Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm in the game for a new phone, and considering the iPhone 8 Plus - even though it becomes the bargain-basement phone today; for several reasons:

- For me to put out $1000+ for a phone, I want to plan on keeping it for several years
- I really want to wait for a 5G iPhone
- Most likely, I'll want to upgrade for next year's 2020 iPhone 5G
- Last year's XS/Max line of phones are now worth only half of what they sold for (Gazelle: $550, down from $1099)
- The 8/Plus will probably sell for around only $500, with my 6s+'s $200 Apple trade-in value
- It makes no monetary sense to buy this year's iPhone 11/Pro if we lose half the value for selling next year
- I'm still a slave to the physical home button (which the 8/Plus has)
- I highly prefer TouchID (which the 8/Plus has)
- I heavily use 3D Touch (which the 8/Plus has), now reported to be removed from the new 11/Pro line
- Frankly, the Pixel line have the best cameras on a smartphone; even tho it's not an iPhone, it's still something to consider if Apple doesn't seriously step up its camera game this year
- the 8/Plus A11 is still highly relevant and competitive in speeds, A12/A13 reported to be only incremental
- AGAIN, FOR ME: Most likely, I'll want to upgrade for next year's 2020 iPhone 5G, and I'll lose half of my $1100 11/Pro/Max value by next year, if I buy it brand new this year; I won't lose that much if I bought the 8/Plus this year.

Yeah, the 8/Plus cameras most likely will seriously pale in comparison to the new triple-camera 11/Pro/Max line; but for me it would only be an extra year and still better than my current 6s+.

What reasons may YOU end up choosing the 8/Plus over this year's 11/Pro/Max?

EDIT: And how do you feel about the 8/Plus cameras?

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Touch ID, home button, and a Screen design that actually does not cause troubles when using in landscape mode. No, I am not talking about watching movies, but playing games. Bezels for usability, I think I can take it.

5G won’t be relevant for 80% of people until at least 3-5 years later, and by then, 6G will come up. My opinion is to not care much about 5G. It won’t provide anything groundbreaking to smartphone today, even the download speed. 5G is for IoT.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Touch ID, home button, and a Screen design that actually does not cause troubles when using in landscape mode. No, I am not talking about watching movies, but playing games. Bezels for usability, I think I can take it.

5G won’t be relevant for 80% of people until at least 3-5 years later, and by then, 6G will come up. My opinion is to not care much about 5G. It won’t provide anything groundbreaking to smartphone today, even the download speed. 5G is for IoT.

I much prefer the ‘footprint’ of the 6/7/8 chassis. I don’t mind the bezels I find the bezels make for better usability. I have an 8 non plus and prefer it over the X chassis.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
500 or more for an iPhone 8 i couldn’t do. Needs to be 100-200 at most (without a trade in). Carriers often make offers where this phone will be free.

I anticipate there will be holiday sales for iPhones 11 where you can save 200-300. I’ll probably use vet discount and a cc to save 13% from Apple. Resell next year.

I’m not going to get into Touch ID, form factor and all that. We know the differences.

Reactions: phillytim

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I have the 8 plus and was thinking about upgrading to the XS Max but to be honest, there is nothing wrong with the 8 plus, it's a great phone, I just like getting new phones lol. But I have no complaints of the 8 Plus, in fact I traded in the X for it because it was to small, I like the larger phones.

I agree... Nothing wrong with it.

Wife and kid just upgraded from 8 Plus/7 Plus to XS Max and XR via a BOGO deal with Verizon. I'm gonna check out the keynote but I am 99.999% sure I'll be keeping my 8 Plus a 3rd year.

It's paid off and still does everything I need it to do... quite well I might add. It's not like it's bogging down out of memory and can't run apps... LOL

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I agree... Nothing wrong with it.

Wife and kid just upgraded from 8 Plus/7 Plus to XS Max and XR via a BOGO deal with Verizon. I'm gonna check out the keynote but I am 99.999% sure I'll be keeping my 8 Plus a 3rd year.

It's paid off and still does everything I need it to do... quite well I might add. It's not like it's bogging down out of memory and can't run apps... LOL

Same situation.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I'm in the game for a new phone, and considering the iPhone 8 Plus - even though it becomes the bargain-basement phone today; for several reasons:

- For me to put out $1000+ for a phone, I want to plan on keeping it for several years
- Last year's XS/Max line of phones are now worth only half of what they sold for (Gazelle: $550, down from $1099)
- The 8/Plus will probably sell for around only $500, with my 6s+'s $200 Apple trade-in value
- It makes no monetary sense to buy this year's iPhone 11/Pro if we lose half the value for next year
- I heavily use 3D Touch (which the 8/Plus has), now reported to be removed from the new 11/Pro line
- Frankly, the Pixel line have the best cameras on a smartphone; even tho it's not an iPhone, it's still something to consider if Apple doesn't seriously step up its camera game this year
- the 8/Plus A11 is still highly relevant and competitive in speeds, A12/A13 reported to be only incremental
- AGAIN, FOR ME: Most likely, I'll want to upgrade for next year's 2020 iPhone 5G, and I'll lose half of my $1100 11/Pro/Max value by next year, if I buy it brand new this year; I won't lose that much if I bought the 8/Plus this year.

Yeah, the 8/Plus cameras most likely will seriously pale in comparison to the new triple-camera 11/Pro/Max line; but for me it would only be an extra year and still better than my current 6s+.

I'd say go for it. I also bought mine end of last year (December) and i love it. Amazing phone. Amazing performance, display and camera. Yes, it's not the best, but still very capable. This phone should be good for a couple more years.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA

I already mentioned my reasons in my above post... but as for the camera, I really could care less about phone cameras. I use them strictly for FB photos. For high quality camera pics/videos I have a Panasonic GH5... amazing pics with 4K 60 fps video so in short a phone camera doesn't influence my purchase decision at all.

