Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
So anyone care to speculate on when WiFi 6 might be introduced into the MBP line? Would the rumored 16” fall release have the hardware available from typical apple suppliers? (Doesn’t apple usually use a separate WiFi chip and not the built-in intel wifi?) Or is it more likely next year given that there’s only a handful of WiFi 6 hardware out yet and Apple’s tendency to wait?

Purely speculative thread.

Reactions: cocoua

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I think we’ll see it in the refreshed Pro towards the end of the year.

The real question is not whether we will get it, but how will it be implemented. The Pros from 2015 onwards (excl. nTB) have had industry leading wifi. But some of the other vendors who jumped to wifi 6 have turned out pretty poor implementations.

I’m hopeful that we get wifi 6 and it’s as good as or better then the current Pro non-TB 802.11ac implementation, but I’m not holding my breath.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
in 2019, WIFI 6 it's still in final steps, I can see Apple making test for at least June 2020 before introducing it in any Mac, together with some extra upgrades, Macbook Pro 16" could be the first, adding new form factor and some little changes, iMac could be next, if there is something more to add (maybe an intel updated chips…) as it would be very very odd from Apple to update just one component in their products.
Mac Pros could be the last one, as they work with huge loads of data and wired connection is expected.
the bigger you are, the louder the mistake you make is, Apple is the king here, a lot of cover with new products, the same for the complaints, so they need to be very careful with that.

The retina macbook 2012 which I have, was almost 2 years in the market with a extremely annoying WIFI-bluetooth problem, they took a lot of time to fix it and was painful. Luckily was a firmware issue and could be solved remotely (but 2 years!!!).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.