Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
So, if this is a scam "like reported on CNN", your friends have been getting emails asking for money? Right? If not, I'm not seeing how it's a scam like the article you linked to.

You don't have to worry about somebody downloading your iPad content to their iPad. At least not through through MobileMe. As a previous poster pointed-out, your iPad backup lives on your computer.

To clarify, MobileMe backs-up and syncs SOME of your data (bookmarks, calendar, contacts). Your apps, configuration, and app data are backed-up locally on your computer's hard drive when you sync to iTunes. Somebody who has access to your MobileMe account could sync that limited data that it syncs onto another device. That could be an iPad, iPhone, or Mac system.

Hopefully, you didn't put your credit card numbers, passwords, etc. as notes on your own Contacts entry as a friend of mine did! (I found out when he "Bump"ed me his contact information...)

You still haven't said if you use OSX or Windows.

If OSX, look under your home directory, Library/Application Support/MobileSync. You should see one or more directories named with long hex codes. Unfortunately, I don't think the hex code will identify your device. Look one created recently, it's probably for your iPad. If you only have one, you only have the backup for your iPhone. :( Note that I seem to have TWO for my iPad - not sure if they backup for iPad is split into two parts for some reason, or if something is messed-up. I assume there are some utilities you can download for working with these directories and giving you a better indication of what you have and possibly recover some or all of the data.

Sorry for the skepticism, but just as there are people who get a kick out of crime, even if they don't do well at it (I always say there are some people who would rather make a crooked dime than an honest dollar...), there are those who get a kick out of lying - especially on forums like this. Nothing personal, it's just when stuff like this is posted that is short on detail, I'm afraid my first impression is that it's BS.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
IRestored from that just to see, but it was of course the iPhone info.

I'd be pretty surprised if it's possible to restore an iPad from an iPhone backup.

Sorry, but this thread has once again activated my BS filter...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'd be pretty surprised if it's possible to restore an iPad from an iPhone backup.

Oh, it's very much possible, I've done it a number of times -- swapped data from ipod touch to iphone back to touch to ipad.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Oh, it's very much possible, I've done it a number of times -- swapped data from ipod touch to iphone back to touch to ipad.

Wow. Be interesting to see what happens with non-compatible apps. Wouldn't be a problem iPhone -> iPad, but iPad -> iPhone...

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
BTW, one application that will examine your backup data is mobilesync-inspect. There are others, but this one works on both OSX and Windows.

Doesn't tell you what kind of device the backup is for, etc. but you should be able to figure out from context which device is which, as it will identify (as part of the file paths) which apps are installed on each device.

JTSmeed

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
As for why the person who stole your MobileMe info wiped the iPad, it could have been pure malice, or it could have been an intentional move (as andiwm2003 said above) in order to make it as difficult as possible for you to attempt to address the problem.

However, it would be impossible for anyone to remotely delete the iPad backup off your computer--unless they had physical access to your computer, or the ability to control 100% of your computer operations remotely (which would mean they have a LOT more than just your MobileMe account info). Because your iPad backup is not kept in MobileMe, it is kept on your hard drive. No access to hard drive = no ability to delete your iPad backup. So either someone was physically in the room with your computer, using it, or else someone had full access to your computer remotely--do you have a home wireless network with NO password protection, etc? That's the kind of access it would take.

And if someone who was out for money (as the scam would indicate) had that kind of access to your computer, then I would think they would have 1001 things they would consider a higher priority to do than wipe your iPad backup off your hard drive. They'd be looking for financial/bank records, credit card numbers, etc.

Are you SURE the iPad backup isn't still there? What message do you get when you plug the iPad into your computer and fire up iTunes?

Assuming that the alleged hacker has gained the OP's MobileMe username and password, they could then sign in on their own Mac and use back to my Mac (assuming it is enabled on the OP's own Mac). This would not only allow the malicious individual to delete the iPad backup, would essentially give them total access to everything on the OP's machine. If you have not done so already, I would immediately change my mobileMe password and make sure that it is secure. Personally, I would also either remove mobileMe from my Mac or at least disable any and all syncing and remote access services.

Best of luck in getting everything sorted out..

mntentman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
I am on a Mac.

Yes, you can use the iPhone backup to the iPad. It gives you that option, and since in my case it was the only option, I did it. Doesn't work very well, of course, just puts on the apps that were on the phone. It did give me a note at the end that some apps did not transfer -- I think the only one is Red Laser, or something like that, that uses the iPhone camera.

I think I am back up and running OK after working with Apple and changing all my password info. I did not store sensitive data in my emails or contacts, so I am good there. But the scammer does not seem that sophisticated, does not appear to be after financial info.

Yes, the hack was just as described in CNN article (and elsewhere). When I got up and went to check email, it said my password was incorrect. Just then, I got a text from a friend asking if I was in fact in London, etc., and then the phone started ringing with people calling to alert me about the emails they were getting. It was scary and frustrating. I went online with Apple and we found that my emails were being forwarded to a newly-created yahoo address. And, in fact, a friend of mine was corresponding with the hacker (or whoever had possession of my account). He knew it was fake when he asked if my wife was OK, using the wrong name. The hacker said she was fine.

Once I got possession of my email back, I could see all the emails the hacker had sent. Pretty crude... they were both to and from the same address, and recipients were being blind copied. My degree is in English, I've worked as a writer, and the email language was bad, so people knew it was not me. Most people, that is... I was surprised that some said they almost sent the guy the money.

To those of you who think this is made up, I only wish. Messed up my day pretty good.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Yes, you can use the iPhone backup to the iPad. It gives you that option, and since in my case it was the only option, I did it. Doesn't work very well, of course, just puts on the apps that were on the phone.

Ah. forgetting that the apps are actually separate from the backup. Apps are stored in a subdirectory in your iTunes library, and aren't duplicated across devices. They go by iTunes account.

Only app DATA is stored in the backup.

Yes, the hack was just as described in CNN article (and elsewhere). When I got up and went to check email, it said my password was incorrect. Just then, I got a text from a friend asking if I was in fact in London, etc.

Yikes! Now that has to be scary! Sorry for doubting you, but the information you gave was incomplete. Understandable given the chaos.

MobileMe sounds like an ideal attack vector for this scam, because they can take control of your computer AND disable multiple additional devices that might clue you in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.