Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tragedies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I've been in areas (such as airports) where there are free WiFi hot spots and if I move around the airport, away from that hotspot, I have to go to settings and find a free hot spot again. Is there an app that browses for free (such as Mcdonalds) around you, joins it, then when you get out of range it looks again?

And is there an app like that WiFoFum app that has a little more accurate radar, and lets you join a selected network? WiFoFum just shows you a list.
Hope you can help.

-mikey

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Have you turned on "Ask to Join Networks" in settings?

Anytime you are not connected to a network it will pop up when a new network is available and then if you connect to that network, it will be remembered next time you are in that area again.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
The app you're asking for really isn't possible from the App store. It would require you to run the app in the background, which is prohibited. I would suggest you look into the solution offered by soberbrain.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
check out the app Devicescape. It will auto login at free APs for you and ones you have accounts with (provided you have set them up in your profile). Coming also is the ability to register your friends devices so they can use your networks as well. I've used it a lot for my N95 and it's just become available for the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.