Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
So I've got a whole houseful of Apple AirPort Express 802.11ac boxes forming my wireless network. They're running fine, to be honest, but I just received another off eBay ($45 these days) to fill a wifi "hole" where I just installed a Logitech Circle Cam for HomeKit (was getting periodic camera dropouts without it). I've got all the Airports connected with a gigabit ethernet backhaul, so it's not truly wireless mesh network, just multiple access points all on the same SSID. Faster than wireless mesh and it just works.

All the devices in my home -- various computers, phones, iPads, and tons of smart-home devices (lights, dimmers, switches, plug modules, security system, plus several cameras -- all happily switch back and forth from one access point to another as necessary. Wireless speeds top out at around 350Mb/sec for devices like laptops and iPads, even those on the 5GHz network, which is not unexpected given the age of the equipment.

However, the Airports are getting OLD... it's been several years since the last firmware update, obviously not fully supported any more and long since out of production, so who knows what kind of security issues might be lurking. And it's getting slow compared to more modern equipment.

Anyway, it will soon be time to replace the whole shebang. I've got cat 6 cable in the house to most rooms, gigabit internet service to the house, and a 24-port 1Gb switch tying it together. Who has a good recommendation for a modern WiFi 6E system that will cover around 9000 sqr. ft (including outside space) and 60+ devices? Likely will need a three access point mesh system (using either a dedicated wifi channel or ethernet backhaul to connect with each other). Willing to spend up to $1500.

Suggestions?

mrmacuser69

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2023
I like Eero from what I've heard, never used them though. Following because I'm quite curious as well.

Reactions: xraydoc

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
WiFi 6E is so new there are few client devices which support it… and existing clients which don’t never will. Your options increase (and your costs decrease) if you target WiFi 6 systems. Are you adamant about 6E feature?

Reactions: hobowankenobi

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
WiFi 6E is so new there are few client devices which support it… and existing clients which don’t never will. Your options increase (and your costs decrease) if you target WiFi 6 systems. Are you adamant about 6E feature?
Fair question. Since new Macs and reportedly new iPhones will support it, I don’t see a reason, other than cost, not to upgrade to the latest.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I'm using the Linksys Atlas Max 6E system. I have 3 nodes and each node is plugged into a gigabit backhaul network. The nodes will communicate with each other over the backhaul if it's available so you don't have to worry about them using up wireless bandwidth to talk to one another. I don't currently have any 6E capable devices. However, my Wifi 6 devices are doing really well and get full available bandwidth. Looking forward to getting the new M2 MBP where I'll be able to utilize the 6E functionality.

Reactions: xraydoc

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Personally, I wanted HomeKit compatibility for my router. At the time Wi-Fi 6 wasn’t supported so I went with a Linksys Velop system. My understanding is that their Wi-Fi 6 versions now support HomeKit, though I haven’t looked closely enough to see if 6E is supported. But, based on how the Velop has worked for me over the past 2+ years, I’d certainly look at Velop again.

Reactions: mfram

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Personally, I wanted HomeKit compatibility for my router. At the time Wi-Fi 6 wasn’t supported so I went with a Linksys Velop system. My understanding is that their Wi-Fi 6 versions now support HomeKit, though I haven’t looked closely enough to see if 6E is supported. But, based on how the Velop has worked for me over the past 2+ years, I’d certainly look at Velop again.
I guess I wouldn’t refuse a system that had HomeKit support for sandboxing my smarthome stuff, but I wouldn’t rule out a system if it didn’t have that feature. And I certainly don’t want to redo/reconfigure my whole HomeKit setup to activate HomeKit support on a wifi network (not sure what’s required to activate it).

So basically that’s not a priority for me.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I recently installed a network rack and centralized all my network gear in a closet. However, since moving the Xfinity Gateway into my network closet, the WiFi performance in the back yard has been terrible. I am getting over 900mbps down and over 100mbps up at my ethernet-connected Mac Mini (Xfinity recently increased the upload speed dramatically, which is welcome), but I was barely getting 5mbps up or down in the yard.

I figured mesh wifi was the way to go, so I ordered a TP-Link XE75 tri-band mesh router system and a gigabit cable modem from Motorola. I set it all up and it worked, but it wasn't smooth sailing. A small number of smart devices would not connect to the new wifi, notably the thermostat that wouldn’t latch on even if I limited the network to 2.4ghz only.

More disturbing, though, was the internet speed I was getting out of the new system. Wifi download speeds were notably better, but nothing was getting any more than 5mbps upload. My Mac mini was barely cracking 500mbps down over ethernet and was crawling at the same 5mbps upload speeds as the wifi. It also didn’t like me connecting the Mac via ethernet and wifi (the latter allows authentication to be done on my watch).

I gave up futzing with it, put the Xfinity Gateway back in place and, hey presto! Speed restored, the temperamental devices would now connect and everything else just dropped into place smoothly.

I'm going to send back the new modem and router, and I'm now looking at an Xfinity extender-pod for coverage in the back yard. How embarrassing for TP-Link and Motorola to be beaten into a cocked hat by the ISP’s equipment!

phillyman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I'll piggyback on this post. I'm having some issues after adding a fair bit of homekit stuff and upgrading my TVs etc. i also still have a legacy apple airport system. I don't have the option of an ethernet backbone.

I have a synology NAS and like it so I was leaning on getting the Synology RT6600ax. I looked into Eero and realized that amazon bought them so that was a no go. I saw the Linksys Velop system. I don't know much about Linksys and didn't even know about the homekit component with that router. Is that a feature people with homekit have been enjoying? How is Linksys data/privacy policies? Any obvious red flags people have stumbled over>

Is there a reason to go with the Velop over the Synology or vice versa? I would like 6E just to future proof my network but certainly don't need those speeds currently.. People that use synology, have you had any issues with your homekit network?

Thanks for any and all info,

Philly

Those that might have the Velop Atlas Pro (wifi 6) what real world speeds have you seen?

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I really like my Synology router and satellite mesh unit with Ethernet backhaul. I have the RT2600ac and MR2200ac. Covers my 4200 sq ft home wonderfully. SRM software is fantastic. Highly recommend.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you . I’m tempted also looking at the atlas pro from Linksys. It supports HomeKit … it seems like a feature that didn’t catch on so apple moved on but both look like good solutions. Certainly Synology has made excellent NAS and so I’m used to their basic interface.

Im glad to know that Synology makes good network hardware as well.

Philly

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Unless a MESH system has a dedicated wireless back haul channel, you effectively cut wireless your wifi performance in half.

IMHO, MESH is a gimmicky solution for those who don’t want or can’t run a wired back haul. And 6E products are overpriced, and will be replaced with WiFi 7 anyway. You can get more bang for the $ with WiFi 6 APs and wired back haul.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillytim

phillyman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I really like my Synology router and satellite mesh unit with Ethernet backhaul. I have the RT2600ac and MR2200ac. Covers my 4200 sq ft home wonderfully. SRM software is fantastic. Highly recommend.
That makes sense. I can't do an ethernet backhaul . Do the synology systems offer a wireless backhaul? Also if you use homekit did you put it on a separate wireless network? Just curious if that is a feasible solution.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
That makes sense. I can't do an ethernet backhaul . Do the synology systems offer a wireless backhaul? Also if you use homekit did you put it on a separate wireless network? Just curious if that is a feasible solution.
If you get a try-band system - i.e. one that runs the network on 2.4ghz, 5ghz and 6ghz - you can use the 6ghz band as a dedicated wireless backhaul (in fact, that's typically the default setting).

Reactions: phillyman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.