Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Hi. I'm currently working on a widget that I'm having problems with. When switching to the back side, the widget retains the dimensions that it had on the front side, which cuts off the rest of the back side. If anyone has the time, I'd really appreciate the help in figuring out how to center the back side horizontally and making the back display at the correct size. Here's the widget. Thanks in advance!
-Chase

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Hello rendezvouscp,

The link yo your widget was dead when i tried it ;)

I've encountered the same problem you did when trying to make a folding widget (see sig). I haven't fixed the bug yet, but i think i know how to do it. Resizing a widget works perfectly, except when resizing while flipping. Apple knows this i think (widgets moving and stuff, it makes sense, in my head).
The best thing you can do is make the front bigger (as big as the back), but only in widget size, it will be perfectly transparent, you will have to look out for the (i) not to show up until you reach the real front.

I hope this gets fixed in an update of dashboard, i'm going to check out apple's own forum about this. I'll let you know if i find something.

Cheers

EDIT: "Safari can’t open the page “http://discussions.info.apple.com/” because it could not connect to the server “discussions.info.apple.com”."
:rolleyes:

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Hey, thanks for the response. I fixed the link (I accidentally linked to my copy on my computer, doh! :eek: ) and I've been looking through the discussion pages (I've already read the ADC manuals for widgets). I haven't found anything yet, but I'm going to keep fiddling around until I do.

The biggest problem about this bug is that I'm creating a Wiki widget that is going to be resizable by the user. Sadly, I can't assume any sizes, so I can't adjust the front so it matches the back.

I know that Apple's widgets flip correctly (like Dictionary, when it's just a bar, it'll flip correctly) and I've tried working from their code. I'm guessing that I'll try and do that again.

I've run into another curious thing about widgets: when they flip, the backside is always in the top left hand corner of the "widget area." I'm going to see if I can't get my widget to flip and center itself on that vertical axis that the flip is rendered on.
-Chase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.