Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
widescreen iBooks would be nice, and they seem due for a form factor change, i just wonder about the 12" powerbook not being widescreen then?

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Damn... that is gorgeous.

With this, and the ASUS notebook from a couple of weeks back... PC hardware manufacturers are seriously catching up.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Random, yet releated, question

Why exactly is wide screen better than the normal 4:3 screen? I mean I know it's wider, but at the same time you loose in height at the same size between wide screen and 4:3.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
tech4all said:
Why exactly is wide screen better than the normal 4:3 screen? I mean I know it's wider, but at the same time you loose in height at the same size between wide screen and 4:3.

I believe the only real reason is because widescreen is closer to how our eyes work.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
tech4all said:

In this case, the computer has a 12" screen that is 1280x800, so it's got bettter resolution in both directions than the iBook. But I guess, for me personally, I'd agree with you that, if the choice were between 1024x768 and 1280x580 (or some similar number smaller than 768), I would also go for the normal screen over the widescreen. Widescreens are nice for movies, and they're nice in that you have more room for your buddy list on the side, and extra windows hanging under the sides of your window, but for most of my use, seeing more of a page vertically would be much more useful.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
you can't automatically assume a higher resolution ... the 15" powerbooks only run at 1280x854 .... so I would doubt the 12" would automatically begin using that without an upgrade in LCD quality

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i would prefer widescreen because you do get a slightly better resolution

but because its wider you can fit that much more across, scrolling down is no problem or hassle for me

i would rather to able to fit two docs (even slightly squished) side-by-side than be able to see more vertically

but thats just me

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Kwyjibo said:
you can't automatically assume a higher resolution ... the 15" powerbooks only run at 1280x854 .... so I would doubt the 12" would automatically begin using that without an upgrade in LCD quality

I was referring to the MSI notebook reviewed in the link at the top of the thread. If they're selling it, then "it isn't physically possible" seems like an unlikely explanation. ;) Of course I have *no idea* what Apple will do. For all I know, they'll drop it down to 800x600, and sell millions of them under the "Life is Blocky" campaign. :D

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I'd like to see it happen, but I'd expect the 12" Powerbook to go widescreen first. Should be part of the mega-overhaul for whatever processor Powerbook that succeeds the current G4s.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
The next iBook update (maybe August) should bring a new form factor. The current design is great, but it's getting old. I think the current iBooks hold the record for keeping the same form factor.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Side by side the widescreen notebook does make the regular iBook's screen look a little cumbersome but Apple leaves it for dead in every other aesthetic facet IMO. :)

I can't see widescreen iBooks happening any time soon though. :(

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I don't think we'll see wide screen iBooks... that has always seem like a Pro feature. Except for the 12" PowerBook, that thing is more of a ramped up 12" iBook.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
musicpyrite said:
I don't think we'll see wide screen iBooks... that has always seem like a Pro feature. Except for the 12" PowerBook, that thing is more of a ramped up 12" iBook.

I don't think it's necessarily a pro feature. What about the iMacs?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I seriously doubt they'll bring out a WS ibook. It'll start to come close to closing the gap between the two which would be the downfall for one of the product lines.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
tech4all said:

Because we take in more info when placing things side-to-side rather than top-to-bottom. When you compare 2 things, you usually place them beside each other, not one above the other. Its just the way your eyes and brain work.

You can also scroll vertically if you need to.

Plus, I'd rather have a widescreen laptop and slightly better resolution because I need to keep a Word document and a PDF file beside each other, I can. It would be great to have a 15" widescreen, but I always said it would be great if Apple redid the 12" and made it widescreen. Dell already did it, and so have Samsung and apparently MSI does as well. Or make it a 13" like Sony did. A 13" Sony Vaio is basically the same size as my 12" PB, or at leasts it looks like it.

And making a widescreen laptop doesn't necessarily guarantee a higher resolution notebook. The screen quality has to be improved as well, which is why this may be more of a pro feature. You can keep more palettes open and such in pro apps.

AstroManLuca

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2005
Minnesota
Something like this would be nice:

Image-B11EACB0BA9A11D8.jpg

It could use the 1152x768 resolution formerly used by the 15" Titanium before it switched to 1280x854. A 14" 3:2 widescreen would rock. That way, it would provide some incentive to purchase the larger 14" display because it would offer more pixels and a widescreen format, without infringing on the PowerBooks (lower resolution than the 15", much bulkier than the 12"). The 12" would remain the same.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Actually it would make sense if the OSX is really geared more toward the widescreen experience. Those PC laptops do look nice though - a shame they took all of these years to get them to look like the Apple products - just means Apple needs to press forward and show them the next wave of the evolution...

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
the only thing that's stopping me from wanting a 14" iBook, is the resolution. it is only 1024x768. if they made it 14" widescreen, with 1152x768, i would jump in line right then and there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.