Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
Hi. I opened my mac mini 2,1 for a maintenance (change the battery and SSD). After I closed it, no Wifi and no Bluetooth. I opened again to examine the antennas, but both seams ok, no broken cable...

What else can I missing? Or maybe a software problem...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Check in the System Information (or System Profiler in older OS X systems), under the Bluetooth, and Wifi. Both should show the information for those devices, and not say something like "no hardware found"
Do the bluetooth and wifi cards show there as installed?

There are two connections on the bluetooth card, one is for the antenna, and the other is the data cable for bluetooth.
The bluetooth data cable also attaches to the interconnect board. Make sure that both ends of that bluetooth cable are securely connected.
THAT board (the interconnect board) may be your best choice for faulty connections.
Notice that your hard drive (and the optical drive) AND the bluetooth data cable all connect to that interconnect board. Check ALL connections on that board carefully. Make sure the board is seated completely to the logic board.

All that doesn't really explain the Wifi.
If all the connections seem to be properly connected (as far as you can tell), make sure that you try both SMC and PRAM resets.

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
Suddenly, both come back to live. But as long I could connect Mac Mini with my MacBook by Bluetooth PAN, I was unable to connect to the Internet. The Wifi shows only 2.4GHz LAN (I have one 5GHz) and were unable to log in and after a while it dies again.

So I think can be the interconnect board you mention. With bad connections, sometimes might have a partial bad signal, not enough to work properly. I'll disassemble it again and clean the connectors, as I do with memories, let's see.

Thank you for now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.