Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSalty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Ok this may run long. My wife and I have shared the same apple acct for years, Its never been a problem untill she got an apple watch se and restored it from a backup. Heres the problem, It was my watch backup. Now my phone receives all her texts ( as well as mine). It has never been a problem before...
I erased her phone and watch, set her up with her own apple id and set her phone back up. I invited her to the family plan and enabled app and picture sharing. She has no old texts, notes and pictures. She is beyond upset. I had to restore her phone from a backup and Im back where I started, all texts show up on both phones. Is there a way out of this without me setting up a new apple acct and have her ask me to join her (my old acct) acct.

tivoman

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
I discovered this issue several iOS versions awhile ago. So to solve this issue I setup each phone with two Apple ID accounts. The only one that all the iPhones have in common is the App Store.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Backup her phone to a computer.

Check the iCloud settings on your phones. Make sure texts are not set to sync.

Also check the separate messages settings. That both aren’t setup with iMessage.

Make sure photos are set to download and keep originals. If it was set to optimized. Give a couple days to download. Backup again.

Turn off each item in iCloud. Keep items on phone when prompted. Remove from iCloud. Verify everything is still there.

Setup her new iCloud account. Now everything should sync to her new iCloud account. Keep items on phone when prompted. Choose to merge when prompted. Turn iMessage, &c back on. Now everything should sync to her new iCloud account.

Then you can futz around with family sharing and using the same Apple ID for the app store.

Alternatively, you can do this on your phone. Creating a new Apple ID for you and leaving her phone alone.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Most people use Messages incorrectly. It was never designed to be an archival storage depot for old messages. That's what email folders are for. It a good habit to delete all messages after a couple weeks or so. I delete all mine after a couple days.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Most people use Messages incorrectly. It was never designed to be an archival storage depot for old messages. That's what email folders are for. It a good habit to delete all messages after a couple weeks or so. I delete all mine after a couple days.

Not that it would solve any issue here, though.

Reactions: 8rlee8 and LFC2020

UncleSalty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Backup her phone to a computer.

Check the iCloud settings on your phones. Make sure texts are not set to sync.

Also check the separate messages settings. That both aren’t setup with iMessage.

Make sure photos are set to download and keep originals. If it was set to optimized. Give a couple days to download. Backup again.

Turn off each item in iCloud. Keep items on phone when prompted. Remove from iCloud. Verify everything is still there.

Setup her new iCloud account. Now everything should sync to her new iCloud account. Keep items on phone when prompted. Choose to merge when prompted. Turn iMessage, &c back on. Now everything should sync to her new iCloud account.

Then you can futz around with family sharing and using the same Apple ID for the app store.

Alternatively, you can do this on your phone. Creating a new Apple ID for you and leaving her phone alone.
Thank you This did the trick.

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
My wife and I have shared the same apple acct for years,

We do too (kinda), but I think differently than you. I set this up years ago before Apple Family-Sharing was invented.
a. We only wanted to buy apps and music once (and share them).
b. However, we wanted Text (iMessage), Notes, and everything else private/separate.

It takes 3 accounts.

We have a "Shared" Apple-ID that we use for Apple App store and iTunes purchases. You can enter that separately. We used her original account because it was first-setup and already had some purchases on it.

Then, we created 2 new ones so each could have our own personal Apple-ID Account for iMessage and everything iCloud related. Everything on the iCloud config page it turned on. Well except for iMessage, but that's just because I don't want to sync my Texts to the cloud for security reasons. I could if I wanted to and they definitely WOULD NOT mix with hers. If I want to get my Texts on my iPad also, there is a different way to do that.

Anyway, I originally set this up like 7 years ago (when I finally got my own personal iPhone) ... and it all still seems to work fine.

And the real Family Sharing seems to be working along-side it because we can share Subscriptions. Like Apple-TV+ and my 200gb iCloud Storage Account. We now both have plenty of room for pics/videos and device backups.

Last edited:

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Another person sharing the same Apple ID ?‍♂️ why ?‍♂️ when will people learn that this causes problems, not like it's hard to make your own Apple ID.

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
My wife & I do the same thing as @Tesla1856. It has worked well for us saving a lot of money on apps prior to family sharing. I can’t imagine the logistics of sharing a single AppleID. I still get amazed that some couples use a single email address.

Reactions: LFC2020

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
There's absolutely no reason for people to delete messages on a schedule like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.