo since there's no way a single photo could be larger than the several videos I deleted.

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
31.8gb of 32gb. I'm a little confused though, because I pay Apple monthly for cloud storage that should be allowing me to always have storage available, so I'll have to check into this.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
31.8gb of 32gb. I'm a little confused though, because I pay Apple monthly for cloud storage that should be allowing me to always have storage available, so I'll have to check into this.

You might find you haven’t got the optimise storage option enabled meaning it’s leaving full blown videos and pictures locally stored and on iCloud.

With the optimise storage option it keeps a lower quality version on the device and when you click the photo to load it, it downloads the full resolution photo to view.

Unsure how much mobile data that could consume though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.