Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Hi, I was given a 2009 iMac and the Wi-Fi is greyed out. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I was given a 2009 iMac and the Wi-Fi is greyed out. Has anyone seen this before?
Tell us about version of macOS installed on iMac and tell us about your wireless router and details about router configuration for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Sorry what do you mean configuration?
Are you broadcasting an SSID?
Are channels being auto selected? If so, what channels are selected?
Is band steering enabled or disabled?
What is your WiFi security setting? WPA2? WPA3? Other?
Etc, etc.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
SSID yes and when I got the iMac it was running snow sierra as for the rest I don’t know and I have forgotten the password to get into the router settings. Thanks anyway

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does your wifi work OK on another computer?
Can you try an ethernet cable, directly from your router?

If your wifi won't switch on from your 2009 iMac -- maybe you need to reinstall the High Sierra system. Easy to do if you can connect directly to your router (using an ethernet cable.)

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Does your wifi work OK on another computer?
Can you try an ethernet cable, directly from your router?

If your wifi won't switch on from your 2009 iMac -- maybe you need to reinstall the High Sierra system. Easy to do if you can connect directly to your router (using an ethernet cable.)
I see. Yes Wi-Fi works fine with other computers phones etc. I have connected the mac with an Ethernet just so I can get internet access and after I got the mac I installed Sonoma but the problem did not go away.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I assume you used OCLP to install Sonoma.
If you open OCLP now, does it report that all Post-Install Root patches are installed?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
2009 was a 'changeover' year for iMacs--changing over from one generation to another
There are 5 different 2009 iMac models. Which one do you have?

Did you use OCLP 1.4.3, or later?
Have you tried reloading the root patches?

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
2009 was a 'changeover' year for iMacs--changing over from one generation to another
There are 5 different 2009 iMac models. Which one do you have?

Did you use OCLP 1.4.3, or later?
Have you tried reloading the root patches?
It’s a late 2009 iMac 11,1 and yes I used version 1.4.3.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Was the wifi working with High Sierra, before you installed Sonoma?
If yes, I would suggest using OCLP to Revert Root Patches, then reinstall those Root Patches.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Was the wifi working with High Sierra, before you installed Sonoma?
If yes, I would suggest using OCLP to Revert Root Patches, then reinstall those Root Patches.
No the WiFi didn’t work with high sierra too

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
The wifi antennae are easily broken when upgrading a lot of the iMacs if you go too deep around the edges of the screen. That may have happened at some point with your iMac, which would result in wifi not being available. Your options then would be to replace the broken part (difficult unless you're pretty decent at fixing electronics), use ethernet, or get a USB-wifi adapter.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
Are you broadcasting an SSID?
Are channels being auto selected? If so, what channels are selected?
Is band steering enabled or disabled?
What is your WiFi security setting? WPA2? WPA3? Other?
Etc, etc.
Wifi being greyed out would have nothing to do with access point config.
It will be an os/firmware/hardware issue.

OP will need to reinstall os, maybe going back to an earlier version and update one version at a time.
Or wifi hardware may have died.
Edit: OP if you're using a patched os then there's your issue

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
The wifi antennae are easily broken when upgrading a lot of the iMacs if you go too deep around the edges of the screen. That may have happened at some point with your iMac, which would result in wifi not being available. Your options then would be to replace the broken part (difficult unless you're pretty decent at fixing electronics), use ethernet, or get a USB-wifi adapter.
a broken antenna would not disable wifi, the signal would just be really weak

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
OP did report (Post #14) that wifi also did not work, while still on High Sierra.
This is an ex company iMac so any work/repair would have been done by the IT department so it’s unlikely that they damaged something. What are the chances of the 2009 iMac not having wireless hardware? Probably close to 0. I am using Ethernet for internet access so it’s not a big problem.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
This is an ex company iMac so any work/repair would have been done by the IT department so it’s unlikely that they damaged something. What are the chances of the 2009 iMac not having wireless hardware? Probably close to 0. I am using Ethernet for internet access so it’s not a big problem.

Probably the IT department removed the wifi card.
You can just open your iMac to sneek-peek inside and check the wifi card existence, or hardware connectivity. It's located at the top of the frame, right under the webcam.
If it is missing, you can always buy another for probably 5$ including shipping.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Probably the IT department removed the wifi card.
You can just open your iMac to sneek-peek inside and check the wifi card existence, or hardware connectivity. It's located at the top of the frame, right under the webcam.
If it is missing, you can always buy another for probably 5$ including shipping.
You are probably right because there is no way a 2009 iMac would not have Wi-Fi.

prasinos1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
You are probably right because there is no way a 2009 iMac would not have Wi-Fi.
You are probably right because there is no way a 2009 iMac would not have Wi-Fi

The reason I got this iMac is because my other one shut down and has not started since plugging in it an external dvd drive but with the mains lead of another device. Would that have burned something and is it now only good for scrapping? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.