Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2012
I have a couple widgets on my desktop and until a recent update (can't say which - sorry), my desktop icons would treat widgets like a window and position the icons away from the widget. Not sure how best to describe this.... Since something changed, those desktop icons are now going under or behind widgets. Anyone else seeing this ?

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2012
This shows how it's behaving now. Notice the (2) icons behind the widget ? Previously, they would be automatically positioned starting where "Work" is currently.

1701874480244.png

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I've experienced this since 14.0. A reboot fixes it temporarily but Sleep or something causes it to happen again. I moved my widgets 1 column to the left. Not great but tired of dealing with it.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Moving desktop items???
I've never seen this happen to my desktop. Never.
And I don't think I would like them to behave like that.
So, if you have notifications and widgets showing, the second you click on a desktop item, the widgets will close and the items will move??? And if you try to double-click a desktop item, the secondary click will miss because the item has moved?
Seems very strange to me.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2012
I found if you force quit Finder, it will start working again.
Thank you ! That worked. I saw the post above about restarting the computer to fix this (I quit using Windows a long time ago) and wasn't going to do this just yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.