Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
This is really weird but I have tested this many times before posting. I went from a Dell latitude to a MacBook Pro 16 (Catalina). The reason I mention this as it doesn’t happen with windows laptop or my iOS devices.

My main router is a ISP provided one and I use my NETGEAR R7800 as my extended access point (wired backhaul) When I move from the main router and closer to the AP I think the MacBook Pro tries to connect to the AP but ends up rebooting the NETGEAR R7800. I have tried this so many times now so I know this happens. I have never known for a client to have this impact on a router in AP mode. None of my other devices tend to do this. In fact the AP comes to its normal state after rebooting and the MacBook Pro tries to connect and sends it again to reboot. This is an endless loop till I take my MacBook Pro away from this AP and closer to my main router.

As I mentioned there is no problem with iOS devices and other windows laptops. In fact I have another NETGEAR R7800 connected to another provider as the main router and there is no such problem even for the MacBook Pro.

This is extremely annoying and so far I was blaming NETGEAR firmware but the problem has always been MacBook Pro. Please help.

Posted on Apple community - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252415787

hdrummon

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
Aldie, VA
That is odd but I have never believed in mixing different routers and extenders from different vendors in the same network. I always turn off the Verizon Fios wireless portion of the main router and use the eero network as my network throughout the house and outside. Never have an issue whatsoever. Not sure if there is something with the main router but I've never been impressed with routers that the isps provide. I bet it's a firmware issue. You might want to try going with just one vendor as your network to prevent weird stuff happening.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd change out the NETGEAR R7800 for something else.
Perhaps a 2-node "mesh" system...?

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
It’s not a problem with the router. iOS or windows machines or Android TV don’t have any issues. It’s only the MacBook Pro.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
It’s not a problem with the router. iOS or windows machines or Android TV don’t have any issues. It’s only the MacBook Pro.
The logic doesn't follow there, because it's the router that's reacting to something in a way that it shouldn't. So whatever the MBP potentially is doing different shouldn't have this effect no matter what.

A quick google showed me a bunch of possibly related problems (ie situations where the router started rebooting itself); so there might be something there (off-MR).

Try the usual resetting and flashing the router with the latest firmware to see if they've been able to solve the problem in software; otherwise try to get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.