Really don't see myself upgrading but as said I'm gonna check out the keynote.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

- It makes no monetary sense to buy this year's iPhone 11/Pro if we lose half the value for next year

I previously used an iPhone X for a year and am at the one year mark with my iPhone XS Max.

I will hold off a final decision until post-keynote today, but all signs point to me trading in my soon to be out of warranty XS Max for an 8 Plus this week.

I should say from the start that I didn't really commit long term to the XS Max. I balked at paying $200 for AC+. At that time (Sept 2018) I though Apple might release a smaller iPhone in the fall of 2019, so I wanted to keep my options open for this time period.

The small phone isn't coming this year (but it will next year) but after the first 3 months of using the XS Max, I realized that I felt it was a huge waste of money. I like the phone a great deal, but not for the price it costs me monthly (and ultimately in totality after 24 months).

The 8 Plus makes sense for me. For the same price I'd be paying for the XS Max in the next 12 months, I can get a new 8 Plus, with a one year warranty built-in, and $150 for AC+ (which is easier to swallow vs. $200 on the Max). I will use the 8 Plus for 2 years and then potentially get a folding iPhone in 2021. (I don't care about getting 5G next year.)

There are things I will miss about the Max. (Loud speakers, ability to switch apps with a simple swipe, larger power button, tap to wake.) And there are things I will love instead about the 8 Plus. (Battery percentage icon, ability to get back to the home screen easier, ability to access control center easier.) Touch ID and Face ID are a wash IMO.

icloudUser

macrumors regular
May 20, 2019
I have the 8 plus and was thinking about upgrading to the XS Max but to be honest, there is nothing wrong with the 8 plus, it's a great phone, I just like getting new phones lol. But I have no complaints of the 8 Plus, in fact I traded in the X for it because it was to small, I like the larger phones.

the intel modems in 2018 and 2019 phones are a deal breaker.They have been problematic for me.
I used both the XS and XR - same problems with holding on to WIFI or LTE.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
I like my IP8, the size and weight is great.

So I´ll keep it for another year hoping a small device next year.

I´m tempted to get the 8+, but I sold two XR for it´s size and weight, so the 8+ would go the same way in case I try it.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'd say one reason why some will choose to go with the 8/8Plus oppose to getting the latest and greatest is the Touch ID/Home button. I'm sure not everyone are into the Face ID, and looks like Touch ID will continue to have a role.

My friend who is born blind still can't get with the Face ID and he prefers the Touch ID, and plus he always on the belt clip so it would make more sense to use the Touch ID to unlock the phone while the phone is still in the belt clip hoisted on his waist. He probably will continue to stick with the 8 and till apple finds a way to implement the Touch ID under the screen, he won't be upgrading.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Yes, but a refurb
Agree with your statement above,but some caveats: YES absolutely go for the 8 series, they're great phones that will still be a great phone for a few years. I see no problems buy a refurbished iPhone from Apple and nobody else. That way you know you're getting a quality product. The only issue with that is, you can usually find brand new on the market for less than what Apple charges for their refurb units.

Reactions: Elitegate

Superlamb

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
UK
Agree with your statement above,but some caveats: YES absolutely go for the 8 series, they're great phones that will still be a great phone for a few years. I see no problems buy a refurbished iPhone from Apple and nobody else. That way you know you're getting a quality product. The only issue with that is, you can usually find brand new on the market for less than what Apple charges for their refurb units.

Indeed, definitely get a refurb through Apple!

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Now that the keynote is complete, my desire to purchase an 8 Plus only solidified. It's actually $20 cheaper than I expected at $549, and now we have the new option of AppleCare monthly meaning you can have protection on your iPhone in year 3 if you keep it that long. Terrific stuff.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
The 8 folks sure have quieted down; did the new iPhone 11 stuff entice you to upgrade from the 8?

Having an 8 no, they are too big; the X was the most similar in form factor but now (the 11 Pro) is heavier and bigger, so for me, no.

Perhaps from an 8+ the 11 is a good upgrade, dual cameras, night mode and portrait mode free (no only for humans) in a smaller and lighter body.

But that notch... :confused:

And PRICE, 549 for the 8+ and 699 for the 11; and if you look refurbished...
[doublepost=1568288861][/doublepost]
Now that the keynote is complete, my desire to purchase an 8 Plus only solidified. It's actually $20 cheaper than I expected at $549, and now we have the new option of AppleCare monthly meaning you can have protection on your iPhone in year 3 if you keep it that long. Terrific stuff.

So you´ll go from the XS MAX to the 8+? The body is the same, but the rest is pretty different, of course, is pure taste.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
The 8 folks sure have quieted down; did the new iPhone 11 stuff entice you to upgrade from the 8?

Well I'm changing my mind. I watched the keynote... (and this video)

... and I think it's a no brainer.

I'm gonna upgrade to the 11 though. It's the best value and I don't care about the OLED screen or a 3rd camera. That being said I can get $300 in trade for my 8 Plus paired with the $270 gift card I got a couple weeks ago when I upgraded the kid from the 7 Plus to the XR and end up getting the 128GB 11 for next to nothing... like $170 or so.

At that price, why not? I have the 256GB 8 Plus but have 195GB free... so 128 will be fine.

This upgrade puts me in a position to upgrade next year as well when the better new design phones 5G yada yada yada are supposedly coming. Until then I can enjoy a decent upgrade at a bargain price.

Every video I've seen has said the 11 is the best value in the lineup this year and I'd have to agree.

I guess that means I changed my mind. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.