Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alebar14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Auckland CBD, New Zealand
Hi Guys,

Just out of curiosity, why owning a Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz with 4 GB RAM and 250 GB internal hard drive never been enough to use at your daily life ? We know that there are Mac Pro users with their 8 Core processor , 16 GB RAM , and 3 TB internal hard drive will feel the same way too. What aspects can you describe ?

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Well, I am happy with mine, a 2 GHz MB, 2GB RAM and 250 GB hd. 20% more processor.. well does not seem much. I actually would like more on the software side: A better terminal !, with colors ! like in linux :).
The other point is a higher res screen. I know, I got the middle line model, but anyways, some programs I use really need more screen real state (Flex Builder, Netbeans), several desktops help also (Like Desktop Manager or VirtueDesktop). An external monitor... is then the way to go, but not to lug it around... next machine will (hopefully) be a MBPro.

DaveTurnbull

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Well I haven't got a Mac yet, but I know when I get it it won't be enough simply because it can't run everything I need it to run + games.

doowrehs

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Well I haven't got a Mac yet, but I know when I get it it won't be enough simply because it can't run everything I need it to run + games.

Just curious - what software are you using that you think can't be run on a Mac? With their ability to run OS X, Windows, multiple Linux variants, etc. I would have thought this would allow for all but the most obscure applications to be run. As for games, well - again - given that Macs support OS X, Windows, Linux, etc. surely this will enable you access to more games than if you bought any other machine. Why wouldn't this "be enough" for you?

DaveTurnbull

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Just curious - what software are you using that you think can't be run on a Mac? With their ability to run OS X, Windows, multiple Linux variants, etc. I would have thought this would allow for all but the most obscure applications to be run. As for games, well - again - given that Macs support OS X, Windows, Linux, etc. surely this will enable you access to more games than if you bought any other machine. Why wouldn't this "be enough" for you?

Okay, well I can use Bootcamp, but it just seems wrong to install Windows on a Mac, lol. Besides, I'll need the space, and I'm only losin' out on a couple of apps.

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Well, I am happy with mine, a 2 GHz MB, 2GB RAM and 250 GB hd. 20% more processor.. well does not seem much. I actually would like more on the software side: A better terminal !, with colors ! like in linux :).
Not that I have used OS X terminal a lot since I'm new to OS X but it definitly supports colors, and it's also the fastest terminal around afaik (beating all terminals running in X.)

It may have issues thought, but I would assume it's decent atleast.

To answer the thread:
I have the 2.2GHz MBP and my mac hasn't been enough with it's 128MB vram and Apple should eat ****.
My MBP uses 45 million bytes vram when I do my normal stuff but 131 when I fire up aperture and start editing an image making it run real slow, the loupe is also very slow once the vram runs out. Thankfully my usage is only up to 69 with Lightroom. I would prefer the "browse AND adjust" mode of aperture compare having to switch between them but anyway..
Apple is lame which makes such misstakes.

Guy above:
I "learned" that final cut studio or whatever it was used 45GB of disk space.. or if it was logic.. anyway with such programs yes, 120GB is way to little.
But I will put in another bigger drive some day anyway.

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Not that I have used OS X terminal a lot since I'm new to OS X but it definitely supports colors, and it's also the fastest terminal around afaik (beating all terminals running in X.)

Terminal is o.k. Not great. (Have a look at what mc is in linux, and compare it to what you get in OSX). Being the fastest... Not in my opinion. (I use linux everyday), may be is the fact that my linux pcs have dedicated graphics :). But the integrated graphics in the MB is quite speedy for everything I do, and the occasional game of Heretic (with doomsday engine). Rivals the GeForce Go 5100 I have in the Toshiba Laptop, in terms of this specific game. Maybe the fact that is dual core helps :)

problem solved

That's not exactly what I had in mind, but thanks!, I got rid of the tiresome black-on-white, I forgot completely about that.... may be is a configuration thing.. I'll have to dig it up.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have a Mac Pro and a MBP, the only thing I wish these things would do is get jobs when I am not using them, so they can pay for themselves.....:D

i also would like some toast

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
my main problem is hard disk space.

say, an indesign document. i keep version 1 till 10. or in aperture. keeping a lot of versions.

i think the time to delete unwanted files, or the motivation to filter the good pictures is the problem, why my mac is not enough.

so i guess, the problem why my hardware is not enough, is not my hardware, but it is me. :eek:

Mr. B

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2005
GET A GOOD EXTERNAL HARDRIVE.

I swear to god, it will make your computer seem SO MUCH BETTER.

Put your iphoto library on it. Put your itunes libary on it. Put your Lightroom/Aperture library on it. Use it as an external scratch disk for the whole photoshop suite.

Put files on it you don't touch very often, put applications you don't use very often but don't want to delete onto it.

A good external hardrive is *not* very expensive for all the good it does for your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.