Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Am I wrong in assuming that this would ask me if I wanted to connect to a wireless network that is in range? Say I go to a friends house and he has a secured wifi router, would the iPhone not ask me if I want to join this new network?

It doesn't seem to be happening with my phone. :confused:

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
It might not ask since it is secure. Go to the settings and select the wifi network you want to connect to and enter the authentication and in the future it should just hook you up without even asking.

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
I guess that's how it works. I would prefer it asked if I want to connect to secure networks too though. Oh well it's not that big of a deal to go into settings and connect it.

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
It should ask if you want to join even if it is secure. Walking through downtown DC and using my phone it is constantly asking if I want to join networks and I would say a vast majority of them are secure.

zmit

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
walking through downtown DC im sure that a lot of them would actually be unsecured.
reason being, they are probably prescription based.
if the iphone asked you for every single wifi network, secured or not, it would get very very annoying.

it SHOULD at least ask for the unsecured ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.