Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Hi, unfortunately my wife was stolen her Android P20pro tonight, a thief pick-pocketed her jacket at the restaurant.
She's now going to switch to an Iphone but we need to purchase one straight-away, no time for research or looking at the best deal.

I'm the happy owner of an Iphone XR with applecare+ and IUP, purchased 9 months ago. We were wondering:

-does it make sense to purchase a second Iphone under my appleId in order to benefit from sharing apps?

-can we have a common applecare+ for both iphones?

-If I was to purchase a new one and give her my old Xr,
would it be easy to migrate my iphone Xr to a new 11 without using cloud?
including whatsapp and everything on it

Many thanks!

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
She can have her own Apple ID and share apps through family sharing.

You can’t share Apple care tho.

As far as everything else I don’t usually use backups so I wouldn’t know

Reactions: arn

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
-does it make sense to purchase a second Iphone under my appleId in order to benefit from sharing apps?

No. You want distinct AppleIDs. Sharing will bite you in the arse down the road. You can however use Family Sharing as someone else mentioned, to share purchases.

-If I was to purchase a new one and give her my old Xr,
would it be easy to migrate my iphone Xr to a new 11 without using cloud?
including whatsapp and everything on it

Very easy. You can basically just hold them near each other. A cable is also possible.
Using iCloud backups is also very easy of course and I see no reason not to use it, but you can easily migrate without it as well. The phone will guide you through it too.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
AppleCare with theft coverage

the iPhone 11 US$699 is nice - coming from Mate 9 and Galaxy S10+

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
just want to reiterate DO NOT share an Apple ID whatever you do. Especially now with messages and photos and other items in the cloud tied to the Apple ID

family sharing for sharing purchases is nice and seamless.

Reactions: Mr.C and 26139

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Yep I was rushing the title, my bad :)

Got it, separate apple ids.

We're going with the iphone 11. We're based in the uk -London- and am a little confused about apple warranty.

Without applecare plus, can I still expect 2 years of warranty at Apple?
alternatively is applecare protection plan a thing? can't find it for sale online.
All I'm after is just 2-3 years of simple warranty with the ability to pop in an apple store and expect service in case of hardware issues.

My current iphone xr comes with applecare plus and upgrade program and regret having spent the money tbh.

what are your thoughts?

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Glad to hear your wife is safe and at home:p

From the Apple site:

Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary technical support. Both AppleCare+ and AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss extend that coverage1 and give you additional features such as 24/7 tech support and accidental damage coverage.

I'm not sure if this is any different in the UK than it is for us here in the US.

Apparently pick pocketing is an issue or you might not be buying her a new phone so maybe something to consider.

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
unfortunately here in the uk applecare doesn't cover theft and loss.

we're considering the same iphone as mine, the xr based on the iphone 11 warming up with limited use, discovered accidentally walking into an apple store yesterday and finding all iphone 11 warm if not hot too touch. Also the xr is a little cheaper which helps

Glad to hear your wife is safe and at home:p

From the Apple site:

Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary technical support. Both AppleCare+ and AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss extend that coverage1 and give you additional features such as 24/7 tech support and accidental damage coverage.

I'm not sure if this is any different in the UK than it is for us here in the US.

Apparently pick pocketing is an issue or you might not be buying her a new phone so maybe something to consider.

Reactions: staggerlee41

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Good to hear your wife is safe and sound. Sorry to hear abut the phone some low life scumbags out there in the world. Hope you get a phone sorted out quick.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Get an iPhone 11. It’s the better phone.
setup a new Apple ID for your wife.
setup family sharing on your Apple ID/iCloud and add your wife’s AppleID to it.

she can then install any of your purchased apps etc.

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015

we're considering the same iphone as mine, the xr based on the iphone 11 warming up with limited use, discovered accidentally walking into an apple store yesterday and finding all iphone 11 warm if not hot too touch. Also the xr is a little cheaper which helps
Mine doesn’t run hot. Most of the times it doesn’t even get warm. It does heat up a bit out of the box during set up but cools down and acts normally ones you get past the first half day.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I wouldn’t judge the iPhone 11’s on the store display models. Those are pretty much on all day long every day so are not a good example of normal every day use. My 11 Pro Max hardly ever gets very warm let alone hot.

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
You're lucky. All xr and 8 were cool as ice, all 11 between warm and hot.
Checking online proves it's a thing, or at least it's something worth worrying about when purchasing.

we went with the xr, same as what we already have, and no applecareplus.
thank you all for your help

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
You're lucky. All xr and 8 were cool as ice, all 11 between warm and hot.
Checking online proves it's a thing, or at least it's something worth worrying about when purchasing.

we went with the xr, same as what we already have, and no applecareplus.
thank you all for your help
Regular 11s are mostly cold to cold-ish. The oleds (pro and pro max) are the ones you are talking about.

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
I'm referring to the 11, they seem to get warm behind on the body and warm to hot at the base. These on all 11 I tried except one. None were in charge and all were tried at the store. Interestingly some xr were warm too but not too much.
I'm actually thinking of getting an 11, try it and if unhappy return it and get an xr.

The question is, can I then backup the 11 to itunes and potentially restore the backup on the xr?

thanks!

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
I'm referring to the 11, they seem to get warm behind on the body and warm to hot at the base. These on all 11 I tried except one. None were in charge and all were tried at the store. Interestingly some xr were warm too but not too much.
I'm actually thinking of getting an 11, try it and if unhappy return it and get an xr.

The question is, can I then backup the 11 to itunes and potentially restore the backup on the xr?

thanks!
Can’t speak for others but mine hasn’t gotten hot and only once became warm during the month I’ve had it so far. This is not including the initial start up and installing+indexing, it does become hot during this period for a few hours. After it’s been totally fine, cool almost all the time.

Reactions: Mr.C

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Thanks, my wife took possess of my iphone this week and is now rushing for me to get another one.

She's suggesting the Xr but being that I wish to hold to it for a few years I'll likely go with the top of the line generation.

With quick start (the transfer tool), is it possible to transfer from a new generation to an old generation iphone? Just in case I needed to revert back to the Xr...

Reactions: Mr.C
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.